Diamond Compressor ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lenster, Feb 7, 2008.

1. lenster

lenster Member

Regular reader here 1st time post.
    Looking at buying a diamond comp.
    Currently using a Zoom PD01 to boost my fulldrive 2 mosfet, but feel i'm missing some sustain n compression .
    I also use a MXR 10 band in the loop for solos but i want to sculpt my sound a bit more with eq .
    Soooo , will the Diamond comp be enuff to give me a bit of boost n sustain for soloing.
    Also i love a comp on for clean tones which i really miss.
    [​IMG]

2. max_1975

max_1975 Member

The Diamond Compressor is one of the most transparent/unintrusive compressor out there! It works more than a studio compressor than a pedal. It's VERY different from the classic sound of Ross-style compressors (e.g. Keeley). You can hear it's effect when you switch off (and you feel that something is missing) :)
    I use it on my acoustic guitar and on my main electric guitar for clean/pristine sounds. I love it!

3. woude

woude Member

+1. But... it really doesn't give that much more sustain and compression to a fulldrive; because a fulldrive is already compressed and sustainy, (not in compcut mode) especially with the boost engaged. I gives you a bit more of the things you want, but not a lot.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Yep to everything he said. It's the first stompbox compressor I have ever loved in my 16 years of playing. The EQ in it is phenomenal. You can keep it flat for clean sustain, tilt it back a little to make everything sound a little richer and smoother, or ram it forward to make everything sound like 60s Beatle/Byrds leads.

5. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I haven't tried many compressors, but after having the Diamond on my board for about 6 months, I have absolutely no need to.

Does just what I want. Not too intrusive, just sounds right. Can get nice and squashed at higher settings but is extremely usable over the whole sweep of the comp knob. High headroom pedal, too -- a lot of available volume boost if needed. No noise. And the EQ is fantastic. Center is perfectly neutral, turn it down for richer tones and up for more chime. Extremely user friendly and makes my cleans sound utterly professional. With a tele through the Diamond Compressor, an analog delay, and an AC30, fuggetaboutit.

Part of me wants to try the BJF Pine Green compressor, but I really don't think I'll even entertain it. I'm happy with my Diamond.

6. lenster

lenster Member

I see it can be powered from 9 - 24 v. whats the main reason for this.
    I have 9v and 18 v on my board.
    More headroom ?

7. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Yep. Thats' what they say, but I've never once noticed a lack of headroom at 9v.