• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Diamond Crowning File Question.

Kenni

Hi there!

Happy holidays :)

I'm going to invest in a diamond crowning file, or two, perhaps.

My question is: Often I see two grits on the diamond files: 150 grit and 300 grit.
Do you need both grits or could one of them be enough?

I'm sure you're not going to use both files at the frets, right?

So what do you recommend or what do YOU use?

KGWagner

I always use the 300 grit file as I almost never want to cut as fast as the 150 will. Plus, the residual scratches are more easily removed.

bob-i

I use 300 grit, medium file. I don't have any small fret guitars, like standard fender or vintage Gibson, all my guitars are medium jumbo frets. A friend gave me a large file and I see no use for it at all, it must be for monster size frets. I setup my friends Strat awhile ago and borrowed a small file, the medium would not work, it would leave the frets too flat and potentially scratch up the fretboard.

Kenni

Thanks, everyone!

I think I'll go for the 300 grit diamond file then!
After that I can always invest in the other one, if needed ;-)

Cheers!

KGWagner

Good choice. They're expensive little rascals, but they're worth it. No file chatter so you get nice even cuts on the pull and push, they're strong enough to work stainless without a problem, and they last a long time. I do almost nothing but stainless, and my file is still as good as new after 3-4 years now.

Another thing you can do with them is cut strips of 3M polishing paper about an inch wide, and wrap them abrasive side out along the concave channel of the file. Has the effect of changing the grit of the file while maintaining its contour so you can get rid of the cutting scratches in the frets. It's like having a whole set of crowning files in progressively finer grits. Makes it easy to get frets ground pretty fine all the way around their shape, after which polishing takes almost no effort at all.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Another thing you can do with them is cut strips of 3M polishing paper about an inch wide, and wrap them abrasive side out along the concave channel of the file.
my worry there is that said sandpaper will hit the tops of the frets instead of just the sides, altering your hard-won leveling job.

KGWagner

It's fine enough that it's not removing enough material to make a measurable difference. It's more just to get rid of the scratches that you're going to have to get rid of somehow anyway.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom