1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diamond finally about to release the Halo Chorus and ST-Mix for the Memory Lane.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Aug 4, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

..."clips up within a week!"

cool.

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

NOOOOOOOO!

I'm changing jobs and won't have disposable income for some reasonably extended period of time! Delay this for... some reasonably extended period!!!

:)

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

This is one hell of a long week...15 days and counting.

Where are those clips?

5. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Can't wait to hear this pedal. I have three other Diamond Pedals. IMHO they are one of the best new pedal companies to come out in a while.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Anybody know the retail $$$ of the Halo? Sounds like it could give my DLS a run for the swirly spot on my board!

7. mknappe

mknappe Member

Hi! Just an update on the Halo Chorus sound clips... our recording studio time was rescheduled a couple of times over the past two weeks (we're finally supposed to get in tomorrow), and unfortunately our web admin has been on vacation and we were unable to post new info about when the clips would be available. Sorry about that! As soon as we have web development access again we'll post some pics as well. Thank you for your patience!

Cheers,

Michael Knappe
    Diamond Pedals

8. erksin

erksin Member

Michael -

It's a little hard to tell from the computer drawing, but what size enclosure is the Halo? Is the the Memory Lane or compressor sized box?

Also, what type of expression pedal will work with the Halo?

Thanks!

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Also, can the PAN / stereo box work with other pedals? I am assuming it can work with not only the memory lane but also the T.C. Vintage delay, and T-Rex. Perhaps others.

Also, can it take a mono pedal, and allow it to be a faux stereo?

10. retro

retro Member

Hammond cast aluminium 4.7 x 4.7 x 1.0 inch case.

11. erksin

erksin Member

Doh - thanks, I read over that part!

12. mknappe

mknappe Member

Yes, dimensions are 4.7" square, and about an inch high not including knobs.

So far we've had the best luck using a regular Boss EV-5 expression pedal. It doesn't get to the slowest rate with heel back (it's only a 10K pot, as opposed to the 25K pot used for the dial control), but it does give very smooth control over mid to faster rates because of the reduced resistance range.

Cheers,

Mike

13. mknappe

mknappe Member

The ST-MIX should work fine with other pedals as well. The Memory Lane was a special case in that no direct signal goes to the 'delay-only' jack when in true bypass. I just looked at the TC / T-Rex page, it looks like their two outputs can be used to send direct signal to two amps, so the ST-MIX might be a bit redundant for those particular pedals. It can certainly allow the creation of weird stereo sound fields by allowing the combining of two mono in/stereo out effects.

It will take a mono pedal and allow it to drive two amps in faux stereo, with footswitchable phase inversion (and ground isolation) of the right channel.

Cheers,

Mike

14. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Woohoooooooooooo~~~~~ come to papa!!!

both these should be killer effects Michael:AOK

15. gururyan

gururyan Member

Very nice, beautiful sounding. I just got down listening to a good clip of the Halo Chorus that Mike (diamond pedals) emailed me. He's off to a show and will get the clip up, and more, soon.

I'm not even a big chorus fan, but if the planned clips sound as impressive as the one I have been listening too...I may finally add a chorus to the board.

16. Kingofguitar

Kingofguitar Member

care to share the clip?

17. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

This pedal would definitely be on my "To Buy" list except for one thing - why the funky voltage? 24V converted internally to 15V? Is there no way to make the pedal so it will run off a 9V power supply and internally convert the power to 15V?

18. gururyan

gururyan Member

You've got a PM. :)

19. mknappe

mknappe Member

Hope it's ok to jump in here... yeah, the powering issue was a tough engineering decision and one we debated for some time. A design goal from the beginning was to operate the MN3007 bucket brigade delay at the optimum 15V voltage, but also a design goal has been to fit everything into a 1590Q enclosure (4.7" square). The Halo Chorus draws approximately 90 mA, which meant the simplest voltage conversion solutions that supply 10-20 mA wouldn't work, and higher current solutions would have required too much board space (the current circuit is VERY tightly packed with 5 1/4" jacks occupying space over top of the circuit board, there was simply no physical room left to incorporate a switching supply).

The good news is that since the Halo Chorus will run on 18V, many widely available pedal powering solutions can power it directly with proper cabling. Direct 18V outputs are available on the Dunlop DC brick and pedalgear juicebox, and 18 V on a PP2+ can be generated by daisy-chaining two 9V outputs. Also, the Godlyke Powerall has a Power Pump Voltage Convertor accessory that can provide 18V. The Halo can be powered from these or similar pedal power supplies with either a polarity crossover cable that comes standard with the pedal supply or a dual 9V to 18V crossover cable we can custom make.

Hope that was helpful, please let us know if you have any questions at all about this.

Cheers!

Michael Knappe
    Diamond Pedals

20. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Michael, thanks for the info. Okay, it's back on my list! I've been thinking about picking up a PP2 or a Brick anyway as the current power supply on my board is just about at its limit. Looks like you guys have really put a lot of thought into the engineering of this pedal. Can't wait to hear one live!