Diamond J-Drive MK3, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Resonate01, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

I've been looking at this pedal recently, but haven't found much info on it. Judging from the demos I think it sounds great, but was wondering if anyone on here owns one and what they personally think of it.

I own a Little Green Wonder, which I really like, but I need a boost. Was looking at the TC Mini Spark. I'm interested in the 2 in one combination of the J-Drive, and if it came down to it, I'd get that and sell my LGW.

Any thoughts?

2. TMcB

TMcB Member

I don't think drives are Diamond's strong suit. I've owned a J-Drive twice and neither time have I gotten on well with it, although it might have been used with the wrong type of amp. It always seemed pretty grainy and dark to me, but the boost was nice.

3. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

That's what I've been hearing. It's a shame.

4. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

That was my exact experience when I tried one.

5. bigdeal

bigdeal Member

in my opinion, the drive side is a serviceable low to med gain od that can be cool in the right application, but i probably wouldn't use it on a board as my sole od sound. the boost is amazing and worth the price of the pedal on it's own. the two can be used independently.

6. dingleberry1

dingleberry1 Member

The boost is awesome, I use the Boost-Eq which takes the boost as the basis for the circuit. JDrive pairs excellently with an ac30

7. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Gotta disagree there. I'm a long-time user of the J-Drive TR (9 years and counting) and have found it to be remarkably versatile. The key is working the Warmth dial.

It's not a crunchy overdrive, more a smooth sorta deal. It can get chunky though, don't get me wrong.

I keep the drive way down, and use the boost a lot for kicking in salutations.

I owned the Cornerstone for a while too, so many tonal options to be had from that, though it was surplus to my requirements in the end.

The one I find surprising is not more "mainstream" is the Fireburst, that pedal kicks some serious backside! Long-time user of that one too.

I run it after the J-Drive which interacts beautifully with it, using both drive and boost.

8. awallace

awallace Member

This is very true. The Warmth control is not a normal tone control and I think people tend to set it in basically the same spot they would set the tone control on another overdrive pedal. I think the best way to set it is to start with the Warmth control full counter clockwise which is the brightest setting. Set the drive control for the desired amount of overdrive and then start bringing up the Warmth control. There's lots of low end on tap if you want it and it can add some serious girth to a strat or tele bridge pickup if you want.

9. TMcB

TMcB Member

Yeah, I had a Fireburst as well and I just couldn't get on with it either, although still much more so than the J-Drive. I think they both like amps that already have a bit more mids and treble going on naturally. I wish I could like them because I like the fact that they're unique pedals that have their own character, not just run of the mill tubescreamer knock offs.

10. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

I found that the J-Drive MKIII had a great sound. super-rich harmonics, smooth & creamy...BUT, I couldn't get it to unity gain with the volume totally maxed out. sounded great in the bedroom, disappeared completely when playing next to a drum set.

11. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

That's a shame really. I feel it would be the perfect addition to my board. I love the clean boost side, but I also need a good OD.

12. williamisthisit

williamisthisit Member

Ed from Radiohead and Stephem Malkmus from Pavement both use one. So there is a way of using this pedal next to a drum set and it must sound good in some applications.

I also have a lot of curiosity about this pedal. Too bad it's hard to buy and there's not much videos of it.

13. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

I should clarify - with both the drive and the boost maxed, I could hear the pedal ok. my drummer did have insanely gigantic cymbals, it was kinda hard to hear anything but them! thing was I wanted, at the time, a boost & drive situation, and with the J-Drive, I felt like I lost the boost option because I always had to have it on. that's a preference thing, if you are Steve Malkmus, you can try every pedal and if there's one that really does it for you, you can focus around it and make it work. I needed to be more utilitarian at the time. again - it sounds great. I've wondered if the guitar sound on 'Church on White' was the J-Drive. I guess it probably didn't exist yet..? If I had been recording at the time I would have definitely used it for that. I was comparing it with an MXR boost/OD and Xotic AC+ and ended up going with the AC+. no trouble getting that heard with my setup of the time, which would have been a Fender Aerodyne Strat & Fender Twin Custom 15, an 80 watt amp with serious output. but, I thought the J-Drive had the nicest overall overdrive character. it really does sound great, I was just having a way smaller OD section at the time. I have an almost entirely different rig now tho, would try one again.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  14. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

That doesn't sound right, maybe you had a faulty one?

I have plenty of volume boost on tap for the drive section (without the boost section kicked in).

15. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

The EQ controls are active. I usually dial the bass down a bit, and add a little treble, for the regular setting (i.e. the mid-boost off).

My amp is quite "British sounding" in that it's not super bright. It's a non-master volume deal and I tend to run it fairly clear.

16. awallace

awallace Member

That's odd, there should be tons of output available on the Drive side without using the Boost. Typically with the Drive and Warmth at noon, unity should also be at about noon on the Volume control. High Warmth control settings can make for a pretty bassy tone with not a lot of cut however... maybe that was the issue?