Diamond Marquis Treble Booster

I have zero experience with treble boosters but love the results others get while using them. I found a Diamond Marquis, for a steal and am tempted to big it a shot. How much low end does a treble booster shave off? I like my bass frequencies, but realize in a band context it could be beneficial. Also the Marquis has a Germanium setting as well as a hybrid, Im assuming the Germanium has more grit, can one get good high gain tones from stacking pedal dirt and running a treble booster at the beginning of their chain?

Meriphew

I was at the GC in downtown Seattle a couple of years ago right before Xmas. They had a big pile of brand new ones that they were selling for $50. I was in a pedalboard downsizing mode, so I passed on the deal.

kiki_90291

What kind of amp are you playing through? And what dirt pedals? I have not tried the Marquis, but have used a few different kinds of treble boosters and my experience is that they sound awesome into darker amps set at the edge of or into breakup (or dirt pedals that replicate that sound), but can sound really awful into clean bright amps (like a blackface). So it depends on your rig. Assuming a treble booster is right for you rig, I'd be surprised if the Marquis wasn't worth it - Diamond seems to make really great stuff . . .

What kind of amp are you playing through? And what dirt pedals? I have not tried the Marquis, but have used a few different kinds of treble boosters and my experience is that they sound awesome into darker amps set at the edge of or into breakup (or dirt pedals that replicate that sound), but can sound really awful into clean bright amps (like a blackface). So it depends on your rig. Assuming a treble booster is right for you rig, I'd be surprised if the Marquis wasn't worth it - Diamond seems to make really great stuff . . .
Im running a Peavey Triple X, on the clean channel only, essentially using a Bogner Ecstacy Red Pedal as my gain channel. Also using a BAT LSTR for fuzz sounds. I plan on using the Marquis as a "more" pedal for certain parts that require a pushed, rude tone.

Dr. Lo

Im running a Peavey Triple X, on the clean channel only, essentially using a Bogner Ecstacy Red Pedal as my gain channel. Also using a BAT LSTR for fuzz sounds. I plan on using the Marquis as a "more" pedal for certain parts that require a pushed, rude tone.
If you want to use the germanium side of the Marquis, then I suggest you setup your Bogner pedal for a moderate drive level (rule of thumb: if light picking doesn't result in a clean-ish sound, your gain level is too high), and a tone that has a full sound (letting solid bass and low mids come through, while not having shrieking treble; think classic Marshall plexi sounds like AC/DC). With that foundation, the germanium circuit of the Marquis will give you beautifully tight and focused lead or heavy rhythm sounds.

If you want to use the germanium side of the Marquis, then I suggest you setup your Bogner pedal for a moderate drive level (rule of thumb: if light picking doesn't result in a clean-ish sound, your gain level is too high), and a tone that has a full sound (letting solid bass and low mids come through, while not having shrieking treble; think classic Marshall plexi sounds like AC/DC). With that foundation, the germanium circuit of the Marquis will give you beautifully tight and focused lead or heavy rhythm sounds.
Fantastic advice, thank you!

Trotter

It's one of my favorite treble boosters. I actually sold my Beano Boost after I got it.

Seems to sound best with a battery and in the 'germanium mode'.

Great, underrated pedal!

I've never used a treble booster before, gave Marquis a shot and I'm stoked :)

You can check it out here: - the distorded sound in choruses is Lovepedal BBB13 and then I push it over the top with Diamond Marquis on the solo (around 2:45).
killer tone and playing

aaronjcurtis

Silver Supporting Member
Well Pete Thorns recent video stoked my interest for treble boosters. Any more current reviews of this pedal?
Diamond make fantastic pedals. I think if you’re in the market for a TB then this one would be fantastic. That said, I’m also curious what others have said about this pedal.

aaronjcurtis

Silver Supporting Member
I've had one on my board since 2011, it has a fat, cutting tone that sounds more vintage to me than my Naga Viper (another killer TB as well). I love it and it definitely turned me into a treble booster junkie (And I was already an OD addict)...
The only video I’ve seen of it seems to run it on its own not stacked into anything else. Have you found it versatile enough to do that and get some good tones, or is it still preferred into an overdriven amp or OD pedal?

CJReaper

The only video I’ve seen of it seems to run it on its own not stacked into anything else. Have you found it versatile enough to do that and get some good tones, or is it still preferred into an overdriven amp or OD pedal?
You would definitely want to run it into an OD or dirty amp, every treble booster I've used sounds pretty bad into a dead clean amp. In the "Hybrid" mode it's more of a flat clean boost so that option would work with a clean amp for boosting but when it's set to "Germanium" it's best if it's running into some kind of dirt.

john l

Silver Supporting Member
I really wanted to like the Marquis but it joins the ranks of a large amount of treble boosters out there for me in that it boosts high mid but leaves the treble frequencies alone and that will always add up to honky sounding TB. All the TBs Ive really fallen in love with have a slight treble lift that compensates for this that helps keep things defined.

Trending Topics