• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Diamond Memory Lane 2 Discontinued Soon?

Mar 09:
"End of life notice: the Memory Lane 2 is unfortunately nearing the end of it's lifespan. The supply of NOS Panasonic MN3005 chips we use is becoming very limited and very expensive. Luckily, we've managed to stockpile a modest supply which will allow us to continue building Memory Lane 2 for a short time but when they're gone... they're gone!"

-From Diamond's Website
http://www.diamondpedals.com/

Anyone else thinking of getting one now before they are gone? I really hope used prices don't go up for these, they are expensive enough as it is.

Do you think Diamond will develop a new delay once the stock for these runs out?

markom89

I'm 99.99% certain that there'll be a new delay by them once the ML2 is gone.

jayn

Since they are so expensive and since they don't have a large, rabid following, I wouldn't think that the used prices would move much, if at all.

I don't know the performance benefits/disadvantages of the new chips, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't come out with a new delay pedal. Smart guys who make outstanding products...

22Top

What is the ML1 running for now used??? Isn't it kind of the same situation...? I don't see the issue about these chips... are they the holy grail of BBD? I agree that the fellas at Diamond will surely find something else! Wicked stuff... love my ML2!

stratplayer80

Bought one and didn't like it. The usability was great but the sound left me wanting my TTE back. I traded it to TMock for another TTE and never looked back.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Retrosonic uses current production chips and made them sound amazing. Diamond will pull off the same feat with a new chip.

Im a little concerned than that are saying EOL and not Out of Production. EOL is usually a software term that means the company wont support the product at all any more. I hope that doesn't mean all their warranties are done for them.

mc2

Retrosonic uses current production chips and made them sound amazing. Diamond will pull off the same feat with a new chip.

Im a little concerned than that are saying EOL and not Out of Production. EOL is usually a software term that means the company wont support the product at all any more. I hope that doesn't mean all their warranties are done for them.
Great post here-I noticed the same thing-maybe it's just a current techno-quip and nothing more. I can't imagine that they would not support a $600 pedal. Have there been other companies who have abandoned their customers?

awallace

Hey guys, thought I'd chime in here to clarify a couple of things... I used 'end of life' to describe the 'demise' of the Memory Lane 2 as it's something that everyone here at Diamond is sad to see go. Kind of like losing an old friend or something. Discontinued is perhaps a more accurate description. I made a post in the Manufacturers Forum about the Memory Lane 2:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/517858

The important thing to note is that we will continue to honor all warranties for existing Memory Lane 1 & 2 pedals. We're keeping a small cache of the MN3005 chips specifically for warranty repairs. No worries, we have no intention of abandoning our customer base!

Aimish Wallace
Diamond Pedals

drolling

Well, it's obviously not just the chip that makes a delay sound the way it does; My EH Deluxe Memory Man also has two MN3005s, and it sounds very, very different from my MemoryLane 1. If they'd sounded remotely alike I would have ditched one of them by now, but, as an analog delay junky, I hadda keep 'em both!

Bobster

hmm, sorry for thread hijacking, since we're on the topic of chips, how bout the Panasonic MN3205 BBD? Anyone compared or used them before? They seem to be rare.

coolhand78

I'm devastated... I've got the ML1 and finally got to play the ML2 and i loved it only to be told today that they're being discontinued... Hopefully i'll be able to generate the funds to get one before they're gone... I just bought an Ep3 today so the fundages are low... :(
Diamond make great great pedals, i'm a huge fan and their custom service a amazing... i wish i could try out more of their stuff... The j drive looks hot!

awallace

hmm, sorry for thread hijacking, since we're on the topic of chips, how bout the Panasonic MN3205 BBD? Anyone compared or used them before? They seem to be rare.
The MN3205 was a later release from Panasonic with the same number of delay stages but designed to run at lower voltage than the 3005 and offered a slightly poorer signal to noise ratio. The higher voltage operation of the MN3005 also offers increased headroom. The currently produced Coolaudio chips are the the MN3205 design.

The early BOSS DM2 pedals that some swear by used the MN3005, while later versions used the MN3205. Interestingly, BOSS ran the MN3005 in the DM2 at lower voltages for 9V operation and apparently had to select chips that wouldn't distort at the lower voltage.

Cheers,

Aimish Wallace
Diamond Pedals

shizzaq

Silver Supporting Member
Aimish, if you can some how make a new pedal with the current production bbd chips and make it 1 second of delay with a few more stomp ratios (like 2/1 and 4/1 as well as your current dotted 8th ratio) and come in for a similar price that might be the perfect delay pedal. One other thing, I dont see a lot of guys on this forum talking about your Phase pedal but I just wanted to say that thing sounds amazing. I am not sure if you designed it or one of your guys but whoever did deserves a round of applause.

coolhand78

is it possible to have those old chips custom made...? i think mike fuller has some chips made to his specs for some of his pedals?

I'm a huge diamond fan... i'd love to check out a J Drive apparently they made/make them with germanium transistors? this sounds like a pedal i could get into a lot!!!

awallace

Aimish, if you can some how make a new pedal with the current production bbd chips and make it 1 second of delay with a few more stomp ratios (like 2/1 and 4/1 as well as your current dotted 8th ratio) and come in for a similar price that might be the perfect delay pedal. One other thing, I dont see a lot of guys on this forum talking about your Phase pedal but I just wanted to say that thing sounds amazing. I am not sure if you designed it or one of your guys but whoever did deserves a round of applause.
Shizzaq, thanks for the suggestions. The trick with additional ratios would be making them accessible for live use without having to bend down to turn a knob or flip a switch. It's something we'll be looking at for sure.

I can't take credit for the Phase design, that's all company founder Mike Knappe but thanks for the applause anyway, it's appreciated. We're getting a lot of praise for that pedal from phaser aficionados.

Cheers,

Aimish Wallace
Diamond Pedals

awallace

is it possible to have those old chips custom made...? i think mike fuller has some chips made to his specs for some of his pedals?

I'm a huge diamond fan... i'd love to check out a J Drive apparently they made/make them with germanium transistors? this sounds like a pedal i could get into a lot!!!
Hi Coolhand, with regards to having the MN3005 chips made- no one is doing it yet. Perhaps Coolaudio will start offering them at some point. I could be wrong but the Fulltone chips are likely just re-badged Coolaudio chips. As has been said before, if you buy a large quantity from them you can have them print whatever you want on the chips.

The J-Drive TR was a limited edition of 100 that we did with a 2N388 JAN (Joint Army Navy) germanium transistor in the boost section. It could be used in combination with a JFET for a clean boost or switched to a germanium only treble boost.
The overdrive section of that particular pedal is the same as the current Mk3. The germanium treble boost is a cool sound... I was using one last week in front of a blackface Super Reverb combined with one of the early DriveSE pedals. I didn't have my usual selection of pedals on hand so I grabbed these two off my pedal shelf- great combination! It's always fun to 'rediscover' pedals you haven't tried in a while.

Hope that's helpful!

Regards,

Aimish Wallace
Diamond Pedals

drod2045

Silver Supporting Member
fulltone claims he designed his own chip but thatd be interesting if he just rebadged them...

Sniper-V

The guys @ Diamond Pedals rock!

Happy owner of a modded ML1 and ML2, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Sad to see them go, but that should make them a little more desirable.
IMO, the best analog delay pedal w/ TAP.

Trending Topics