Diamond Memory Lane or a T-Rex Replica?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matts Tone, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Supporting Member

I currently own the Diamond Memory Lane but have been thinking recently I would be more suited to the T-Rex Replica.

I love the slapback delay tone of the Memory Lane but are not as keen when the delay is put to the max!! I'm also thinking the extra delay time of the Replica would suite me better & being a digital delay I'm sure the pedal will have more of that "pristine tone" at longer delay times.

From the sound samples I've heard I was impressed with the T-Rex Replica but are not 100% sure I want to sell the Memory Lane, so I guess I'm going to have to try a Replica out side by side with the Memory Lane & see which I prefur.

Have any of you guys tried either pedal & what are your thoughts on them?

Thanks in advance guys for your comments!!

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I tried both of them when I was looking for a good delay, there was also a quicksilver involved. I took the ML over the replica and quicksilver. I like analogue delay more, it just sounds better to me. I also like the fact that it has modulation. Im into that. I dont see why you need more delay time that what the ML has to offer... I mean the replica is also a cool delay. Its got a bit longer delay time. Has a bit better clarity on the repeats. The "brown" button doesnt make much of a difference. Id say the quick silver would of been my second choice. Its also a really cool delay. Dont get me wrong though, all three are among the best delays Ive ever tried out. I just went with the ML. It sounds better to ME...hope that helps a little bit...

3. Matts Tone

Yeah I mean I still actually like the Memory Lane & as I've said I love the slapback delay tone that you can get out of it & the tap temp is equally impressive but I guess I've been interested in trying the T-Rex replica for sometime!!
    As the first delay I bought was a Maxon AD-900 BUT at the same time was seriousally thinking about the T-Rex Replica but I decided to go with the true analog delay & the only reason I sold the Maxon was due to the fact that I thought the delay had a slightly dark tone & when I was looking at other delays earlier this year again I was interested in the Replica BUT liked the options of the Memory Lane so went for that!!

So I guess the T-Rex Replica is the one delay pedal that I've had my eye on without ever trying it out & I think if I play the Replica against the Memory Lane then which ever I prefur I'm sure would put my delay concerns to bed!! I would obviousally love the Fulltone tape delay BUT that's way too much $$$$$$$ for me!!!!

Any more views on the T-Rex Replica or Diamond Memory Lane appreciated!!!

4. Matts Tone

Well I've just ordered the T-Rex Replica & I should have it tomorrow, so I'll be able to compare the Replica against the Memory Lane & see which I prefur!!!

5. threm

threm Member

Let`s hear how they compare!

Looks like there`s a Replica on David Gilmours board now

[​IMG]

6. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

the Replica isnt a anlogue delay. its a digital delay which sounds very very close to a anlogue delay. Most people like it (like analog mike loves it).
    sorry to hurt you! but its meant to be killer!

Aj

7. Matts Tone

Yeah I knew the T-Rex Replica was digital & not analog!!

I guess that's why I like the pristine quality I hear from the sound samples of the Replica, but the pedal still has that analog flavour to it BUT with a longer delay time due to it being digital!!! I mean one of the music store dealers I had spoken to in the UK who had played the Replica had thought it was analog & didn't even realise it was digital.

I'll post my opinons of the T-Rex Replica against the Memory Lane in a day or so but I'm sure I'll find out that each pedal has its pro's & con's, I'll just have to decide which pedal fits my needs & go with that.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I still might pick up a replica though, Ive got like 3 delays now (TTE, ML and DL4), and have a echoczar on the way, and have been looking at the Cornish T.E.S. lately. I love my TTE though, Ive only had it for about a week, its the best sounding delay ever... I want to see if either the T.E.S. or echoczar w/ angelbaby will be able to beat it though... and like I said I might still pick up the t-rex, or quicksilver... damn it, since when am I that much into delays?!?!?.... its true I use them alot...

9. Matts Tone

Wow Mark you've got a Fulltone TTE now I am jealous!!

I have never heard the TTE in person but just from the sound samples it just sounds AMAZING!!! BUT the cost is too rich for my blood, I think over here in the UK it's around about the 1,000 UK pound mark.

As I've mentioned I'm likelly only going to keep one delay the T-Rex Replica or Diamond Memory Lane unless they are sublime together then I would have to kick off another pedal, probably my Analogman Clone Chorus BUT I really like that pedal & can't see myself doing that!!

It seems alot of top pros are using the T-Rex Replica live, I mean Santana, Gary Moore, John Mayer, Brad Whitford, Jim Weider & now the great David Gilmour that's one impresive list :JAM !!

10. highgeer

highgeer Member

I A/B'ed the ML and the Replica about two weeks ago, and everyone involved much preferred the Replica. THe modulation of the ML was cool, but for delays, the Replica was the clear winner.

Mike

11. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Does the Replica run off 9V?

12. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

13. Medication

Medication Member

blackbox quicksilver: Modulation, FX loop, a separate switch to swap between Long and Short delay times, a Tone knob to adjust the fidelity of repeats, a jack from an expression pedal to control delay time and create all of those crazy pitch bending effects, relatively small footprint, and it's 9 volts!

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

any sound samples?

15. 13strigoi

13strigoi Member

+1 on the Quicksilver. It doesn't have a tap tempo though so if that's important you'll probably want to go with something like the Replica. I don't use it so I prefer the setup of the Quicksilver, I can switch between a delay I have setup for leads and one I have setup to do more of a reverb type sound for everything else.

16. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

How does the DLS Echo Tap hold up agianst the ML, TR and QS?

17. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

I picked the echo tap over a t-rex and various other pedals I tried. I just felt it kept the original guitar signal better and colored the tone less and had less noise that alot of others......but delays like alot of other pedals is subjective.....what one likes someone else might not!

18. Matts Tone

Well I have now tried both the Diamond Memory Lane & T-Rex Replica for most of today & I am impressed with both units BUT they both have there pro's & con's.

The pro's to the Replica are: fidelity of the pedal, good amount of delay for me (1.5 seconds), very good tap tempo, quiet unit, & a nice compact size.
    The cons: Doesn't quite have the vintage delay tone of the Memory Lane due to being digital (nearly but not quite), wall wart pedal.

The Pro's to the Memory Lane: Vintage delay tone, great tap tempo, not a wall wart pedal (I have the custom cable from Diamond to run the pedal through my Voodoo Lab Pedal power).
    The cons: Not quite enough delay time for me (0.5 seconds), when tweaking the pedal it can start oscillation when you don't want it to, a little bit noisier than the Replica, large pedal when compared to a Replica.

As I only want one delay pedal I have weighed up the pro's & con's of both & although I think for the slapback tone the Memory Lane is slightly better than the Replica, I prefur the Replica's all round versatility & with the 1.5 seconds delay time I would for ME have to give the slight edge to the Replica but it was a tough decision to make & I would rate each pedal highly & feel fortunate enough to have been able to play them both!!!

Now back to: :RoCkIn !!

19. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

This is a difficult thread for me to read, as I ordered a custom color ML a few weeks ago and can't wait to receive it. The Replica was the other pedal in the running, but I love modulation so I went for the ML. I'm currently using a H&K Replex, which is cool, but somehow just isn't doing it for me at the moment. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about the ML vs. the Replex. Let me know.

ps: I'm new here ... someone at HC tipped me off about this forum.

20. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Here's a hearty and warm welcome to Warmth! Let us know how you like the ML once you use it.