1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diamond Memory Lane Questions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Got one on the way.
    Any "tricks" you've found? Special applications?
    Things you don't like about it?

ALSO...what expression pedals are people using and has anyone tried the FoxRox pedal with it?

2. drolling

drolling Member

Michael @ Diamond recommends the Moog expression pedal as the only one that'll work correctly.

I use a no-name Italian made pedal (that came w/my Moogerfooger) and it works, but not perfectly.

I've no complaints about the ML. In fact, working w/it has made me want an Echoczar even more - for the longer delay time, stereo outs, etc..

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

drolling,

That is so weird. Same thing here. I'm really pleased with the ML but still I want to try the echoczar. Joined the list today for one + angelbaby and foot controller.

The ML is easily the best I've ever tried. I love the EQ and how it screws up the repeats when set to treble enchancement. I also love the fact that it stays clean and wont distort in the same way as my old DMM.

Diamond rocks! It's going to be tough between the ML and Echoczar!

4. drolling

drolling Member

Nothing weird about acquiring a taste for tone! When your Echoczar's ready, I'm sure you'll have no trouble flipping the Diamond delay.

I tend to keep stuff, if I can afford to. Analog delay's like any other effect - there's so many flavors & it's nice to have choices. For all its drawbacks, I've still got the EH MemoryMan that the Diamond was meant to replace. It's got a wilder, rougher feel to it that I've grown attached to over the years. Who knows, you might feel the same way about the Diamond when your E'czar's finally ready.

5. Last Nerve

Where did everyone get their Y Cables for the outputs?
    Or did you make them yourselves?

6. drolling

drolling Member

You mean for the "effects loop"? If so, I haven't even tried that application. I use that jack as an input for an expression pedal to control the feedback (# of repeats). For years I used an EH Deluxe Memory Man mounted on a mic stand at waist level, so I could grab the dial and send the delay into self-oscillation while playing. It's so nice to be able to keep my hands on the guitar and use a foot pedal to control the regeneration instead..

7. Last Nerve

I read if you plug a Y Cable into both outputs, then the delays will trail off after you turn the ML off...rather than cut out.
    drolling...what EX Pedal are you using? I'd love to use a FoxRox EX Pedal, its smaller, built well, and I love how the cable is housed inside.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Like I said earlier, there's nothing written on the pedal except for "made in Italy". It a pretty cheezy black plastic thing that I got w/my Moogerfooger a few years back. The Moog exp. pedals are supposed to be ideal controllers for the MemoryLane- I've been meaning to order one.

Have you written to Michael Knappe at Diamond? He's extremely helpful and has answered every question I've thrown at him very quickly & thoroughly.

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Drolling,

I'm sort of getting in the groove of waiting for the echoczar. I loce the feedback oscillation switch and all the variables it has. What did you get with the echoczar?

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'm definately getting on the list as soon as I get a steady job...

It would be really cool to keep all the delay pedals instead of just selling them. I mean, I guess it's not like that one pedal can do it all. Every gagdet have their own specialities, and no matter how great the Echoczar sounds or the tricks it could pull I guess I'd still miss my Memory Man from time to time, just for the stuff it does really well.. By removing the "cons" you can also remove the character and persona of the pedal. It's a bit like when recording music, keep cleaning and editing the tracks and finally you just got bunch of stuff with no soul...

I'd really love to have two-three different delays. On the other hand I'd like to get the Echoczar with all the goodies but I'd really love to have a good sounding delay pedal with maybe three knobs, some Maxon product maybe.. Just for the versatility. If we have 5-6 od/dist boxes, why shouldn't we also have multiple delays? ;)

11. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, well, when I put in my order last July, I figured all I needed was the expression pedal - but the modulation on the Diamond delay is so damned addictive (compared to the insane, sea-sick slop of the MemoryMan's "chorus/vibrato" mode) that I realized I'd be crazy not to go for the Angel Baby, too - So I added that to my order last week. Pretty sure I won't be hearing from Ed for quite some time, tho'.
    Well, I hope that I NEVER have as many delays as the mountain of od/dist boxes that are piling up here - but I do have a nice collection. When digital delays first came out, I had to have longer & longer delay times- there was nothing over 300 milleseconds available in those old analog pedals. In the early 80s, I got an 8 second digital delay & started getting into sampling/looping. And now I've got a bunch of those, too...

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Last July? Wow! I guess I've got some waiting to do!!

Might have to get a few other delays before that. I tried an original Ibanez AD-80 today and it was a total killer. Really nice! I might have to look into the Maxon reissue.

I think I'll buy a DMM back again too. Just put on a shelf somewhere and use it now and again...

13. drolling

drolling Member

That's more or less why I grabbed the Diamond. I'm up in Canada where the pedal's made, so I got a good deal on it. I still use a digital delay, too, for those crazy tricks you can do with dotted 8th notes - the repeat has to be really crisp & loud for it to work right.

As far as I can tell, Ed's still working on pre-paid Echoczar orders from last May, so you've got plenty of time to save up for it. Unless he gets someone to help him build, I figure the wait's at least 9 months, and probably closer to a year, or more.. maybe..

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Oh gosh! I'll just have to forget about the whole thing then for 6+ months and then start waiting. Did you pre-pay? I didn't...

15. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, best to just put it out of your mind completely. He stopped taking payments in May, so I've got no money tied up in this thing at all. In fact, I've scraped the money together two or three times now, but keep blowing it on other stuff; fuzzes, boosters.. i just ordered an Antelope Morning Dew EQ today.. gotta stop hangin around here.. its killin me..

BUT - I've NEVER sounded better. Chops haven't improved much in the past year.. but my rig.. my tone- ahh man- I just push a button, hit a power chord AND grin like a drooling retard:RoCkIn !!!