Diamond Memory Lane vs Echoczar

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by classic, Feb 25, 2006.

1. classic

classic Member

I recently purchased a Diamond Lane Delay Pedal and have been very satisfied with it, however, have heard so much about the Echoczar, I just have to ask...other than the Echoczar having the ability of longer delay times, how to both units compare in tone and use in live settings?

2. drolling

drolling Member

I, too, own a Memory Lane and have posted this question myself. Although there are at least two people out there who have both units, it's very difficult to get any info beyond the obvious (longer delay time, stereo output, etc.). The concensus seems to be that they do sound different, can't be compared, apples & oranges, blah blah, woof woof....

How about some clips?

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

It came to my attention that the logical thing to do was to get on the EchoCzar wait list. Since it will be 6-9 months, I should be able to sock aside cash for the pedal, so that it won't seem outrageous when my number is up. Then I'll compare the Mem Lane (arriving next week) with it for myself... and if I don't think I can use both (HA!!! OF COURSE I can. I'm so screwed!) I can sell one or the other and not really lose much.

What I'd REALLY like to do is get those 2 and the Mook MF104Z in the same room. It would sound like Dr. Who. :)

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Great! Another Echoczar v.s other delay pedal thread! Anybody want to throw in some radical opinions? ;) I'm kidding, of course!

I did exactly what madsman is doing. Got the Memory Lane and got on the Echoczar list. I'll make the comparison myself once I get it. I really dig the ML though and it's going to be hard to beat!!

5. drolling

drolling Member

Got on the list in July for the whole 9 yards- E'czar, Angelbaby & exp. pedal.

I just can't see giving up the Memory Lane, tho'. I've kept my Deluxe MemoryMan, too. Unlike their digital counterparts, analog delays have tons of personality - altho' they do a lot of the same things, the MemoryLane sounds very different from the MemoryMan, especially in oscillation or modulation modes.

Like the above poster said, it would be cool to have the Moogerfooger delay, too. I've got the ring mod and it's a very powerful tool for deconstructing guitar tones.

But I don't hear much about the Moog delay. There are some less than stellar reviews on HC. Anybody using one?

6. threm

threm Member

I fully agree that the DMM and the MemLane are very different. And you`re absolutely right, all analog delays have their own thing going. It`s not like the MemLane is the perfect hotrodded DMM, or what the DMM always aspired to be.

In the same way the Echoczar and MemLane also have their own personalities. Trying to compare them purely through words doesn`t do any of them justice.

What I can say is that the repeats of the Echoczar have more density. They also have more bottom and top. And then there`s a difference in the attack of the repeats. An important aspect of the sound.The Echoczar is unique in the way the repeats have a slower initial `rise time`, rather than the typical fast attack of other delays. This nature of the repeats give the Echoczar a certain sway to the sound and when comined with the dynamic potential, the way the repeats can be tamed or pronounced by playing style, you`ll get a delay with a strong personality.

A lot more could be said and I don`t even have the Angel Baby yet.
    I won`t spin on the MemLane. It`s a great pedal. But you already know that. :)

7. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

hey threm........
    where does the moogerfooger mf104 stand with these?

8. threm

threm Member

Greg, sorry but I`ve never heard the MF104. Maybe someone on the board has one.
    Reading the reviews on HC the different models seem to sound somewhat different, the extended model not as dark and soft sounding. Lack of headroom is mentioned.
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Moog/

The way the repeats work on the Echoczar was a conscious design philosophy by Ed. He wanted to get away from the fast attack - the thunk - of the repeats that you hear on most delays.

So it`s probably quite different from the Moog too.

In real life an echoed sound will depend on the shape and material of the surfaces where the original signal is echoed. You can easily hear the difference between a Lexicon and a TC hall reverb, the Lexicon being denser and more of an effect whereas TC strive to simulate real life. Point is, there are several ways to do this and that also counts for delay pedal design.

Oh vanity, why edit some misspellings .... :eek:

9. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I have the Echoczar and the Moogerfooger (both MF-104Z and MF-104SD). I don't have the Memory Lane though. Should I start an "Echoczar vs. Moog" thread? :D

I have to say, I would really love to get a hold of a Memory Lane. I also have an AD-900. Yes, I'm a filthy, disgusting gear whore. :D :(

10. drolling

drolling Member

So Tom - what's your take on the Moogerfooger delays?

I'm knocked out by the build quality, the flexibility and the sounds of my MF102 ring mod, but as I said earlier in the thread, the few HC reviews of the Moog delays are inconsistent. I realize that they're Harmony Central reviews, but I don't think that someone who can afford a limited edition Moog pedal's typical of the average HC reviewer, and I would tend to give the buyers of expensive *boutique* gear a bit more credibility.

Are the MF delays true-bypass? The ring modulator is not. The buffer's very good, but it really beefs up the guitar signal, which has both advantages & disadvantages.

11. waveydb

waveydb Supporting Member

What exactly will the new Diamond Mix pedal do?
    Is it an accessory for the Memory Lane?

12. drolling

drolling Member

From the description on their website, it would appear to be a 'splitter-box' for stereo operation of one Memory Lane. Beyond panning effects, I don't really understand how it will turn a mono effect into stereo. Perhaps Michael Knappe of Diamond might step in and explain, if he sees this thread.

13. westerhever

westerhever Member

can anyone describe in which way the memory lane sounds different from the memory man?

14. drolling

drolling Member

OK, well, just my opinion - I've been a big fan of the Deluxe MemoryMan since EH reissued it a few years back.

I've got the first iteration w/internal power supply. It isn't true-bypass, so there's an appreciable difference in the straight guitar tone, as it's always going thru' the pedal's circuitry - that's probably not true for the current model.

As I've said before (maybe even in this thread!) analog delays all have their own distinct personality - and Threm said it even better when he observed that it's as if the enigineer creates the "space" in which the echoes occur, as well as the echoes themselves.

To further this analogy, it's like the Diamond's coming from a canyon & the DMM from a jungle- it's blurrier, there's more murkiness. But the Diamond has a powerful EQ (detented bass/treble boost) so it can be set quite dark & murky, too. They're both extremely cool, but the DMM's a tad noisier than the MemoryLane.

Then there's the modulation, called "chorus/vibrato" on the DMM. I have to say I find this effect to be far more useable and *musical* on the ML, but that's not to say that the DMM chorus isn't one unique & wacked-out effect.

Both delays max out at 550ms and they both can be easily sent into runaway self-oscillation. I haven't tested this theory, but I'd say that in this mode the Deluxe MemoryMan would blow up your amp faster.

That was fun, I hope someone else takes a stab at answering your question.

15. westerhever

westerhever Member

thanks,drolling,for this vivid descripton.
    actually i have a memory man of the newer generation(these have true bypass,btw) and i do like it a lot,the blurry sound seems to be a good thing for me.though i'm wondering if the diamond would take me a step further.
    i suspect i'll have to get one...

16. drolling

drolling Member

Oh yeah - when I said "personality", I meant "personalities". Unlike digital delays (even their 'analog' simulations) every analog delay I've used has a very different sound and FEEL. As much as I enjoy the DMM & the ML, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on an Echoczar. Users give me the impression that it sounds like a jungle in a canyon on another planet. I'm most intrigued..

17. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

drolling,
    Well done, Sir. You may give DonneR a run for poet laureate of the Gear Page if you keep on this path!

I love this stuff!

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

ah, just wait til the new Way Huge Swankulators start rollin out :eek:

19. eric-d

eric-d Member

There's definitely something you're not tellin' us... ;)

20. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I don't care about what DonneR knows or doesn't know about Mr. Tripps wild adventure.

I just want more of his poetry.

The man DOES have a way with words.