Diamond Memory Lane2 - How's the modulation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AshlandBump, Jul 1, 2008.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    The knock I've read about the ML1 is that the modulation was very subtle and easily lost when playing in a band mix. Did the modulation improve at all on the ML2?

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I haven't played the ML2 but I had an ML1 and the modulation could get plenty loud - it has a mix knob to control it.

But a bump for a good question because I am looking for the end-all analog w/modulation pedal that is not on a 22 year wait list.

3. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

I have a ML1 and the modulation is fantastic. It can be very overpowering if needed. I've found in tap tempo mode the modulation is more subtle but in standard mode it's fantastic. Amazingly expressive pedal.

4. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I played with the ML2 & their vibrato at namm, Diamond had a nice little stereo setup a fender tweed twin & marshall 2x12 bluesbraker / JTM style amps, with all their pedals , fat strat. Sweet natural warm repeats, the modulation was very good, I listen for the modulation intensity within the repeats, lots of delays loose the fidelity in repeats with the guitar dry as is , add modulation and it can sometimes become a jargin of slur sounds but the ML2 pulled through each repeat was a clone with the same tone. Worth every penny :)

5. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I have the ML2 and the modulation is a little warmer and smoother to my ears (I used to own the ML1)...once I kick in the delay with the modulation (2 delays are available in the ML2) I can hear the modulation in the signal...after a few seconds it just isn't as noticeable (because I get used to the sound I guess)...the pedal is a beautiful and versatile thing! I use the delay always on and the delay eq is set for the warm sound so it ends up being a big fat warm pulsing reverb/echo sound that is very musical and pleasing to my ears!

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I can't wait for the XO Memory Man so we can have an old fashioned show-down between it and the ML2.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

As above, warmer and smoother discribes it nicely :D

8. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Thanks for the responses -- I'm wondering about the XO Memory Man too since the DMM is my benchmark for modulated delays. I'm looking for alternatives due to the low headroom and the footprint of the DMM.

9. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Huh. My Memory Lane 1 has huge modulation. I've never thought that anyone would mention subtlety in the modulation as a problem. Not subtle enough, maybe (although I don't feel that way), but not too subtle. Maybe it depends on the rig. But for what it's worth, the modulation sounds huge on my ML1, so I'd assume it'd be the same on the ML2. IMHO. :)