Diamond Pedals: three cheers...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Griz, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Griz

Griz Member

Earlier this week I picked up a J-Drive MkIII from Axe And You Shall Receive in Brantford, Ontario.

The You Tube demo posted by ProGuitarShop.com gives a fairly helpful overview of what this pedal does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2q-SFEROjg

It's an enjoyable departure from yer same old. The "warmth" control is especially interesting; it's a combination of tilt EQ and gain boost. The pedal is just a lot of fun to use, and the build is rock solid, all top quality and beautifully finished. :AOK

Now I'm in big trouble, because Brantford is an easy drive from where I live.

Gotta snag me a Diamond Compressor and a Memory Lane 2.

:jo

2. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

I have a Diamond J-Drive TR, and I agree, it is a fantastic pedal. Great sound, great build, and not another clone.

My love of Diamond means my J-Drive TR sits alongside their Compressor, Fireburst, Halo, and Memory Lane.

cheers,
    Ian

3. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I'm looking into a Halo Chorus - it sounds awesome and the expression pedal input is very cool.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

After 15 years of playing and never once liking a compressor pedal, I tried the Diamond as a last ditch attempt at finding the studio compression that I love without having it sound like a pedal. Now the Diamond won't leave my board. I depend on it for so much.

Great pedals. Have you opened the thing up yet? They do some incredibly well thought out, neat layouts.

5. fishlog

fishlog Member

I have a J-Drive MK I I guess. Its their first make. Anyway the thing is beyond compare!!

Does the MKIII have the toggle that gets you a more compressed sound? The MKI does and I can't believe how much I use it. I can't imagine what their pedal dedicated to compression does!

6. Griz

Griz Member

The MkIII has a bright switch alongside the warmth control. Not sure if that's similar to the function you're describing. Is yours the SE? I saw one of those in a store recently. It had a toggle on the side near the top-mounted control knobs. No words, but symbols that appeared to indicate "flat" response and "high pass" filter settings. Each version of the pedal apparently has its own particular coolness.

AFAIK, there are 4 versions of the pedal.
    J-Drive (original)
    J-Drive SE
    J-Drive TR
    J-Drive MkIII

Enjoy. :banana

7. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

That's a cool pedal. Diamond makes good stuff for a good price. I love my Diamond Compressor

8. pbone

pbone Member

My thoughts exactly. They really make great products. Awesome company.

9. fishlog

fishlog Member

The Toggle on the MK I (I think mine is the very first version) is mounted right above or to the side of the 9V adapter plug is. The directions just say that when its down its suppose to sound rough and more open and when its up its suppose to be more compressed and tighter.

10. JeffE

JeffE Member

I really wanted to try a Diamond Halo chorus - but there are none to be had, anywhere!

A local guitar shop in Everett (tommysguitarshop.com) actually had one on their website for quite a while. I wandered up to the shop to check it out, but he had just taken an order for it that morning - from Japan! - and had already boxed it up for shipment.

There was a used one on Ebay last week, but I got outbid in the last 30 seconds. :-(

11. awallace

awallace Member

Hey all, a quick note regarding our drive pedals. There have actually been 5 different drive pedals in 2 distinct 'flavors':

The original Drive and Drive SE had a boost that was not useable separately from the overdrive circuit. The 'Lead' control and footswitch added additional gain- like stacking overdrives or pushing an already dirty amp with a pedal. Both offered user selectable compression via a small toggle on the top edge of the pedal. The SE added a germanium transistor and carbon comp resistors to the recipe for a slightly different flavor of overdrive.

The J-Drive ('Mk1') brought the first introduction of a separate clean boost section that could be used independently of the overdrive while retaining the user selectable compression control.

The next version was the limited edition J-Drive 'TR' which featured a germanium transistor combined with JFET for the clean boost while offering the option of pulling up on the Boost control for a germanium only treble boost- wicked sounding btw! It also was the first time that we used a transformer in the output section to mimic a guitar pickups' output impedance (though slightly lower to work great with amps or other pedals). This version also marked the elimination of the user selectable compression.

Finally, we now offer the J-Drive Mk3 which is basically a TR but with a slightly different (and non-germanium) boost section.

Regards,

Aimish Wallace
    Diamond Pedals

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  12. fishlog

fishlog Member

Wow thanks for the info!!!

So I do have an "MK I"

....and now I know.

13. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    had a j-drive TR and regret selling it. diamond od's are underrated. IMO, i think the warmth knob takes a little longer than other OD's tone control to get the hang of and my guess is people give up on it too soon....

14. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I will never sell my TR. It sits first amongst my drives and basically can make anything sound better from another pedal to amps.

15. Griz

Griz Member

Contact Axe And You Shall Receive:

http://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/

Scott is great to deal with, and he ships a lot of Diamond Pedals.

Cheers.

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Yeah, you said it!

ML rock!

I gotta ML1 and ML2!

17. sh333

sh333 Supporting Member

Thanks, man! :BEER

Diamond has been backordered a bit lately, but I will be getting a bunch of pedals in soon.