Diamond Vibrato

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jess 1971, May 9, 2016.

1. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I heard some demos of this pedal recently and I am really impressed. However, I'm not sure I'm impressed enough to want to drop $260 on it though, so I'm wondering if there are any less expensive options out there that can do the nice mix of lush vibrato and chorus that the Diamond can. Any suggestions?

2. Moontrills

Moontrills Member

The diamond vibrato is a magical thing.

With that said, I've had great experiences with the walrus audio Julia. :aok

3. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

hey,

I used the diamond vibrato for maybe 6-7 years and enjoyed it a lot, using it as 100% wet vibrato. Really great, warm tones.

I did notice that it rolled a bit of the high end off and checked with Aimish at Diamond that this was part and parcel of the bucket brigade circuitry, which it is - I guess this is what gives it that warmth.

I was looking for a pitch vibrato that doesn't alter my eq at all, or has the capability of adding a bit of high end. In this quest, I have tried:

Iron Ether polytope - still rolls off some highs that I couldn't dial back in.

Dr Scientist Cosmichorus - awesome 100% wet vibrato sound and a treble control to bring in highs galore! Love it - only problem is that the vibrato doesn't have a depth control, just a clock control which isn't the same and I find it can't quite get subtle enough at fast vibrato speeds.

Source Audio Gemini - A DIGITAL Chorus/vibrato! Sacrilege for some I know but truly, this one nails what I'm looking for. With the extra parameter control afforded by the Neuro app, this can deliver pretty much any chorus/vibrato sounds I could need, complete with sophisticated eq control. Maybe there's a bit of "analogue warmth" missing, but I really don't notice - especially in the mix - and the added control set outweighs any disadvantages of going digital, for me.

So for now, I still own the diamond and don't plan on selling it, but the Gemini has knocked it off my board.

Anacharsis likes this.
  4. derpsnerf

derpsnerf Member

I got mine in the mail back on Wednesday but I had to order the right cables to play it with my PP2+ which was kind of annoying. Just the cables in today so I'll give it a test tonight! Big Tame Impala fan so I'm thinking I'll dig the Diamond Vibrato.

5. Jess 1971

Why did you need special cables to power it with the PP2?

6. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Its my favorite mod pedal ever made...

Flatscan likes this.
  7. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

It needs 18 - 24 volts

Jess 1971 likes this.
  8. Jess 1971

Thanks. Did not realize that.

9. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

It also requires tip positive power, rather than tip negative like the majority of pedals.

Jess 1971 likes this.
  10. Jess 1971

They really don't make it easy, do they.

When I first got my Pedal Power 2 years ago, it came with a mountain of different cables. Can I assume that one of these will work with the Diamond Vibrato? I guess I'll also need a Y cable adapter too though. Where can I get one of those? Voodoo Labs?

11. bleu

bleu Member

This'll do ya:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=COTNqbP7zcwCFciIfgod5CQK8w

Jess 1971 likes this.
  12. bleu

bleu Member

Not at all, stranger. ;)

Jess 1971 likes this.
  13. Jess 1971

14. bleu

bleu Member

wait what..:D

15. derpsnerf

derpsnerf Member

This is what you'll need. The Voodoo Lab voltage doubler adapter (part number PPAY) and the 2.1mm reverse polarity center positive cable (PPREV, it should have the white cable end. The red one is too big of a plug I think).

I got to finally play mine tonight and it sounds sweet so far. Only got 10 min with it but so far so good. Best chorus pedal I've owned so far too.

awallace and Jess 1971 like this.
  16. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

The Moog MF chorus does a beautiful Vibrato. I'm not sure about the price difference wherever you are but it's a fair bit cheaper here in Aus

Flatscan likes this.
  17. 100JH

100JH Member

Does anyone do their "homework" or search the boatd anymore before they open a thread?

2x

18. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I love my Diamond Vibrato.

I agree that the Moog Vibrato is awesome also, especially with drive *after* it.

19. bleu

bleu Member

Pretty sure this is correct, thanks for the clarification. I didn't see it spec'd on Diamond's website and I didn't have time to dig further at work. 2.5 would work but the connector would be a bit loose.

20. awallace

awallace Member

This. Don't use the one with the red plug.

Jess 1971 likes this.