Diaz Square Face Audio Clip

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JubileeMan 2555, Jan 3, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I've had this cool little guy for a while now, figured I'd post a clip of some noodling to sample it.

the super reverb was clean at volume of only 3 so that all the drive you hear is from the pedal only. The pedal really sounds even better with the amp opened up, but its late and I simply didn't have the energy to crank the amp:)

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/diaz/diazfuzz.htm

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Sounds great. Not too many guitarists out there fingerpicking with a fuzz. Pretty brave.:RoCkIn

I was on the Diaz site earlier tonight looking at the Square Wave but I didn't see any sound clips. Nice timing!

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

ha..funny.. So, did my clip make you run to your wallet, or the hills?

4. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

holy crap...thanks, thanks a lot :p I have a '66 Super and that sounds great

5. bilbal

bilbal Member

I have had my Diaz for about a month. I got it as part of a trade. They are pretty cool pedals!!!!

bilbal

6. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I enjoyed the clip myself, and thought both your playing and the tones the Fuzz along with your touch produced fantastic sounds.....:RoCkIn

7. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

too funny. Thats whats great about using such a tried and true amp like that. Other players like me can sample somethin' and you know exactly what you have to expect:)

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

yep...you've screwed me over one too many times with your rig though... damn you :D in a good way

9. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Nice clip (as yours always seem to be). Great sounding bluesy fuzz...makes me want to move things around on my pedalboard to fit one in. This is the way I like my fuzz to sound.

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Can't listen to the clip at work, but I will tonight. (By the way, I finger pick almost 100% of the time, and always have some kind of fuzz on). Does your SF have the 123's or the 103's in it? I have had my SF for years. Mine is an old one from '95. It was gooped, but I had to repair something once, and patiently ungooped it (did the same with a tremodillo from the same year). Mine has the non-socketed 103's in it and they sound great.

I am suprised this pedal has fallen off the radar around here. Possibly because some believe the new ones aren't as good as the old ones. I have no idea if that is true or not. Never played a newer one (SF or Tremodillo). But I have been through a lot of the big name fuzzes and my Diaz easily held its own with all of them.

I really want to try one of the Texas Ranger treble boosts. They have a single 103 in them I think. I hear they sound pretty good. Diaz was the first I know of who put a 3-way tone switch on a treble booster.

11. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thanks...and I know what you're talking about. The diaz has a more organic quality that just sounds like tubes ready to explode. More natural than many other fuzzes i've tried.

One thing to keep in mind here is that any stiffness you perceive in my clip has a lot to do with the amp very clean.. I mean JC120 style clean. the tone gets softer and spongier with the amp louder where it softens up itself.

12. Mike R.

Mike R. Supporting Member

I own all three of Cesar's pedals.

I bought them directly from Cesar before he got really sick.

I like the Ranger because of the tone switch he incorporated into the unit. I like it very much with my Strat but not as much with the Les Paul. Actually, I appreciate all of his pedals more through single coils.

When I got the Square Face, Cesar included both the Ge and Si diodes for me to try. I like the Ge better, the Si sounds harder to me and not as organic.

The Trem is great used very sparingly. Just barely audible.

I know what you mean about the lack of talk about these, the initial word was that quality dropped after Cesar passed, maybe that is why. I know nothing of the current state of operations though.

13. sstweed

In the early days the SF was only available with the GE tranny's (NTE103). Later Cesar offered the pedal with sockets and extra Si trannys (NTE123). You could mix and match for a hybrid Si-Ge, Ge-Si, all Si, or all Ge. Cesar was a head of his time. Mine is Ge only however, and that is all I really need. The gain on the 103's is quite good, and doesn't get as muffled as some can when turned up. Always plenty of bright to cut through, and a cool emphasis on the low mids. Different than the NKT275 pedals I have used that had the mid emphasis a little higher up.

On the subject of the Ranger, have you ever compared it to other brand rangemaster clones?

14. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

For the record, my Square Face in the recording both Si and a Ge transistors. I believe the Ge is a 103 if I remember right.

EDIT 3/28/08: Not true...I have 2 x NTE103 Ge Transistors.

15. Mike R.

Mike R. Supporting Member

No, I have not compared it to any other clones...

Never had to! :)

16. modernp

modernp Member

Graet pedal likes the way it cleans up with the volume pot.

17. sstweed

All Ge fuzzfaces clean up very well. The Square Face is pretty high gain for a Ge fuzzface so it doesn't clean up as well as some. But again it is more a factor of it being higher gain. Mine can really sizzle if the fuzz is turned all the way up, and still has quite good clean up.

18. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Just incase anyone cares, I finally opened it up to find exactly the Transistors used:

Both are Germanium NTE103 transistors. One with 153 gain and the other at 160...

I'm contacting the folks at Diaz Pedals to see if they can sell me some different gain and Silicon Transistors to experiment with>I'll post my results if they sell me any.

19. sstweed

I'd be interested.