Diaz Texas Square Face Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cruz Azul, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

Anyone got/used one? Love that SRV fuzz tone...

2. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I have a 1996 Diaz Texas Squareface Fuzz,signed by Cesar himself.Its completely wild and SCREAMS when used with an overdrive.I only recently took it off my board after buying an Analogman Sunface NKT275,which I find more Jimi than SRV,and prefer.The Squareface doesnt use NKT275 transistors,and although mine is Germanium,I think you get the option of swapping out trannies in the pedal,so you can opt for Silicon or combine the two.I found I could get that really fuzzy screaming tone as heard on Eric Johnson 'Desert Rose' second solo on Ah Via Musicom,but there isnt much subtlety when you use the volume knob compared with the analogman sunface.Its still a great pedal,and definately a keeper.I'm not sure about the current versions though.

3. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I had one and it was dark and virtually unusable. It was made in the late 90's. The impression I get is that there is some variance from unit to unit, some great some not.

4. HBob

HBob Member

The one I tried was poo.

5. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

CD built a lot of Squareface pedals to order/per spec of the customer.Same with the Texas Ranger.That may explain the difference in tones.One thing CD always said was "You can't sell a scratched up pedal or a pedal that is not perfect,Those are the ones you will be judged by".

6. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

Thanks for that fellas. I'm really after the smoother fuzz sound (if there is such a thing! ha). I know SRV's tone was pretty loud and crankin but what was his fuzz on the Couldn't stand the weather or in step albums? Fuzzface or the modded diaz maybe?

The analogman sounds cool also..

7. hecticone

hecticone Member

Never fell in love with the one I owned got rid of it and picked up the trifecta by barber. Now theres a fuzz.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I got tons of radio stations on mine, otherwise it sounded good. I couldn't use it at gigs though.