Diaz vs Silva

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Gilky, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

Did anyone catch this fight last night? Anderson Silva coming off of a year off after breaking his leg. I was interested to see how he would do, he is getting up there in years (39) which is more of an issue for guys like him who rely on speed and reflexes.

I was happy to hear he was fighting Nick Diaz because he is always entertaining. Man did Nick ever deliver the entertainment. He was obviously trying to goad AS into some wild exchanges where he could have a chance of catching him and he didn't play into it. But I have to admit, watching Diaz pull every punk move AS has on his past opponents was pretty damn funny.

The man straight up laid down the ring, turned his back on him, clowned him. Baddest man on the planet, Diaz clowns him and AS couldn't put him away, for 5 rounds, and Diaz is actually a weight class below AS.

I think Silva's days as champion are gone, but he could still probably beat everyone not named Chris Weidman. Anyway, here you go, this was in the beginning of the fight, first round...

[​IMG]

2. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

It was hilarious.
    Made me love Nick D.

3. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

4. AuroraTide

AuroraTide Member

Hope Silva retires now, if he couldn't put Diaz away there's no way he'd beat Weidman.

The big question is who is more stoned, Diaz today or the judge that scored it 50-45? Diaz lost the fight but come on, 50-45 in a fight that didn't see either guy in any real danger?

5. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Aaaaaaand both fighters failed their drug tests. Nice.
    Silva for a steroid. Diaz for, no surprise, marijuana.

So if they throw out the fight and rule it a no contest, can you get a refund on your pay-per-view? :)

6. theroan

theroan Member

It really seemed like Silva phoned it in.

7. AuroraTide

AuroraTide Member

Can't believe Silva was dirty! Only time will tell if his legacy is tainted now.

Is Diaz getting popped even a surprise? Surprised he's not doing bong hits between rounds! (Disclaimer I'm a fan of both Diaz brothers but lets be honest they're not role models by any means)

8. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

This isn't serious is it?

9. AuroraTide

AuroraTide Member

After what he said about Chael getting popped I figured he was clean... Being back and healthy that quickly after snapping his leg was pretty suspect though. And I think it's shocking that someone so widely acknowledged as the GOAT would get busted

10. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Testing in UFC is an utter joke. To be fair, it is in nearly all sports, I don't want people to think I'm singling MMA out. I would not be at all surprised if every top fighter were to test positive.

What they say is pretty meaningless, just go look at what Lance used to say...

11. Bunky

Bunky Supporting Member

AS is innocent til proven guilty. Could have been slipped to him by his equipment manager.

12. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Yeah... Just like Lance trained harder than everyone else...

13. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Or tainted beef?

14. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

He was once the greatest there was, but he should have clearly stopped sooner. And coming back was a mistake.

That said, who cares if he is on a little juice, the guy is done. 39 years old. He's lost more than a couple of steps. Not in title contention anymore.

Let the old feller take a shot now and then and throw him in to some "super" fights.

15. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

Lance did train harder than everyone else. You clearly don't understand how PEDs work.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Silva dominated Diaz--he landed a ton more punches.

DIAZ did nothing other than act like an idiot.

It was clear that Silva was the winner by a good margin.

I guess Silva tested positive for steroids now?

17. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Twice...

18. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

:spit :spit :spit :spit :spit

Keep drinking the Kool Aid fella.

19. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Legend.

20. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Partly agree with you. Here's the FightMetric breakdown:

http://fightmetric.com/fight-details/f4e490d25bd62d39

Silva outlanded him in every round, clearly one the fight. No disagreement there.

That said, Diaz landed 77 punches to Silva's 108. If 31 is a ton to you, then yea, he outlanded him by a ton. Either way, that hardly amounts doing nothing other than acting like an idiot. For that matter, Diaz fought a smart fight for possibly the first time in his career. He had a legitimate gameplan for Silva. Silva is just a better fighter in virtually every category. No shame in moving up a weightclass and losing to arguably the greatest fighter of all time.

Also keep in mind that this is the first person to make it to a decision with Silva since 2004. And no, I'm not counting the Leites and Maia fights because Silva was clowning for 25 minutes in those and could've finished the fights any time he damn well pleased. There was no screwing around with Diaz. He was in a fight. How much of that you want to attribute to the injury and layoff is up to you, but Diaz deserves more credit than you're giving him, even if it was a clear 50-45 loss.

On the steroids, it just sucks. I hate it. It was the only thing Silva could've done to tarnish his career, and he had to go and do it. It's just a shame.

What's really going to piss me off though is when Diaz gets a stiffer penalty for marijuana than Silva gets for steroids, or than what Jones got for cocaine.