Dice Works Epic!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zion, May 20, 2008.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

Is he an ebay seller or what?...can't find a site.

2. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Yeah... he is an ebay seller. His ID is "t-booster"

Nice wiring/soldering inside as well.

I don't know how it compares to actual vintage big muffs or tonebenders, but there are a lot of great useable sounds in the Finale.

3. Burgs

Burgs Member

Here are some better pics. I'm not sure what the politics of airing 'gut shots' are but for better or worse...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Fuzz Epic (sadly) arrived without any documentation. All I have to reference is the description that Erich put on his Ebay page - the same description which is quoted at the start of this thread.

The I., II., and III toggle is (I assume) to select either a Triangle Big Muff, Guild Foxey Lady or 'Modded' Muff circuit. Each position has its own great characteristics and the tone and fuzz knobs react differently with each circuit as you would expect.

The 'C' and 'O' toggles: These select either the Original Triangle Muff tones or the Cornish mods (I don't think they're 'official' mods but rather Erich's approximations of them). I couldn't tell you why there are two toggles but they are capable of some good variations tone wise to the three circuits on the left. Basically, the 'C' positions roll off a lot of the heavy bottom end inherent in the triangle Muffs. Apparently Dave Gilmour employed Pete Cornish to do these mods for the albums circa Dark Side OTM and The Wall. Indeed, I was able to pull the Comfortably Numb solo sound quite easily using these and the position I. circuit. The second circuit (II) which is a Guild Foxey Lady (I think - or the Supa Tone Bender?), is much louder with more mids and is a closer approximation of a high gain OD/Dist. Very usable as are all of the tones on the Muff side. I don't really care what the circuits are supposed to represent or emulate because they're all great. I'm telling myself to disregard the 'authenticity' factor and just enjoy the ride. Which I'm doing.

The circuit on the right is a killer, too. You've got a selection of either the Marshall Supa Fuzz or Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII. With the MKII engaged I was able to pull accurate Page sounds from the early Zep days (using an LP, Tele or Strat through a '59 Bassman clone) and the volume wound down on the guitar cleans it up nicely. The Supa Fuzz is a somewhat more primitive beast that also has its charms. Its sustain doesn't so much as taper out as sputter out. You get that shredded speaker effect as the note breathes its last. I like it too. I've not been using a power supply but rather a standard carbon 9V. Apparently this makes a difference and I have to say that I have no complaints in the sonic department at all.

I'm in my 40's and haven't owned a lot of good quality fuzzes. I got too caught up in the late 70's and 80's power rock movement and didn't have much call for them. Now I'm discovering their charms and this little box of wonders may be all I ever need. Highly recommended.

4. Burgs

Burgs Member

Here's a demo.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6841986

The backing track came from one of those guitar mags years ago so I'm guessing it's public domain. My solo certainly is.

Played with a Normandy Chrome through Amplitube Hendrix on default Marshall setting. Recorded with M-Box 2 Pro and Logic Studio.

0:00 - 0:40 Showing pickup sounds clean - neck, middle, bridge.

0:40 - 1:56 MK II

1:20 - 1:56 Supa Fuzz

1:57 - 2:38 Muff I (Cornish in)

2:38 - 3:50 Muff II (Cornish in)

3: 50 - 5:05 Muff III (Cornish in)

5:05 - out Muff I again. Turning Cornish off (you can really hear it).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  5. leumasjames

leumasjames Member

Man...I wish I had one of these. I have a Muff Diver Finale that is THE most versatile fuzz pedal on the planet IMO. This Epic thing is over the top.

6. jw112

jw112 Member

are you turing of the Cornish at around 5:40 ?

7. Burgs

Burgs Member

Yep. I switched the 'C' switches off at about 5:37 for the big old wide open Muff. :)

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

Nice clips...very cool looking fuzz!

Can anyone compare the Dice Works MkII to the Monsterpiece MkII?

Thanks!

9. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

It just looks like crasp...sorry.
    I cannot buy something so hastily packaged and so un-thought-out.

10. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The Monsterpiece isn't based on the Solasound MKII. The Monsterpiece only has 2 transistors and is closer in design to the 2 transistor Tonebender MK1.5. The Dice Works certainly sounds the business!

11. upsilonkng

upsilonkng Member

I think you are missing out, Diceworks makes the best muff fuzz out there and I've tried them all, from the way huge, to the creamy dreamer , to the skreddy to every big muff release from eh including the red army, green russian, nyc, deluxe etc... this is the king of muffs in my humble opinion.

12. my7of9

my7of9 Member

Man are talking about the Dice Works pedal?? I just cannot believe my eyes! Are you ever missing the boat here!
    Folks this is by far the best Fuzz pedal I have ever played through PERIOD!
    Since this pedal has found a home in my pedal board 2 things have happened!
    1. I never want to put the guitar down!
    2. People have been commenting and praising my sound!:AOK

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but all I can say is what a shame for you!

There are several different versions of this pedal and price ranges as far as I know and this thing has a lifetime warranty!

Simply Amazing on all accounts! Really!

13. Burgs

Burgs Member

^^
    Agreed. :AOK And welcome to TGP my7of9. :)

14. heykenny

heykenny Member

I would have to agree. Of all the Muff clones I've tried the Muff Diver Finale is my fave. A number of close seconds, but it definitely kicks serious *ss and versatile to boot. Good stuff. Very curious to try the Union Jack or Epic.

15. fuzzinator

fuzzinator Member

I love Erich's stuff. I could care less about the DIY aesthetics, too.

I have a Muff Diver Finale and a Union Jack - both are top of the heap.

16. Burgs

Burgs Member

Might be time to start a Dice Works appreciation thread..??

17. Burgs

Burgs Member

18. LHakim

LHakim Member

Great demo and playing!!! I have a Dice Works Union Jack and HS-1. First class pedals. I predict your video is going to help sell alot more of those pedals for Erich!

19. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

How does one order a dice works pedal?

20. btmish

btmish Member

Email him via ebay, that's what I did. His username is t-booster. I have an epic on it's way!!