Dickey Betts in a pedal(s)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jerryfan6, Oct 5, 2013.

1. billstets

billstets Member

Dickey himself said in an article that the JBL D120s were the biggest part of his tone. I don't think a JTM45 is far away, any more than a Fender or even a 1987. But it was the JBLs. Not sure how usable those speakers are for most people, who don't play large venues. I've been told they're loud and harsh, so you need to play a bigger place to have the sound develop. But I don't have first hand experience with them.

No way as good as JBLs, but I can get a reasonable approximation with my 58RI Les Paul into any of my amps (Kingsley D30, JTM45 and 66 Bandmaster) with a tubescreamer. It honks. Just not as much as the JBLs.

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

^^ +1

An old thread, but still a good one.

I have a 4x12 of D120s. They don't get harsh until you overdrive them. They are "beamy" though. Stay below that threshold and they're heaven. YMMV.

I can get very close with either of my Fenders (my BFVV with a JBL is real close) but to absolutely nail it - a LP, plexi style amp (old glass optional), and JBLs. No pedals required. If Dickey used a TS, it would've been set just as a clean boost. He plays spit-shine clean.

3. billstets

billstets Member

I think in the old days he was straight in. But he had much more gain in the 90s a lot times I saw him, so he must have been doing something. Still had the JBLs with that honk, but more distortion.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Absolutely. I've seen the Allman Brothers several times and I never saw Dickey use any pedals except a wah, and I'm not sure he even ever used it. His standard gear was just a Les Paul into a Marshall amp turned up loud, but the main thing to copping his sound is copping his style. Get that first.

5. billstets

billstets Member

no doubt, but the gear does make a difference. I recall a thread on here or another forum in which someone was making this point and used a recording of Dan Toler to make the point. In the recording he was using a 335 into a Super Reverb. Did he sound great? Yes. He sounded like himself in terms of style and chops. But did he sound like he does with an LP into a Marshall with JBLs? Not at all.

6. porterburst

porterburst Silver Supporting Member

Dickey’s tone has changed a lot over the years from his early 70's tones with the ABB to his mid-late 70's tone with his original Great Southern Band, Richard Betts Band, again with the ABB through the 80’s-90’s, all the way up to now with his new Great Southern Band.

It’s really about which Dickey tone? He’s used everything from JBL’s, Altec, Cerwin Vega ER124’s, Marshall, Fenders, Ampegs, etc.

You don’t need a Marshall to cop a great Dickey tone, a good Fender or Fender style amp with the right speaker, a great LP, and maybe a pedal depending on the amp used.

I love Duane and Dickey's tone on Mountain Jam of the Fillmore album, but one of my favorite shows is Live At A&R Studios 71. Les Pauls through Fenders amps, killer tone.

I can get great Dickey tone with my Dickey Betts Gold top and my Swart AST MKII Master combo.

Last edited: May 24, 2014