Did an iTunes restore from TM, lost 66 files - any way to know what got lost?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by edcag, Jan 24, 2015.

1. edcag

edcag Silver Supporting Member

Hi iTunes experts -

As stated, I did a full restore of iTunes from Time Machine.
    It's a very large amount of data so I should probably be thankful that only 66 files went missing.

But it's bugging me. Are there any text files or database files (in both TM and the current iTunes Folder/Library) I could use for comparison to try to determine which 66 didn't make the trip?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
    Best,
    ed

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. webb

webb Member

If you purchased them from iTunes, go to the iTunes Store and check your purchased link.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Make a new smart playlist, "purchased - is true"

Then while in that playlist, click header bar and turn on the "iCloud download" column if not already showing. You can then click that header and it will sort them wether they are on local drive or ready to download again from apple.

Smart playlists, their your friend for lots of cool stuff.

4. edcag

Thanks for these great suggestions. Very cool to learn about functionality/possibilities. Unfortunately, they're not going to work in this case.

If anyone else has any ideas, they'll be much appreciated.
    Best,
    ed

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Why won't it work? Is there some other factor in play here?

6. edcag

Hi Dave -

Can't thank you enough for your query. There is some other factor in play here - I was not backed up to the cloud (I back up to an external HD) and, although the music was purchased, it was not all purchased through iTunes.

Again, if there's any way to compare one Library's data with another Library's data, I'd sure love to hear about it.

Best,
    ed

7. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

I lost my entire iTunes library, except for a few purchased songs. Almost all songs and albums were from CDs. I had about 1,000 CDs. So, every evening while watching the evening news I burned my entire collection in a new laptop. Surprise to me was this process lasted less than a month. Now I back everything up constantly in an external hard drive.

8. stratology

stratology Member

Have you tried to Spotlight search for the song titles in the Finder? Maybe the original files were stored outside the iTunes Library. Make sure external disks that may have the files are attached when you search.

If you deleted the files, open Time Machine, and do a search for the titles in there.

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Mashduo, if you have a good valid copy of your old and current iTunes .lib file it will compare the two and tell you what's different.

http://mashduo.com/

If they were amazon purchased in last few years you'll find amazon has a copy waiting for you on their server just like apple does.