Did any of the Gibson Historics come with Grover tuners?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
..... a 01 R8 in particular?
confused.gif

daddyo

Funny you should ask as I'm watching Historic 57 Customs in black right now and I'd say a good 20% of the sellers try and pass off regular Custom Shop Customs as Historics. But the Grovers are a give away as the 57s have Kluson style tuners.

frank62

Yes, they are called "Authentic" and have Grovers. Look at the one for sale here. Call it what you want it is a stunning Lester.

CS'56

Frank is right. The Authentics in '01 came from the factory with Grovers

59burst

I used to have a 1998 Les Paul Custom '54 reissue which I purchased new, and it had gold Grover tuners on it. I'm not sure if that was common or not, but that is how it came from the factory.

The Custom Authentic series of R8s also came with Grovers.

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
The above is correct. I like the look of the Kluson tuners, but the feel and precision of the Grovers is superior, IMO.

Rapmaster

Funny you should ask as I'm watching Historic 57 Customs in black right now and I'd say a good 20% of the sellers try and pass off regular Custom Shop Customs as Historics. But the Grovers are a give away as the 57s have Kluson style tuners.

I've got an R7 Custom that came with grover kidneys stock. They used Grovers up until recently (I wanna say 2002 or 2003). The normal Customs, iirc, should have the metal kluson-looking ones.

I dunno if this is still true, but the customs don't have "aged" binding. Mine has a layer of white binding underneath a layer of yellowed binding all around the guitar. But the easiest way to tell is the neck carve, the reissues before the '59 RI have real thick necks.

Sniper-V

You should be able to tell by the serial #'s if in doubt.

I personally am looking for a '57 Custom without the VOS finish and be 9 lbs or under.

And,

I actually prefer Kluson tuners, but Grovers do "fit' looks wise on Customs.

Rossl

My Authentic 58 LP came with them. I wish it had Klusons. I bought it because it had a nice top and liked the look of the authentic

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
I'm currently in the process of restraining myself from taking on debt for a used '58 Authentic with stock Grovers, one of the 2-3 best post-Norlins I've played.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom