• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Did anyone else LOVE Van Halen's music, but never saw them in concert?

NB_Terry

In 1984, I was just starting to play guitar and love Van Halen music.

Looking at the tours they did, I could have seen them in March or April of 1984 in Buffalo or Toronto. Of course, I now wish that I had.

I wasn't quite 15 yet, and both local shows were on school nights, and finding someone to drive a bunch of 14 year olds to a concert an hour away and back was not an easy task.

The next chance I had to see them would have been in 1986 with the 5150 tour. To be honest, at the time I didn't care for their musical changes.. I loved all of the DLR albums, and I listed to 5150 and OU812, but I didn't love them at the time. I like them more now.

I did get to see DLR with Vai and Sheehan in 1986, and that was one of the most exciting concerts of my life..

I also never got to see SRV or Michael Hedges. Two other guitarists I really liked.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
I saw the first tour with Sammy, never saw them with Dave :(. Still was a great show.

Terrarich

Silver Supporting Member
I didn’t start going to shows until 1988. Mostly smaller venues in Chicago. Was not so much into the Sammy era. Wish I had gone in hindsight.

Nebakanezer

I can remember being 16 when Alice In Chains was opening for them (on the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour?). Huge AiC fan and have always liked EVH, I know their from different albums but I would have been into Poundcake and Finish What You Started as highlights of his newly at the time expanded techniques, if I have my timeline close?

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
I only saw them on the 2004 tour and really wish I hadn't. EVH was wiped out on something. Could barely stand on his own and forgot half the songs. He was in a very bad place and I am glad he survived that period.

spaceman39

I liked them and surely would have loved to see them in their heyday, but tickets were tough to get. They always sold out immediately in the Boston area.

ToneDeVille

Silver Supporting Member
Always loved VH music. Saw them 3 times with the original line up, starting around '78 (if I recall the years right), back in my radio days. Did a promotional album signing with them once. They were a wild bunch living the rock and roll dream.

redbrick

I saw them in the Gary Cherone era... not very good. I'm not sure how many times they made it down to Sydney. Would have loved to see the original lineup.

MGT

I've never been to one of their concerts (not many concerts where I grew up). Stopped listening to them after the 1984 album (not just them - stopped listening to hair metal & related genres in the later 80's). Have always been a big fan of EVH, though!

Wyatt Martin

I became a fan in 1986 but never saw them either.

Concerts were always a 2 plus hour drive away from home growing up. I went to concerts a few different times with friends in high school but none of my friends were Van Halen fans so we saw mutual favorites instead. By the time I was at a place in life to be able to afford to go and with some free time to do so it would have been for the VHIII era and I wasn't too compelled with that era of the band to even be interested. By the time they started touring again with Dave in the 2000s and the lack of material between III and ADKOT Van Halen were no longer on my radar and I was more interested in other bands/music.

Trending Topics