• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Did anyone else LOVE Van Halen's music, but never saw them in concert?

When I was 15 my dad showed up at my summer job, told my boss there was a family emergency and that I had to leave early, and took me to see Van Halen. It was Hagar VH, which isn't my favorite, but that didn't matter. My dad took me to see VH!

When they got back with Roth, I wanted to take my dad so we could have another VH outing, but we never did. That's a bummer. He also bought me 1984 when I was 8 (July 1985), and that was the first album I ever owned.

HERSCHEL

Yep, they ether didn't play close enough or fell on a bad night. I did see Dave on the Eat 'em and Smile tour with Vai, Bisonette and Sheehan, which was great. That line up with Dave and Van Halen with Sammy was my ideal.

RobBottom69

I saw Van Halen at the Cow Palace in 1984 (15yo) and at Candlestick for the Monsters of Rock show in 1988 (19yo).

Personally I liked the DLR show better. We left about 2/3rds of the way through the Sammy show. To be fair, it was hot that day and we wanted to see Metallica so by the evening we were pretty partied out. If DLR was fronting the band in 1988 we probably wouldn't have left.

PierreL

Silver Supporting Member
1979, 1980, 1993 & 1995
Yeah I know they did, but basically ignored the country throughout the Eighties.
1979 and 1980, I was too young (and too far).
1993 and 1995 I was not interested in the Hagar lineup (but well, I should have gone anyway...).

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
I never saw Him live. But I was a teen when the first record came out.
Last true evolution of the guitar, way back in the 70's.
Shes spent Boys!!!

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I never got to see them with Dave. I was 13 when they came to Albuquerque on the 1984 tour and my mom wouldn't let me go. I was crushed and I still haven't forgiven her for it.

Saw them in '92 in Honolulu twice. They were amazing but it wasn't quite the same.

Guitarist64

Never saw them, but I wouldn't say I was a hardcore fan. I like some. I grew up with a hardcore fan that saw DLR on a bootleg vid, prancing around on stage, pretty much drunk. My friend said "I don't believe I thought he was cool when I was younger..."

NB_Terry

Yeah I know they did, but basically ignored the country throughout the Eighties.
1979 and 1980, I was too young (and too far).
1993 and 1995 I was not interested in the Hagar lineup (but well, I should have gone anyway...).

That was pretty much my situation as well.

Ampedusa

I was lucky to be around at the right time, had a system to get great tickets which were affordable and wanted to see every show I could. Saw the Diver Down, 1984, 5150, OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tours. The Dave era was the best to me. Saw DLR with Vai and Sheehan. Deep Purple with Blackmore, SRV twice, Prince Purple Rain tour, U2 Joshua Tree tour, Scorpions twice, Iron Maiden 6 different times and on and on. It was a good time to be alive.

monty

I go to a lot of concerts, but cant afford primo tickets but I'm glad to one time I decided to really splurge was with VH with Roth.
During to first song Eddie went into that EVH pose where he holds the guitar vertically, I almost blew a load, lol.

michael patrick

Silver Supporting Member
I only saw them once. It was the first show of their first ever tour, March 3, 1978, at the Aragon Brawlroom in Chicago. They were opening for Montrose and Journey. No one knew who they were, their first album had only been out for a few weeks.

I saw two or three times with Sammy but never with Dave. I was 14 when they toured for OU812 and aside from a few shows with my parents and a couple all ages shows, this was my first "big" concert without my folks, it was during Thanksgiving break of my Freshman year of high school. Good memories, but I missed the real good stuff.

Trending Topics