Did anyone ever own a Boss GX700

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Imran5000, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Imran5000

Imran5000 Member

I loved this thing, great FX in there, especially the harmoniser and step filter, got some sounds out of that not been able to recreate

[​IMG]

2. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Yes, purchased one when it came out new back then.
    It was actually my first "effect unit", and used it for a few years almost exclusively in front of a home made clean sounding tube amp.
    I hadn't much experience back then and didn't really compare it to other stuff but I recall being able to get real nice tones & feel with it as I was learning to play all my favorite albums.

3. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Picked one of these up for not much a few years ago, the overdrives are meant to be analogue and wah is usable over MIDI. Sounded pretty good, have its SX700 brother too.

4. jaykay73

jaykay73 Member

The overdrives are analog but according to the service manual the signal then goes through A/D then D/A conversion at the end of the chain. I'd say technically you're not getting an "analog overdrive" from this unit as you would in the GP8.

JK

Coalface1971 likes this.
  5. the recluse

the recluse Member

I had one several years ago. It was really fun. Lots of routing flexibility and assignable midi control made it very cool to play around with. Assigning the pitch shifter to an expression pedal allowed for some cool whammy effects.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  6. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

had one. did not meet my expectations compared to what actual pedals sounded like. preferred my se-50 over it.

7. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Hi Recluse,

I thought the pitch shift couldn't do bends, it zippered......please tell me how you were getting it done.

Chris.

8. the recluse

the recluse Member

Well, this is me trying to remember the setup from gear I had 20 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt. I used an Ernie Ball volume pedal as an expression pedal and assigned the pitch value to it. It could sweep through the range from +24 to -24 and I recall it being relatively smooth.

9. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

I got an SE-70 about two months ago and I love that thing :D The 50 has some great algorithms you can't do on the 70 too, I will definitely be picking one up after Christmas sometime....

10. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

hi my friend!
    i am still hoping you pick up a dl8000 and i would highly recommend that before the 50! you will do some SERIOUS damage with that box--right up your alley!

i recently bought a magicstomp II autographed by our late great hero allan holdsworth--really nice sounds in that little box--and someone on the magicstomp facebook page recently created a new editor for it using mac osx10!

AnalogKid85 likes this.
  11. sev_reed

sev_reed Member

Some have said that this is the same tech as the floorboard-based GT5 and GT3 (not the later GT units though). It seems the GX700 and the GT5/3 share the "analog ods" mixed with COSM digital effects. Anyone know if this is accurate?

Hamer95USA and GreatSatan like this.
  12. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Member

I still have one, and will probably cry/panic if it ever pukes. I've contemplated buying another one.

13. blondestrat

blondestrat Member

How would this compare to a Roland GP-100? I have one and like it a lot but now I only use it for the amp and speaker sims.

14. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

One band famous for extensive use of these is Bolt Thrower,
    they had a very unique death metal tone that served them well.
    I've considered getting one just for that reason alone.

15. blondestrat

blondestrat Member

awesome band I just listen to the whole album! I heard there's another metal band that used the GP-100. The Soldano amp sim is great. I use a Lexicon for effects in the effects loop.

GreatSatan likes this.
  16. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

i'd be interested knowing this aswell, if these were just floor/rack versions of the same unit.

17. stilwel

stilwel Member

I bought a GX-700 new back when they first came out. It was really amazing at the time with so many options. The amp modeling isn't great, but as an fx unit it was extremely versatile. I loved the ability to put any effect in any order. The UI was pretty easy to use as well. I had this unit up until about 2002.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  18. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I owned both the Boss GT-3 floor processor and the GX-700 at different times. They both shared the analog overdrive/distortion sounds. One of the few digital processors with analog overdrive/distortion sounds built into its software that didn't sound digital or grainy sounding.

Guitar George

stilwel likes this.
  19. Silver

Silver Member

I had both for a good while and kept the GP. But for the lack of a drive block, I found it superior in every way. That's me and what I'm into though. The Delay and Harmonizer algorithms alone made it a jewel.

It's accurate in the sense that they're of the same Gen, but not really versions of each. The GT8 and the GT Pro, for example, share the same relationship.