did anyone not like the fuzzfactory

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Jun 23, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

If you did not like the fuzzfactory tell us why it didnt work for you. I have had 3-4 of them and I think they are neat but I never really bond with it. Here it is again, about 6 months after I sold my last and I am gassing over one again. :NUTS

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think you ought to buy one, keep it, and when you think you want to sell it, just set it aside somewhere, til you get the urge for some wild fuzz.

I just got my first one a few weeks ago. Haven't had enough time on mine, but the time I did have...I am positive I am keeping this pedal forever, and also pretty certain I won't be using it to gig with. I probably will use it once in a while to record, and most likely most use I will get out of it is just experimenting for fun. BUT...if I find some really useful, cool sounds, I might end up gigging with it.

The one thing I think is missing from the factory is...some knob that can tame it :). I think I need to just spend some time with it and play...there are so many combinations of settings.

But like so many things, it's strengths are also its' weaknesses (or vice versa) inherently...
    I mean, the extreme flexibility, and the hairfine interplay between knobs, mean that it is a bitch to reproduce a sound from one day to the next. I'm sure Zachary can, and I'm equally sure after some practice with the thing, you can develop a real intuitive feel for it. Learn how to dial in the sounds you want, in which order to tweak the knobs. But the range of possibillities with this pedal (the other side of the weakness that it is not an EASY pedal, or easily reproduceable sounds) are what draws me to it and also what I admire most about it. It gives you enough rope to hang yourself, but you can just start again and try something different. Maybe trying to get a certain sound, you find something even more interesting on the way.

This kinda irrirates me on Harmony-Centreal effects User Reviews, folk DING this pedal for "Ease of use" with, "Well, it's hard to use so I only gave it a 7 here" and they give a 10 to sound quality. Doesn't make sense, ease of use ought to be "well thought out interface?" in which case, this is. It lets you tweak more than any other one I know of, which takes time to learn.

I don't know why you sold (and rebuy, etc.) the FF, but I was wondering. Do you find that after a while you tend to get teh same sounds, or use the same basis settings, so you get bored with it? The reason I ask, both myself and other folks I know of, can have a tendancy to always for example set an amplifier about the same ratio with bass, treble, and midrange. Sometimes, you have to shake things up a bit and try the opposite settings, or random....let your wife or girlfriend dial in something and see what happens....play.

Often, with a highly variable pedal like the FF, one tends to want a little security ("I KNOW if I set the comp here, and the ...." ) but that can easily be stifling to trying new settings. I'm not saying this is your thing, just I notice I can have a tendency to this, so I consciously make myself shake it up once in a while.

But I really DO like the pedal, and it does have a huge "grin factor" and I am sure I will be using it for recordings. Probably a LOT, maybe not for the solo always, but definitely for comping.

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The tamest fuzzfactory setting.

Comp, Gate all the way off
    Gain, all the way off
    Stab, all the way UP.

(volume to taste), this actually gets you a good, all around, basic fuzz. It still higher gain than many would want, but it's still not CRAZY...

BUT, the FF is one incredible pedal... a must IMO.

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

A a wacky studio toy? Yeah! A a jam band space filler? Yeah! A consistant sounding Fuzz? Nope.

I had one too and didn't bond. But that was that...I've never looked back.

Its my least fav Zvex...that and the Machine.

Bob

5. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I had a hard time getting mine to play nice with my live rig. To unpredictable.
    In the studio however, it blew my mind. I have gotten some of the most bone crunching "wall of rock" tones of all time with the FF. Killer.

6. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Yea, I agree with most here. There are a lot of great tones in that box. But it's waaay too much trouble live. I couldn't afford to hang on to it for the recording I might do with it 3x a year. So I bought some other fuzzes.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I love it, but my wife doesn't really care for it. :Devil

Bryan

8. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

...not enough low end in the Fuzz factory.

I'm happiest with a good Fuzz Face.

9. bullet69

bullet69 Member

i want one of these bad. might be my next purchase

10. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Wrong thread to post this on really, but whatever... ;)

I find it a very consistent, very useful fuzz pedal when you want what it does. I use it live, and I have no problem getting exactly the same sounds every time (the trick is to remember where you set the knobs :))... but I disagree that it's very versatile. It certainly can do a lot of variations, but on basically the same theme IMO. It has a particular tone that is what it is, and the variations are only in the degree of crackle/instability/wierdness... and no, it does not have a lot of bass - or treble.

I actually prefer it into a clean amp for maximum obviousness/effect, but it works well as a 'trigger' going into another heavy fuzz/distortion as well, it really brings out the octave-jump stuff it likes to do when it's on the edge of stability.

I like it so much I have two :).

11. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

StompBoxBlues.....nicely said!

I've tried one several times. I love that thing but I never buy it. I should just get it. It's disgustlingly beautiful sounding.

12. Medication

Medication Member

When I first got mine, I was way too impatient to find a sound that I would consistently use. When I finally sat down with it, I ultimately found mine.
    There's a super helpful post somewhere on TGP with hundreds of FF settings. As for low end, I just throw on the neck pick-up when I want the low end and it sounds great.

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

A couple of other comments. IIRC there're 3 Germanium transistors in there, which are quite temperature sensitive, so gain levels are going to vary day to day. Also, I've owned 3 and they didn't sound the same-I kept the one I like the best (least noise, sweetest "low gain" tone)...

14. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

I have a FF as well as a few other ZVex pedals. They are fun for awile but often not the kind of pedal that is going to keep real estate on the pedal board. The only Zvex that is velcro'd to my board is the Super Duper. The Fuzz Factory is one of those sounds that is over the top fuzz wise....which is cool but for a constant usable fuzz I dig the Lovepedal Karl.

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had an older one called "the red special" which I really liked but sold it anyway. Later after kicking the dirt a while I decided to get another. This one was newer and I never liked it as well. Nice pedals but I won't buy another.

16. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

How variable are Fuzz Factory pedals? I remember when I bought mine I compared a few different pedals and thought one sounded a bit better than the others. Is there much variation in a batch of pedals? What about year to year?

Bryan

17. meterman

meterman Member

I had fun with it but overall I found it too bright (needs a tone control) and too unpredictable. I actually got the hang of the knobs on the pedal pretty quickly and found some incredible tones but the problem for me was the extremely piercing and wacky stuff it would do when you turned the guitar volume down at all....

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

OK another "tame" setting...

I set it up to sound/respond much like my Lovepedal Karl fuzz.

Gate @ 3 Oclock
    Comp all the way down
    Gain all the way down
    Stab all the way UP

This yields a gated/controlable fuzz with a hint of upper octave/ring modish tone similar to the Karl. Try it out...

19. woude

woude Member

I hoped it was all the fuzz I ever needed. Turned out the tame, fuzzface setting is not anything like a fuzzface. It lacks bass, has way too treble and it's not smooth at all, so it only does the wacky piercing fuzz thing. I sold it and I might buy it again, but only as my 2nd or 3rd fuzz. A fulltone 69 and a big muff give all the normal and crazy fuzz I ever need. If I need a sputtering sound, I'll run a fulldrive before the 69.

20. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I just had a Vector Fuzz Factory but sold it off about 2 weeks later... I thought it sounded very good but its not something I will use regularly and off it went. I don't think I'm a fuzz guy.

Anyway, I think it really would work best, used to its full potential, if it were mounted on a guitar like how Muse does it.

The osciliation is great stuff, useless without control, but if the thing could be controlled (via the FF's controls), it will be pretty rad! The guitar's vol/pup selector can only control the pitch so much... so yeah.