• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Did anyone notice how ridiculous this Scorpions video was?

Coen Thomas

I remember the Scorpions videos very well, I must have been 13 or 14 and remember thinking , “what a couple of cheesy hasbeens.” It was as cheesy then as it is now.

WesDocJimi

I feel so embarrassed for anyone unfortunate enough to
be caught on video prancing around in spandex, a poodle
perm, and makeup playing crappy hard pop.

bbtr

I'm sure he was just joking.
No I wasn't. I was being totally serious. I KNOW they are considered metal by many - not by me. And I don't want to argue or prove myself right. You stick to your Kiss, Motley Crue and Scorpions, I stick to Bathory, Slayer and Morbid Angel.

And Black Sabbath is NOT metal by a nautical mile - sorry to burst your bubble!

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
No I wasn't. I was being totally serious. I KNOW they are considered metal by many - not by me. And I don't want to argue or prove myself right. You stick to your Kiss, Motley Crue and Scorpions, I stick to Bathory, Slayer and Morbid Angel.

Do you draw a distinction between "heavy metal" and "metal" as genres?

bbtr

Do you draw a distinction between "heavy metal" and "metal" as genres?
Yes, I draw a lot of distinctions, also between hard rock and heavy metal, blues rock and hard rock, etc. Guys going on about Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath should listen to Bathory "Requiem", Sarcofago "I.N.R.I." and Morbid Angel "FFF" over and over until they finally get it.

You say Judas Priest "Turbo"? I say Slayer "Reign in Blood"!

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Yes, I draw a lot of distinctions, also between hard rock and heavy metal, blues rock and hard rock, etc. Guys going on about Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath should listen to Bathory "Requiem", Sarcofago "I.N.R.I." and Morbid Angel "FFF" over and over until they finally get it.

I was really asking if you might consider some of these bands -- particularly the likes of Black Sabbath -- "heavy metal" but not "metal?"

mos6507

Silver Supporting Member

OK, well, enjoy being wrong.

The latter bands you mentioned came about a decade after the ones you previously mentioned. Is your argument that metal didn't exist until the 80's? Slayer has listed all three of the bands you listed as top influences, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
"Crazy World" was my last Scorpions album which I remember liking it much better than "Savage Amusement" but that assessment is 30 years old now. I probably haven't listened to "Crazy World" in at least 28 years. Where does the time go....
Funny I was thinking the same thing a couple months ago and listened to the full album. Still liked it, but noticed I liked it better when it came out. All around that Gorky Park concert and US bands going over to Russia to play. Remember that album of covers that came out around the same time? All those bands, Bon Jovi did Boys are Back in Town, Gorky Park, Ozzy, Scorps...had a name but I don't remember it and now I'm going off topic...

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member

I love the Turbo album, except the song Turbo Lover. Great album, but to me its a hard pop rock album.

OldBones

50 shades of Grey was a monster hit, depicting the same things from willing participants. Was it degrading or honest? Some people like rough fantasy.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I am the minority, I love 80's Scorps AND 80's AC/DC! Honorable mention to Huey Lewis and the News

cram

Seems to be a combination of Blade Runner and their early album covers. Everyone's hair is puffed up, except for Klaus', and he needs some lift more than everyone else! The song has always been a guilty pleasure for me though.
How funny would the argument between Klaus and an over-eager hair stylist who just wants to get through doing their magic to the group for this video and there's Klaus shifting between broken english and german while he threatens to wear a hat for the shoot if this goes on any longer.

Dr Bonkers

An IR Vendor who opted to go for Gold this year!
Gold Supporting Member
The female lead in this video seems to be a prototype for the Katy Perry image or alluring Alanis Morrisette image.

I have never seen this before or heard this song before. It's odd, like they were trying to crossover to the dance/club/freestyle crowd.

Jonathan

In your opinion, what makes a band "heavy metal" instead of just "metal?"

Trending Topics