Did baker and strandberg make a baby....errrr?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Reyybarra, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

Just saw genes b3 ring master and the way it's written on DAG confused me because it resemble another guitar so much...

[​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

2. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

Mean Gene can be my baby daddy anytime.

3. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

There are considerable differences.
    Awesome stuff, both of them.
    Browse the two pages of this thread for construction details.
    Sick stuff.

4. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The Strandberg is elegant and well-designed. The Baker looks cheap and tacky IMO. Different strokes.

5. reentune

Ouch.

I felt similarly initially.
    Like the Baker was kind of vampirey or maybe had a little bit of BC Rich to it.
    But after seeing the way it's made, it's grown on me quite a bit.
    Not that I'll be springing for one.
    I stop at seven strings, as a rule.

6. diego

diego Member

Given the construction pix, I'd love to see one of these Bakers in a natural finish...

7. reentune

Talked to Matte H about that, and he's trying decide on natural or a stain.
    Time will tell.
    Those construction pics are his (with the checkerboard binding).

8. diego

diego Member

Nice! Looking forward to seeing that...

9. whoismarykelly

I've seen it in threads on various forums and I agree with the BC Rich angle. And every time it pops up again I wonder how someone that has always made sort of melty LP doublecut sort of guitars managed to go to this pointy accents aesthetic.

I also couldn't play the thing because the controls are all jammed into the area where my hand needs to be.

10. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I think they both look great. Especially Matte's.

11. gollumxcore

gollumxcore Member

I'm infatuated with Strandbergs work to be honest. That Baker looks so BC Rich-ish. Everyone has their own opinion but damn the Boden is just so sleek and sexy. Don't get me started on the Varberg...what a work of art.

12. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

The Baker only has one major cut different than the strandberg. They aren't that different. I would love to get my hands on a strandberg with a trem.

13. reentune

Agreed that the Strandbergs are just gorgeous.
    Matte is saying the Baker will have more "ass."
    In other words, a stronger fundamental like a juicy LP.
    I could go for either.
    But, hey, I'm up to my eyeballs in Soloway Swans. So I ain't complaining!

14. whoismarykelly

Yeah but thats like saying and LTD Truckster and an R9 arent that different and I doubt anyone would agree with that statement.

15. meangene

meangene Member

This all started when I found Animals As Leaders, plus at the time I was getting ready to release a b3 7 string aka the Baker B1-7 but after heavy thought I decided I wanted to go with an 8. This body shape started with taking the B1 or nowadays the SL model and started pulling on its shape, so you can rather envision a big round booty that was bit off by a shark :). I did use some BC Rich flare in the upper wing plus the 60 degree beveled edges. But my goal with this model was to put my carve top spin on the ergo designs dating way back to Roger Giffins design of the Strat Steinberg, Klien and I admit the Strandberg did catch my eye along the journey, but once you go ergo with the bottom section the similarities do start to chime in. I met Ola at NAMM and thanked him for some new found inspiration and even extended the idea that if he ever needed a different supplier for his OEM builds I would welcome it hugely. This model was built solely for me and I've been writing recording an original CD with my band with it, it completely changed my musical life and visions toward all future guitars. The next few I have in progress will be much more subdued in visual. The black and blue is rather dark and mean looking, next one for myself will be a natural back and probably a honey burst top. But I will say its a fat sounding fiddle built on LP infused DNA, if you held the Strand and Ring Master side by side there are massive differences, more so then a PRS single cut and a LP. I do appreciate all comments good and bad so I thank you for talking about it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  16. meangene

meangene Member

17. reentune

Hell yes, Gene!
    Been talking to Matte about this one a lot, and he is stoked!
    Here's to hoping you do a 7-string version soon.

18. meangene

meangene Member

Plan is to knock out a 7 tremolo fan fret, plus a straight scale 6 in the near next few months..... Far beyond driven \m/_

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I spent quite a while with Gene at NAMM. First off, he's a sweet guy with time for someone who doesn't represent any money in the bigger scheme of things! Secondly, I think that the guitar looks really cool, in the flesh. Sure, it's a little pointy, but I think ergonomics dictate that-it's a much more effective body shape than the original Steinbergs for example. Anyway, it plays and sounds great. I'd be proud to own one!

20. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I am a big fan of the Strandberg design (have two already and a third custom shop order in progress! :D) but there is enough of a difference in the Baker version that makes me not really dig the approach, no offense to Gene. It was already said but the shape has a sort of B.C. Rich deal going on and I think that's what is turning me off about it. All of the cuts that Ola put into the guitar serve a purpose, either as leg positioning or for the forearm contour/rest. I also am not really loving the control layout either as was pointed out already, it's too close to the strings IMHO. The Strandberg positioning isn't ideal for pinky swells or anything but I like where it is located.

The overall dimentions you're using might give it more "ass" (in your opinion), but I have a 7-string Strandberg with a chambered mahogany body as well as a 7-string version with a chambered ash body and neither of them seem to be lacking body or low end to the notes whatsoever, and the design aspect still remains aesthetically-pleasing. ;) Again, I'm not looking to bash as I do love a lot of the stuff Baker has put out, just wasn't a huge fan of the design on these headless guitars unfortunately, FWIW/YMMV and all that. :eek: