Did Boiled Linseed Oil ruin my Fingerboard? How much for New One?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Imerkat, Sep 20, 2019.

1. gigs

gigs Member

It looks fine to me.

mc5nrg likes this.
  2. Dan40

Dan40 Supporting Member

I think it looks great myself. I like to use one or two thin coats of tung oil finish on my rosewood boards. It gives them a slightly darker, freshly oiled look that feels great when it dries.

3. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

I definitely did put a coat of Bore Oil before I applied it. Now I realize it's not as bad as it look right after i wiped the BLO but I have another guitar with a beautiful Indian Rosewood which this is also but it ain't looking like it lol

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Oil doesn't moisturize wood.

KGWagner and 0018g like this.
  5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

You know the more I think about it the more fretboard care is a bit overblown imo- usually by those trying to sell me their product, lol. Whatever I use "a little goes a long way" . Ive used various stuff over the years and neglected guitars/boards (not recommended) for years too while they sat unused, forgotten in their cases. Ive yet to have a board crack or frets loosen. Bottom line -a small amount of oil once ( maybe twice) a year is all that's needed. Ive used lemon oil, mineral oil and even baby oil in a pinch, lol! This years switch to boiled linseed oil Im really enjoying. My thought on BLO is if it dries its sealed- kind of like a maple board. Anyhow it leaves the board looking very nice and feels very nice while playing. I'm definitely not worried about it being "moisturized" and Im in good company too, lol.

From the Taylor web site:

Raw or Unfinished Wood The fingerboard and bridge on your Taylor are unfinished wood (most likely ebony) that has been conditioned with boiled linseed oil. Don't use any polish or wax cleaners on these areas. We use and recommend 0000 extra-fine steel wool to clean the frets and fingerboards. Mask off the soundhole to keep debris from falling inside the guitar, and simply rub the steel wool up and down the length of the fingerboard right over the tops of the frets. This will remove any grime from the fingerboard without damaging the wood and will also remove any oxidation from the frets, giving them a nice shine. Follow up with small amount of boiled linseed oil or our fretboard conditioning oil if the wood looks dry.

6. Imerkat

whoops. :/

7. Imerkat

I concur but I would have to get a grip of my OCD. the rosewood didn't match and like most bright Ideas I have things were better off without them lol

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I wouldnt sweat it. A bit too much will wear off (or can be taken off) . On the plus side it does appear to have darkened the board.

Imerkat likes this.
  9. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

The inlays look fine. As Terry mentioned, you probably are seeing more detail in the dots due to the oil. I've seen dots that look like that many times.

jens5, Imerkat, asilker and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Dude.... how could your fretboard look any better? I would put that fretboard on a pedestal. Your descrip of the after is way off. It's rosy. Before resembles an import, or a baked maple. After looks premo to my eyes.
    But I have had luck with 99% isopropyl alcohol, but be careful using that near lacquer.

Baxtercat and galibier_un like this.
  11. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

Agreed

12. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

I think it looks nice.

13. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

It looks very nice. Give it a few days and you’ll get used to it. Probably it’s just not matching the picture in your head, but that doesn’t mean it’s ugly.

14. bojocatkite

bojocatkite Member

It looks different (darker) but still very nice. If you were completely bonker, and I'm sure you're not, you could go nuclear and do a refret were the luthier would sand down (level) the fretboard and you would most likely be back to original condition (that way you could try another product directly on the guitar again). A fretboard replacement would be way overkill, like replacing the entire guitar :)

galibier_un likes this.
  15. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Looks fine. Not broke, do no further fixing.

16. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Nothing that playing it a couple hundred hours won’t solve, get going!

Imerkat and Dana Olsen like this.
  17. DETRONATI

DETRONATI Silver Supporting Member

It looks great. Much better. Now stop worrying and play your guitar!

Baxtercat, watson503 and Imerkat like this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

All three are mineral oil. The first and the last have scents added to them, but they're all mineral oil. True lemon oil is much harder to find and probably not good for guitars anyway.

Maybe once a year, each fretboard in this household gets a quick swipe-and-wipe of mineral oil (I use Olde Englsh "lemon oil", a $6 bottle lasts forever and smells okay for a few days). It's mineral oil.

Imerkat likes this.
  19. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Looks better in the second pic.

Imerkat likes this.
  20. Imerkat

yup sometimes we can lose sight of what's is really important, thanks y'all!

Thumpalumpacus likes this.