• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Did EVH "Invent" the super strat?

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
You're actually asking two seperate questions.

1) Did he invent the super strat?

No. There are endless historical precedents by other players prior to Ed doing what he did, modifying their strats or other guitars.

2)
Just curious if his cobbled together guitar brought about a massive change that resulted in several companies releasing Super Strat guitars.

Absolutely without question, yes. Virtually every company scrambled to make guitars similar to Ed's and attempted to make a form of the locking FR bridges on his guitars.

IMO it's pointless to argue otherwise.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
I think a lot of us did. We all started doing things to our guitars to deal with frustrating aspects of them and the first opened up lower bout I ever saw was the one I carved out with a huge rasp one night after a gig because I was tired of there being too small of an opening when playing up high.
I know if it bothered me, and it's apparent it bothered others too since Ibanez started offering so many guitars with it, not to mention my homemade all-access neck plate mod, again for the same reasons.
That Strat got used on a lot of stages and those two mods alone made it so much of a better player for me.

That's all that Eddie, Steve Vai, and the rest of us were doing; making our guitars work better for us.

musicman1

Vinnie Martell / Vanilla Fudge had a 3 hb strat, I think Elliot Randall had a humbuckered strat also.
Elliott Randall did a neck humbucker w ss midldle and bridge pickups. I think Robbie Robertson’s Strat which basically moved the middle pickup next to the bridge pickup qualifies as a early Super Strat. I think Jim Messina also played a modified Strat too. IMO EVH launched the availability of single pickup/ Floyd equipped Strat production guitars which you never really saw before he did it.

Last edited:

wraub

He sure made it popular. Now when is someone going to put three single coils in a Les Paul? :p

iu

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
A super strat is more than just a humbucker though. Not sure what else would be considered a necessary ingredient, but I think a locking whammy is a major one and maybe a flatter fretboard radius counts too, idk. Others might say it needs 24 frets and points as well, but I'm not so sure about those.
My actual Strat became a super-Strat long before I ever bought one and all the things you mentioned are things I tried to do to mine's

*Had the fretboard replaced to shorter scale length so I could get a couple extra frets, compound radius and ebony
* Added a humbucker
* Carved out the lower bout for better access
* Recontoured the heel and cut the neck plate to get the corner out of the way, which which required drilling a new hole for the misplaced corner screw
* Added a Stratoblaster, FatHead and Schallers
* Routed the back and installed a wireless for a couple years
* Installed a Kahler, then changed to an Ibanez Edge

Rocco Crocco

Silver Supporting Member
It's Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt, but this seems as good a definition as any. I would agree that just slapping a Humbucker into a Fender doen't make it a Super Strat.

Superstrat is a name for an electric guitar design that resembles a Fender Stratocaster but with differences that clearly distinguish it from a standard Stratocaster, usually to cater to a different playing style. Differences typically include more pointed, aggressive-looking body and neck shapes, different woods, increased cutaways (resulting in deeper horns) to facilitate access to the higher frets, increased number of frets, contoured heel facilitating easier higher fret access, usage of humbucking pickups and locking vibrato systems, most commonly the Floyd Rose.[1][2][3]

There is no formal definition of a superstrat;[3] the categorization is still largely left to popular opinion and depends greatly on the artist(s) associated with a particular model and how it is marketed.

D K Souther

Platinum Supporting Member
EVH didn’t invent the super Strat, he just made a guitar that worked for him. Always making it better. Always pushing the status quo. He did that with everything. That’s why we love him.

Reactions: HJR

matt1969

There was a guy in the Woodstock Movie playing a red white and blue strat with a PAF(s) in it. I don't remember the band or who it was bu t I remember thinking, wow a humbucker in a Strat in 1969. I guess Eddie got the idea from him?

smallbutmighty

I do my own stunts.
Silver Supporting Member
You're actually asking two seperate questions.

1) Did he invent the super strat?

No. There are endless historical precedents by other players prior to Ed doing what he did, modifying their strats or other guitars.

2) Did his cobbled together guitar bring about a massive change that resulted in several companies releasing Super Strat guitars?

Absolutely without question, yes. Virtually every company scrambled to make guitars similar to Ed's and attempted to make a form of the locking FR bridges on his guitars.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

IMO it's pointless to argue otherwise.

That has never stopped anyone.

Custom50

There was a guy in the Woodstock Movie playing a red white and blue strat with a PAF(s) in it. I don't remember the band or who it was bu t I remember thinking, wow a humbucker in a Strat in 1969. I guess Eddie got the idea from him?
Are you thinking of Wayne Kramer's strat maybe?

Wayne-Kramer_MC5_1.jpg

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
Not before Eddie, but big Al Lifeson modified his (black) Strat to include a humbucker and a Floyd (the first iteration of this guitar DID have a locking nut). This would have been done between June and September of '79 (but, possibly sooner).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom