Did Fender change the way they make 351 picks?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by msnes335, May 6, 2015.

1. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

I bought a large bag of Extra Heavy 351 celluloid picks about 3 years ago, and I was coming close to the end of the bag, so I ordered a refill bag. The new picks look and feel and sound different. The new ones have a shiny gloss finish, and are a little harder to hold. Sonically they seem a bit louder and have, for lack of a better term, a little less harmonic content. It's subtle, but enough for me to notice, while a-b'ing new vs old. I wonder if the duller finish on the old ones creates more friction, or drag against the strings, and as a result, a little more harmonic information?

Anyway, Fender, why mess with a classic? Anyone know where to score some NOS 351's?

2. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I don't know if Fender changed the way they make the picks or not. I do hear a subtle difference in different celluloid picks, even a difference in different colors from the same manufacturer.

I haven't used celluloid picks for quite a few years, but when I did I found D'Andrea and Pickboy celluloid picks to sound better to me than Fender. I especially liked the Pickboy Classic Cellulose picks. They can be hard to find in stores, but easy to get on line. I think I got most of mine from Amazon.

3. audiodrome

audiodrome Member

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Does Fender make their own picks? I use the 355 and I notice differences from one batch to the next, as well. I think it's just the difference from one supplier to another one. BTW if you want great tone and attack try to find some 355's from the mid-90's......THOSE picks were awesome. I wish I had bought more of them.......seriously......

5. msnes335

Yeah, it sucks. The difference is the new gloss finish, vs the older flat finish. I have 10 old ones left, and they're like gold to me at this point. I don't run through them like you said you do in your other thread, and with the extra heavys I get very little wear over time. The new ones are a little too bright tonewise, and have a slick feel going across the strings. I never got around to calling Fender to complain, I doubt it would do much good anyway.

Anyway, I'll say it again, if anyone has some NOS Fender X-Heavy Celluloid they want to part with let me know.

6. JJ GECKO

JJ GECKO Member

Way back in the day Fender outsourced their guitar picks to D'Andrea USA, now they have 2 suppliers 1 being "Made in China" and the other being D'Andrea USA still. I noticed that when I buy the Fender 12pc packs they have "Made in USA" and "Made in China" on the back so when I compare my old guitar picks (the D'Andrea USA made ones) I don't hear any difference however when I compare the China made ones to the USA/D'Andrea made ones that is where I hear the difference. Stick with the Made in USA ones if you want the original feel/sound or just order from D'Andrea USA - same exact guitar pick just with a different logo. Plus, I found D'Andrea USA guitar picks much cheaper than Fender anyways. D'Andrea also makes Gibson Guitar Picks, Dunlops Celluloid and many many more OEM's and they have their customized picks and even if Fender makes customized picks it is outsourced to D'Andrea. Pretty much if you buy a celluloid pick it comes from them anyways.

Barnzy likes this.
  7. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

I heard Rio Pecos makes picks like old Fenders...I have some... Can't hear any difference, but I really don't care much about picks as long as they're heavy or extra heavy

Blue-moon likes this.
  8. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

They change the factory the picks are made in once the child slave labour gets to be too grown up.

9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Huge D'Andrea fan here but I sure wish they were still making the .58mm Classic celluloid picks.
    I've got two left and will hate to change although I can hang with their heavier offering I don't want to.

10. msnes335

Thanks for the update, I'll check them out.

11. msnes335

Do you have a link for these, I can't find anything on the internet?

12. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

It looks like Big City Strings may still have some of the .58s. http://www.bigcitystringshop.com/picks-dandrea/ .

13. AndreasG

AndreasG Member