Did Fender CS discontinue the '66 strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by exodus, Dec 23, 2009.

1. exodus

exodus Member

I don't see the '66 custom shop strat on fenders website. Did they stop making this model?

2. Pikesoldier

Pikesoldier Member

i bought one this morning, closet classic, was a limited run of 200. hung on the wall for 2 years, so i doubt they'd have any more info up on the fender site about it.

3. exodus

exodus Member

i thought the '66 was one of the standard 'time machine' models (like the '65 and '69)

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

It had been, then it was discontinued maybe 2 years ago.

The shift is to batches of this and that; whatever Mr. Eldred feels is in demand or feels he can promote successfully.

Sometimes when people know they can have model X any old time, they lay back. Now you gotta move when the stuff comes calling.

5. Ahess86

Ahess86 Supporting Member

I got one from Wildwood and they have more. Great guitars.

6. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Bringing this thread way way back since... it seems very little has been said about these guitars. I've had mine for several years now, have played lots of Fender Customs in the ensuing years, and a lot of S-style from boutique builders, and still the old '66 Firemist Silver LTD stands tall as the one that rings beautifully, with the widest range of frequencies, and makes me smile just to play it. I'm not even a fan of maple fretboards, but this thing has the mojo.

Anyone else buy one of these and hold onto it for a long while?

7. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I got one from Wildwood for an incredible price, and it's superb. It's the alder alter ego to my swamp ash WW10 50's relic Strat. Those two are my main go-to guitars. The 66 Ltd has a full '65 C neck, a nice weight, and wonderful pickups that are beautifully balanced. The bridge pickup had a solder short when I got it -- still sounded nice, but couldn't keep up with its brothers. Fender sent a replacement thru WW, I installed it, and it's all good. I just used it tonight at a local jam, and it sounded like a good Strat should.

8. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Hate to say it, but "This thread is worthless without pics"... :D

I always wanted to get a Strat from '66, my birth year, but considering the price of those originals are still high, I might have to settle for a '66 reissue...if they ever bring any more out... :)

9. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I have one and it is lightweight and DOES ring beautifully. Neck pup is glorious and the middle just sparkles. The bridge pup is great when added to the lower tone control.

10. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Here is the only crappy pic i have right now.

[​IMG]

11. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

12. Pikesoldier

Pikesoldier Member

best strat i've ever had
    sadly, its on craigslist now

this enough photos for you?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. exodus

exodus Member

this thread is a blast from the past. but it comes full circle...

after looking around for a used '66, and not finding one in the color I liked, I just ordered a Fender Custom Shop Team Built (or whatever they call it now).

It's basically all vintage spec except I ordered tall frets (6105 I think?) and a quartersawn maple neck. Also, I had the finish done all nitro, olympic white. (I think the production CS models had a urethane color coat).

like others said, its a standout model year. Mine has a really nice full bodied C shape neck that's comfortable the entire length. Really resonant and acoustically pretty loud (which I attribute in part to the quartersawn neck). The pickups are also really special... I wish fender sold them separately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Very nice, a killer '66. Can I ask you what the price range is for a custom like this from Fender?

15. exodus

exodus Member

It was a bit under $1,500. You have to order these through a Fender dealer, so each might quote you a slightly different price. It's worth shopping around. I also read a rumor that the CS prices increased after I ordered mine, but I can't confirm that.

16. Pikesoldier

Pikesoldier Member

that number seems low for a new custom from fender. when did you get it?

17. exodus

exodus Member

I ordered it in early 2010. And, now that I think about it, I think your right. I think that number was what I owed after putting down 20%

I think it was closer to $2k.

18. Pikesoldier

Pikesoldier Member

mine is up in the emporium now if anyone is interested.