Did Fender prices go up today?

Bucksears

Silver Supporting Member
I know it's the first day of Q4, but the American Original 50's Tele I looked at yesterday was $1849, and today it's $1999! Not just one store, either.
The Fender Deluxe Ash Tele went from $699 to $774 as well.

Parting one together is looking more like a reality.

Bucksears

Silver Supporting Member
Sweetwater, GC, MF

I've all over these Teles this week and they definitely went up today.

David B

Silver Supporting Member
Sweetwater, GC, MF

I've all over these Teles this week and they definitely went up today.
It looks like they went up, but if you Google you can see some dealers still have them at $1849 for the moment.

HTSMetal

I know it's the first day of Q4, but the American Original 50's Tele I looked at yesterday was $1849, and today it's $1999! Not just one store, either.
The Fender Deluxe Ash Tele went from $699 to $774 as well.

Parting one together is looking more like a reality.
Yep, they definitely went up today -- a Fender American Original '50s Telecaster is $1999 at Musicians Friend, GC and Sweetwater, $1849 at Zzounds and some other retailers.

They are absolutely bonkers at these prices. I could slap together a Warmoth build of impeccable quality with the exact options I want for half that price with ease.

Looks like they did. The AO 70's used to be 1899 and is now 1949. The AO 50's used to be 1849 and is now 1999. I imagine it has to do with Ash availability. The 70's one was only a 2.5% increase with is probably actually behind inflation.

Yep, they definitely went up today -- a Fender American Original '50s Telecaster is $1999 at Musicians Friend, GC and Sweetwater, $1849 at Zzounds and some other retailers.

They are absolutely bonkers at these prices. I could slap together a Warmoth build of impeccable quality with the exact options I want for half that price with ease.
True, but warmouth isn't nitro and when you go sell a warmouth partscaster you'll be lucky to get pennies. AO used market is around 1.5k right now. On any normal year it would be around 1.2k.

macrossgeorge

Silver Supporting Member
Too bad my paycheck did not go up.
I have been shopping at the same grocery store since before the pandemic and get almost the same things every week. My bill is nearly twice what it was before the pandemic. My paycheck has not changed at all.

zeppelinpage4

Wasn’t this one of Fender’s best year of sales? Now they’re hiking up the price more? Supply and demand I guess. Frustrating but I’ll just need to be more patient to find a decent deal. No rush, I’m super happy with my 2011 American standard tele.

Last edited:

pedalparty

Are these all Ash bodied Tele's? Fender's recent stance change on Ash likely led to the increase if they are.

beeswax75

Have you guys seen lumber prices and lumber futures? With the pandemic everyone bought wood to do home repairs. Fender must be seeing this and factoring it in. Inflation is very real. Even though this might pass as demand is met in the lumber market, the likelihood of Fender dropping prices is slim. Prices are sticky, and this is likely the new benchmark not just a reaction to the lumber futures.

beeswax75

I think there's some real inflation going on as it simply costs more to produce the same goods under the current conditions.
Yes, sir.
People tend to blame corporations, but they're following the lead of currency debasement. The age of good, cheap guitars is ending, if not over. So we're all either stuck with what we have, build guitars, or pay up. I saw this coming years ago and bought a lot of guitars...but I follow finance closely and am involved in it. I don't think the average guitarist knows about any of what's going on.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Supporting Member
Let's not forget that companies only sell goods for what people pay for them. Don't like price hikes in the middle of a pandemic? Don't buy them and when their sales suffer, the prices will go down.

I like Fender guitars, but jeez - for a bolt on "economy" guitar, the prices of the standard production line are way out of whack. Gibsons seem to start looking like bargains in comparison.

stratadp

Also can't you build Mod Shop versions for cheaper?
You can get the AO neck, but on an American Pro body. It would be roughly the same price.

*Even then, thats only the Strat that has two options for the reissue neck with nitro on the back. Tele is the 50s version only. And Mod shop starts at $1849, reissue neck and different pickups is another $100. So, no discounts at all.

Last edited:
Have you guys seen lumber prices and lumber futures? With the pandemic everyone bought wood to do home repairs. Fender must be seeing this and factoring it in. Inflation is very real. Even though this might pass as demand is met in the lumber market, the likelihood of Fender dropping prices is slim. Prices are sticky, and this is likely the new benchmark not just a reaction to the lumber futures.
Very true. Supply and demand of raw materials and the inflation of their prices is a very real thing.