Did Frank Zappa know music theory?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dead of night, Jan 26, 2015.

1. dead of night

dead of night Member

Hi, Frank Zappa was responsible for very complex, difficult music and had very high standards for his musicians.

Did Zappa know music theory?

If so, what has he said in print that indicates he did?

2. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Of course he did .He studied modern classical compsers extensively(especially Varese).

3. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Member

Seriously?

Who cares what he said in print, the proof is in the music. And if you've got even a smattering of theory and can follow along, even a tad, you'll realize the deep font of theory that he drew on. But if you need the written word to convince you, check out just about any interview he gave (though he almost certainly won;t say, "ah, yes, Peaches in Regalia. That's an inverted V chord with a 9 on top, minus the 5 that leads flowingly into....").

4. dcbc

dcbc Member

In his autobiography, he describes himself as a composer and repeatedly brings up the concepts of tension and release (among other things). He also makes reference to certain harmonic theories. I think it is safe to assume he knew quite a bit about music theory, but, as mentioned above, he doesn't just come out and say it.

His autobiography is a really entertaining and interesting read.

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Anyone who can play an instrument with competency knows some musical theory, if you can compose you know even more, Zappa could play and compose with the best of them, he knew music theory, whether or not he was classically or formally trained in theory I am not sure (but I suspect he was) -- but as others have said, the proof in the the pudding, listening to his compositions and performances it seems very clear to me that he was well versed in music theory.

These discussions are strange to me, whether or not someone can articulate "music theory" verbally does not mean they don't know music theory. That said I think Zappa was pretty conversant as well.

6. SS&HH

SS&HH Member

He had to know music theory at a pretty high level. He used to use his own notation to score much of the music for his band mates. All his band mates were all well versed in music theory in order to understand the notation. It was actually a prerequisite in order to join the band. Former member Steve Vai actually took some of Zappa's scores and transcribed them into standard notation for the purpose of publishing them. Steve Vai actually said that scoring music notation is an art in itself.

7. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

See link

http://afka.net/Articles/index.htm

8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

There is an old Vai interview where he says that he looked over Frank's shoulder while the band waited in an airport, and Zappa was composing to paper. Vai was invited to sit and was told that the piece was based on tone clusters. I dunno, but sitting writing a score from your head to paper seems like someone knew theory.

9. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I do not recall where, but there are examples of Franks hand written scores somewhere on the web and they are gorgeous. He knew plenty of theory and he could also stand in front of a band and deliver a devastating improvised, savage solo. Frank IMO is one of the all-time greats of music, his excellence is certainly not just confined to guitar playing in the slightest.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  10. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

Here's some of his original sheet music. Note the time changes.
    I'd say...yes.

[​IMG]

11. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

Short answer to the question is:

"Yes. Well."

Somewhere there's even a few offhand references made by FZ about Nicholas Slominsky's books (and Slominsky was a theorist's theorist).

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

13. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Nice! (yes, my name is a misspelling of that composition ;) )

14. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Part of the reason that Steve Vai got his original job with Frank (as transcriptionist) is because he sent accurate notation of Frank's pieces to him - he was impressed because the notation was accurate.

15. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

This is a HAND WRITTEN score, by the way. Beautiful penmanship.

Thanks, Dana O.

16. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

They didn't call it The Black Page for nothing.

[​IMG]

17. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Nice and informative interview with world renowned percussionist and long time Zappa bandmate Ruth Underwood. Skip to about 2:30 when she talks about his writing.

I think this is the video Mark Robinson referred to in an earlier post.

Thanks, Dana O.

18. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Same way my screen name is a misspelling of "reent-toont."

And all I ever really wanted to do was
    Play the guitar and bend the string like
    Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee

19. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Every musician knows some theory to some degree. If you know what a I, IV, V is, you know some theory. If you know what a 12 bar blues is, you know some theory. If you understand that the pentatonic scale consists of 5 notes, you know some theory. So why do you question whether Zappa knew any? One of his transcriptions is known as The Black Page because it seems to have more ink than manuscript.

20. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Beautiful!