Did Gibson Actually Improve on the Les Paul Design with the SG?? - SG Love..

eigentone

Silver Supporting Member
The SG's different from a Les Paul. The SG is lighter, tends to have a smaller neck, cheaper to manufacture, etc. That addresses the big three complaints people still have about Les Pauls.

Is an SG better? I personally prefer Les Pauls. If you prefer SGs, that's cool. Different strokes. Therefore, an SG is not an improvement for my preferences.

For my preferences, the Les Paul is the first Gibson design I would add to my arsenal. And the 335 is the second.

Nothing wrong with SGs. They are classics. It may be an improvement on a Les Paul to you, but it is not to me. Buy what you like and play! :rockin

sleeperaxe

Supporting Member
I don't think so. I've owned many of both.

Tonally, they are a bit different, and I think both sound great usually (sometimes there's just a dud).

The main thing is the way they hang. SG's basically hang horizontally while LP's naturally hang with the neck at an upward angle. As a result, I do not have to balance the guitar myself as the LP is already naturally balanced. Really, Gibson should've put the strap button on the upper horn, though I get that that's not aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway, then you have the neck dive issue that plagues many SGs. I just think LPs are a lot easier to play, and the weight is a plus, in my opinion. I like the way they feel.

H. Mac

They’re both classic designs, but completely different, as others have noted.

My first really good guitar was an SG. This was 50 years ago. Now I prefer Les Pauls.

I asked this in another thread but didn't get a reply:

Did the SG originally come with a skinny neck similar to the slim tapers that are so prevalent now, or did it have the "50's profile" to begin with?

and

Is the vintage neck joint a major design flaw or not that big of a deal?

JDutch

The upper fret access on a SG is phenomenal. It makes me hate my LPs. Otherwise, I think I prefer everything about the LP. If I were a bridge-pickup-only guy, I think I'd prefer the SG.

No right or wrong, however. A lot of terrific music has been made on both. It's all personal preference.

Yamariv

The upper fret access on a SG is phenomenal. It makes me hate my LPs. Otherwise, I think I prefer everything about the LP. If I were a bridge-pickup-only guy, I think I'd prefer the SG.

No right or wrong, however. A lot of terrific music has been made on both. It's all personal preference.
Yeah, I noticed this when I picked up my LP to play for comparison..had a real problem getting up to the higher notes after being spoiled with the SG's access!

Yamariv

I'd agree with you. I've always liked the SG design over the LP. As you said, you get a lot of the tone of an LP (thought he SG does have more upper mids and a little more "bite" than the LP), but with the fret access and comfort of a strat. Really a great design--visually, ergonomically and tonally (at least imo).

Welcome to the world of SG.
Thanks, I'm super happy with my acquisition as it fits right in with my guitar collection. All my guitars have to do, feel, or sound different than all the others to stay in the stable..This SG Special is quickly climbing the hierarchy as one of my favorites! It's got some good competition with my other Gibson's though..;)

27sauce

I asked this in another thread but didn't get a reply:

Did the SG originally come with a skinny neck similar to the slim tapers that are so prevalent now, or did it have the "50's profile" to begin with?

and

Is the vintage neck joint a major design flaw or not that big of a deal?
They started out skinny, like the last single cut Les Pauls.

In 63/64 they got bigger, late 50’s style. Generally....

still.ill

So I actually had my tech move the strap button to the top horn ala Iommi on my SG tribute.... it actually didn't seem to improve the balance at all... guitar still wants to be horizontal. one advantage though is now the strap doesn't get in the way of the upper fret access.

paulg

Silver Supporting Member
I’m jealous, you got the Pelham Blue Special! Good pick.

Seth L

I've always felt like it was an improvement. It certainly filled Gibson's coffers up. I mean, they cut the weight in half! :)

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, definitely just different designs because I absolutely cannot play SG's. The neck dive and awkward arm placement to compensate really bug me.

LP all day.

Imerkat

Supporting Member
Gibson SG's are an improvement on the Epiphone Crestwood attempting to compete with Stratocasters.

Trending Topics