Did Gibson ever have a "candy blue" color?

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
I recently saw an early 1990s SG Standard for sale, listed as "candy blue" or maybe "candy apple blue." I'm no Gibson expert but don't recall ever seeing that color. The pics look like a deeper blue, sort of metallic or like Fender's Lake Placid. It doesn't look like Pelham. Anybody know? I ask because I'm sort of interested in it but don't have enough street smarts to recognize a well-done fake.

27sauce

Pearloid pickguard?

Or the one with black hardware? Black guard?

I can think of a couple of 90's blue SG Standards

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
There was Chicago Blue, but it's not at all metallic.

index.php

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
Gibson had tons of oddball colors in the 80s, 90s, and forward. Call Gibson. They might know.

Bob Pollock

Altes Holz
Gold Supporting Member
The candy apple blue was discontinued in 1994. Sapphire blue was available on the '61 reissues.

27sauce

Looks fishy to me. Not necessarily the color, but the hardware. I've never seen a batwing '90's Standard with nickel hardware.

'91 was the first year for this body style, and I believe they only came in Cherry and Ebony.

The '62(2?) reissue came in a blue.

M

Member 20177

I had a 92' SG Standard in that color, should have kept that one

27sauce

Looks fishy to me. Not necessarily the color, but the hardware. I've never seen a batwing '90's Standard with nickel hardware.

'91 was the first year for this body style, and I believe they only came in Cherry and Ebony.

The '62(2?) reissue came in a blue.

I stand corrected!

The hardware still looks to have been swapped out.

27sauce

I can't comment as to the legitimacy, but "Candy Apple Blue" as the name of a color makes about as much sense as "Lime Red" would.
Haha, no kidding.
I've always dug the Bonamassa style LP Gibson did a few years back. There's one floating around town that's a beauty.

bluwoodsman

Haha, no kidding.
I've always dug the Bonamassa style LP Gibson did a few years back. There's one floating around town that's a beauty.
Creme bound and blue. Put a creme poker chip and pickup covers on it and I might faint!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom