did i get a bum carbon copy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pistolsteve, Sep 12, 2008.

1. pistolsteve

pistolsteve Member

... or is this a normal product of analog delay?

Just got mine today, and it's my first delay pedal of any kind. (Also, this is my first post; long time reader, first time poster)

When I set my delay short (like say less than 9 or 10 o'clock) for slapback delay, and then turn the regen up (say, past 11 or noon), after a handful of regens, I start getting a loud, and increasingly LOUDER, feedback noise. I can best describe the feedback noise as cicadas chirping (radioactively mutated cicadas). It'll get extremely loud, unless I roll the regen knob back to 0, at which point the noise goes away.

If I set delay past high-noon, I don't get this problem, but with the delay set anywhere shorter than noon, turning regen up produces this noise.

Is that normal analog delay behavior? If so, I can't imagine why you'd want that. Basically, I can't set my delay short and my regen high without it producing this,basically unbearable, noise. For instance, if I use the settings recommended for slapback in the owner's manual, I get the noise.

Any insight? Anyone else have this with their CC?

2. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

Thats called oscillation it sounds like. It should happen on just about any analog delay when you set the repeats very high. You should get that sound in all delay time setting, although the longer the time, the longer it will take to hear it.
    </div>

3. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

Oh and I forgot to say that it shouldnt happen on suggested settings, but ive never played a CC. It should really only happen when the repeats knob is all the way up (or close to it)

4. pistolsteve

pistolsteve Member

That's why I'm thinking it might be a glitch in my pedal. I get the self-oscillation as early as 12 o'clock on the regen -- but only when the delay is set very short (like probaby 90 ms). once I've got the delay set past 300ms, I can crank the regen and not get the self-oscillation.

I might go to Guitar Center and try out another CC to see if it does it too.

Having said that, i'm getting used to the pedal. I posted originally after about an hour of play. now that I"ve spent another couple hours with it, I'm learning to control the beast -- but it sure seems finicky.

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

What you describe sounds correct to me for most analogue units. If you've set the pedal for slapback I think it's probably normal to get oscillation noises earlier in the traverse of the feedback knob. Traditional slapback sounds only have one discrete repeat or "slap" anyway. Pseudo-reverb sounds probably need a couple more - and these sounds should be available before the unit oscillates when set at shorter delay times. And longer delay times, as you say, don't set off the oscillation 'till later in the feedback knob's traverse. Sort of sounds pretty normal for analogue delay to me. Check out another unit to be sure all is okay but I think you'll find this is how analogue delays are.

6. highfive!

highfive! Member

Yes, nature of the analog delay beast. IME, if I set my CC to 9oc (delay time) it won't fully self-oscillate until I turn the regen knob past 1:30. Spaceabilly, anyone?

7. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

Yup - I just got a Carbon Copy and noticed the same thing. The regen knob seems to be very sensitive. By the time you're up to 9 o'clock there are already 3 or 4 repeats, and by the time you move it to 1 or 1:30, you start to get runaway self-ocillation. Great pedal!

8. sandman

sandman Member

I'm pretty sure Mr.Tripps mentioned something about a mistake in the suggested settings...that could be the thing. Otherwise seems to me like a typical analog delay self-oscilltion...

9. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Mine did the same thing. I found the regen knob to be useless when using short delay.
    On top of that it mucked up my tone. I really tried to like it but really just didn't.

10. dsl

dsl Member

11. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

thanks for the link!

12. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Change the battery, then report back to us. Mine does that when my battery is dying. It is fine, indeed great, otherwise.

13. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Its normal mine does the same thing. What a great little box though.

14. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Mine did it regardless whether using fresh batteries and when using a power supply.

I didn't care for it, but that's just me. Lots of people like it so that's cool.

15. buddatron

buddatron Member

That is what I thought at first. Look at Letter E on the directions card and it says,(Note. The number of repeats may vary with different delay time settings.)
    I was a little bummed at first, and was going to return it. I gave it another chance.
    2 things.
    1.I found this pedal is responsive like a class a amplifier. So, it really reacts to how soft or hard you play.
    2. Like a class a amp it wants to be played loud. The next time I played this pedal I played with a much louder volume on my amp. Much much better.
    I would say give it another chance.
    This is my first analog delay, so I am really used to digital delay, and this is really different.
    Give it another chance, I think you might like it if you do.
    Good luck.