Did I get robbed... Mike KCA or Lord Valve...tube question??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tedjac, Jan 26, 2006.

1. tedjac

tedjac Guest

They are yellow labeled, boxes seem real... how many different ones were made??

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I thought the ECC803S was the long-plate version. I'm always grateful for the tube pictures posted at Tubemonger's site. They should be very helpful to you.

- T

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

From your description, they sound genuine. I have 8 of those tubes in my stash now. The boxes were blue and yellow like you described but other years they were red and black I believe. I have some in both boxes. I don't have my boxes in front of me right now though. The silk screening sounds right too. The pins should be gold plated like most ECC803S's are (I believe). There is a silver fin on the plates as well. I'll check my mfg codes when I get home and try to repost.

If they are real like it sounds like, they are REALLY nice tubes. I love what mine do in most of my amps but like any amp or tube, some amps or tubes prefer certain amps or tubes ;) I'm trying to save mine for special occasions or special amps where they match up the best actually. I paid about $25 a piece for mine 2-3 years ago. Got them from a guy in Hong Kong actually.

4. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I looked at a lot of pictures and the only one that looks virtually the same is a white lettered Tesla ECC83. I suppose that they could have taken some really fine, super quiet examples of this tube and labeled them as ECC803S and gold plated the pins. Other than that being a possibility... I think I got ripped. I guess I'll have to wait and see how they perform once my amp is built. I didn't pay THAT much for them, anyway.

5. Timbre Wolf

Even if you did not get what you thought you'd get, you may be pleasantly surprised by their performance. I've learned this lesson when I thought I was getting some old black-plate Sylvanias, and they turned out to be Raytheons instead. At first I was upset, but then I tried them and found them to be magically delicious - one of my all-time favorites, and much preferred to the Sylvanias.

- T

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

Agreed on that and I have some sweet Raytheons too. I'm not sure if Raytheon manufactured them or if they are relabled. I tend to think there are relabled but regardless, the Raytheon BP's I have are indeed nice tubes.

7. Timbre Wolf

Trying not to get too far off topic, but, briefly - Raytheons can be identified by a partial mica structure on top of the upper mica disk. It's slightly inclined, at an angle, and has a shape that, to me, is reminiscent of some kind of paper clip. Halo-getter wire, too.

- T

8. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Anyone know anything about these tubes??

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Just a thought, you may want to open up your thread title to more than a question for just two people...... You might get more responses.;)

10. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

From what you describe, you probably got NOS Teslas.
    They are from Czechoslavakia (Telsa), which when
    the country separated into the Czech Republic and the
    Slovak Republic the company became JJ.

I've also got some of the older tesla tubes in the
    yellow and blue boxes.

You have I think the good short plate ECC803s tubes.
    Plug em in, how do they sound?
    They probably sound fine.

Good luck and let us know what you find out
    and how they sound.

Also, it is always handy to post pics or links to them.

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    A photo might help. Boxes and printing are meaningless.

If you think you got ripped, why not buy from a reliable source?

12. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Same old story... trying to get a "deal" on eBay. If they turn out to be fakes, I won't blame anyone but myself. I can't try them out until my amp is delivered... a few weeks off.

How do you post pics? I can't seem to find any "browse" button to load them in. I have some pics to post, but...

Thanks

13. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I bought some microphonic mullard 12AX7's off ebay one time, my only tube purchase of ebay, and learned the hard way...

14. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Your pics have to be hosted on the Web somewhere. You can't post them off of your hard drive. Once you have them uploaded on the Web, then you click the icon above teh post box that looks like mountains and cut-and-paste teh URL into teh box.

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Unless JJ is making a gold pin 12AX7 of some number, those are probably real. No one MAKES fake tubes (especially with gold pins) they just take existing cheap tubes and print desirable labels on them.

16. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Mike.... thanks for the input, I hope they're real. I'll have to wait to get the amp to see how they sound.

What's your best value in 6L6 power tubes right now? Do you have any nice, matched pairs that will give something solid to compare with 4 6V6s in the same amp? In an amp that probably won't be driven too hard, will there be a big difference in sound/tone between a 2 6L6 set-up and a 4 6V6 set-up... assuming that all the tubes are of similar quality?

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

You should email me about this. The board isn't a business location.

What amp? What plate voltage? What price range? What are you using now? If you could change anything, what would it be? How much headroom do you need compared to what you have now?

18. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

somebody correct me if i am wrong but 803s should have long plates. I have been doing some searches since finding some questionable teslas

19. collinsamps

collinsamps Active Member

cut cut snip snip..........belay my last!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009