Did I just get lucky with my Two Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GoodGAS, Apr 20, 2008.

1. GoodGAS

GoodGAS Supporting Member

Like so many of us who enjoy this forum, I've been thru my share of good gear - with a particular taste for custom shop Fenders and Gibsons, a wide variety of boutique amps, pedals, etc. But until just recently, I hadn't owned a Two Rock. I had only heard a couple of their models live - an Opal and an Onyx I believe...and a few clips of other models thanks to my virtual gear buddies here on TGP. I certainly read a great deal of opinions of the Two Rocks that have been posted here and on the TR forum. Ahh, but knowing we all have different musical tastes and hear things differently I've had my share of gear purchases based only reading reviews and maybe hearing some clips that didn't quite deliver what I was hoping.

Then as it often happens, a few weeks ago a gear buddy shows up at my house with a TR head - a Custom Reverb Sig. And we're comparing it to various really good amps - Komet, /13's, Marshall, Bad Cat, etc. For days I couldn't stop thinking about how good that TR sounded. So I begin the hunt for one that culminates in a trade/cash deal with a fellow TGP'r for a TR CR Sig in exachange for one of my /13's.

While I'm waiting for it to arrive, I've got the usual angst of letting one of my favorite amps go and whether or not the TR thang will really deliver what I'm hoping. Of course I'm also letting go a /13 cab to make room for TR 2x12 cab - loaded with a TR 12-65 and 12-65R.

So now I'll cut to the chase. My TR rig is IMO the most incredible amp I've ever played period! I can't stop playing it... and every guitar, every pedal I put in front of it just smokes. For a guy who's been messing with this stuff for 35 years it's almost laughable how good this thing is. For instance I just spent about 2 hours with my Danny Gatton tele and a 60's NOS Strat running thru some Tom Petty, SRV, Hendrix tunes and had to stop to write this post.

So did I just get lucky with this amp absolutely nailing everything I've every hoped for in an amp? Is this the typical TR owners expience???

2. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

+1, but I just got a Classic type3 and the amp is just amazing...
    the versatility floors me and the TONE is so inspiring.
    Between this and the KR12 I'm speechless...:crazy

3. trap

trap Supporting Member

congrats on the amp. i think they are great and i have 3 friends who think they are as well. just enjoy it, it gets better!:)

4. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Goodgas

Great story. Glad I could play a part. Looking for my second TR or equal as we speak. IMHO you did not just get lucky. TR is the real deal.

5. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

I owned two I thought were at best mediocre and one that sounded really great...so I dunno : )

They were all Emmy Pro's.

6. supar6

supar6 Member

Damn... good question. I've loved my Fargen Miniplex so much I couldn't stop playing through it to try a Two Rock. Now you've got me thinking. :)

7. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

KR12?

8. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

9. Crikey

Crikey Member

If you need to ask yourself that question, better slow down with the night life, tiger! :D

Crikey

10. tonequest

tonequest Member

You got REAL lucky, i've owned several, every time I hope to get a "good" one but...ok i'm totally joking. I went on a search a few years ago for an awesome clean tone and great overdrive in 1 amp and that's how I found two rock. Every one i've owned has been magical IMO. And, Joe and Bill give beyond top notch customer service and support. Even though I will own other amps, and buy and sell different two rocks as I have (I just need a new amp day every now and then:)) they have a customer for life, because of the way they have taken care of me, and the consistency of the product they release. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. Welcome to the club!

11. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I have to say of the almost 30 amps I've been through, none have given me the same playing satisfaction as the Custom Reverb I owned. The Clean was to die for and the touch responsiveness and harmonic dynamics were inspiring. My only reason for selling was the OD, which was gorgeous, just a little too polite for what I need in the band. I also had a Ruby that was a monster. If i could get the CR clean and the Ruby OD in one head I would sell off the herd today.

12. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Starting to play out more with my new Classic Reverb, and it is fantastic. I thought the Opal that I have was great, but this has taken it to a new level. While I appreciate the two channels in the Opal, CR Sig, etc., I really dig the single channel nature of the Classic Reverb and it's functionality with a myriad of pedals. Can't say enough about it, great stuff and I share GoodGAS's excitement!

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I had a Topaz a while back that was REALLY good. Unfortunately, I was out of work for a period a couple years back, and I had to sell it. But it DID sound great, IMO...!

14. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Happy birthday Dave! Still posting even on your birthday...

15. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

It's a dirty job...

16. GoodGAS

GoodGAS Supporting Member

Thanks all for the great responses and insights!
    I'll ditto the comments on their customer service as well...
    Bill there patiently and gracously walked me thru a quick check and adjust on the biasing over the phone and answered a few other questions I had being a newbie....

Tone Disciple you are revealed and I owe you a debt of gratitude!!
    I'll get the next round :drink...oooops, non-alcoholic of course given you are a disciple :roll

17. November5th

November5th Member

Congrats on your Two-Rock find.I also own a CRS ,I wish this amp was around years ago ,because I would have saved alot of time and money finding my tone.Beautiful warm chimey cleans , and the smoothest finger smiling overdrive.My amp GAS has been cured.Enjoy.Peace.:BEER

Dean

18. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I have a feeling it would cost an arm, a leg, and a butt cheek, but I wonder if they could do that (Ruby OD and CR clean). What an amp that would be!

19. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I have a KR12 also and love it; actually just sent it to Lou on Thursday for some updating. Tell me about your Classic type 3 and the tones you're getting between it and the KR12. Sounds like you have cleans, grit, raunch, and just about every shade of OD covered between the two. Great amps.

20. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aren't these amps like $5,000 -10,000 per the website?

That's a lot of money for an amp IMHO. I never played one and if they are that good, I hope I never do. That's one bug I hope not to catch.