Did I make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Paranoidsam, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Paranoidsam

Paranoidsam Member

I've been eyeing up a Blues Junior for a long time, and got to test one out a few weeks ago which left me quite impressed.

Last week after another band practice with my Hot Rod Deluxe, after being constantly told to turn down (despite being about as low as I can go), and having a raging back and shoulder ache after carrying it around all evening, I took the plunge and asked my local guitar shop to get one in for me... I picked it up yesterday.

I have to say, I'm more than a little bit disappointed. To my ears, it doesn't really sound very Fender-like at all... In fact, I'd say it's closer to a Vox tone. The deep, glassy Fender bass tones just aren't there, and there's a very Voxy midrange and top end.

I really want to like this amp... Its the perfect weight, size and volume for rehearsals and small gigs. I just want more of a classic Fender tone from it.

I know there are a lot of mods out there. I do still have an 8 ohm Jensen C12N lying around, which I've heard can really bring it to life. Just want some opinions before I go and void the warranty..

2. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

For size weight and the tone you're going for, I'd look at boutique offerings. Like Headstrong.

3. Paranoidsam

Paranoidsam Member

Its likely out of the question since I've spent rather a lot on this amp already, and the word "boutique" is probably way out of my price range... Plus, if I was to exchange it for anything, it would have to be something my local shop could get in, and I seriously doubt he'd be able to get something like a Headstrong.

4. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Jeez man I would bring it back. They have no bass.

Rhythm Rocker, e??? and ce24fan like this.
  5. Paranoidsam

Paranoidsam Member

I doubt he'll take it back simply because I don't like it... Usually would have to be a fault to get a refund.

crazyneddie likes this.
  6. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Well, those amps are kind of popular so hopefully he'll work with you. Good luck man.

7. Paranoidsam

Paranoidsam Member

Yeah, thanks mate... If not, I'll probably have to sell it on.

8. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

Hmm, to my ear, I haven't had that problem with the Blues Jr's I've played. Sounded "Fendery" to me. Speaker upgrade could help possibly? Or look at a Princeton.

9. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I like the HRD better, and have ab'd mine against BJs often. Taking a step down in tone would not be part of a plan for me. They are OK for jams. I would get a deluxe reverb if I wanted a smaller hrd.

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  10. gigs

gigs Member

Don't give up on it just yet. Speaker swap is huge. Also check the tubes, maybe a tube roll is in order. After that... sell it if you dont like it.

DanielHillshafer likes this.
  11. Paranoidsam

Paranoidsam Member

Speaker swap is easy enough... Got the Jensen that's doing nothing.

What do you mean by a tube roll?

12. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

I know a lot of people like them and they work for them I had two. The first one I could not bond with and sold it for all the same reasons you mentioned.
    I got the second one cause I thought maybe it was just me I did a bunch of mods to it and ended up at the same spot. Except I had another $350.00 into it with mods and sold it at a loss of around $450.00.
    For a few bucks more get a Princeton or similar modern amp.

Boutique is the route to go imo.

They should take it back how would you possibly know you weren't going to like it before you got it. I could see them charging a restocking fee though.

Good luck.

Stratonator likes this.
  13. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

Music is too fun to be stuck with stuff you don't like. If you can't get a sound from it with the Jensen, put the stock speaker back and sell it on. On another note, your band needs to turn UP.

joeprs and QRSS like this.
  14. Paranoidsam

Paranoidsam Member

Finally, someone who sees it my way...

Rhythm Rocker, Turi and joeprs like this.
  15. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Member

Not saying this will get what you want as we all like different things, but try the following settings and see if it sounds more Fendery for you.

Fat Switch = Off
    Master Volume = set to Max (12/12) (this opens up the tone a lot, adds girth and also helps the Reverb sound much better).
    Bass = 8/12
    Volume = 4/12 (or less)
    Middle = 2/12 (the mids seem to have some high-end harshness that is hard to dial out so running them low pulls that out, it also gets a more Fendery scoop, there's plenty of mids built in to the amp even with them dialled right down, you actually can't them right out on the stock amp).
    Treble = 4/12 (set to taste for high end)
    Reverb 3/12 (set to taste)

That should get a nice clean sound with some good Bass.
    With a Strat I usually also run the guitar's volume knob back a bit ... around 8+ or thereabouts, that allows to run the amp a little louder to compensate and also takes a little harshness off the highs.

Anyway try that, it might help or give you some ideas to run with.

Paranoidsam likes this.
  16. Paranoidsam

Paranoidsam Member

Thanks mate... Its 20 to 4 in the morning here, and I doubt the neighbors would like that, but I will certainly give that a go.

17. gigs

gigs Member

Roll out the current set of tubes with other tubes. Lots of resources available to give you advice on what tubes may work better.

18. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

I have fun reading threads on this and other msg boards about amps that people bought after (ahem) buying into the hype only to be disappointed with them.

A common one I see mentioned in all of them multiple times is ALWAYS the Blues Jr. People buy it, do all the possible mods only to realize you can't turn it into something it's not. It's a small amp and always will sound small.

I'd strongly recommend sticking with your amp BUT have a tech change the volume knob with one with an audio taper. Instead of it going from whisper quiet to blisteringly loud within the slightest nudge, you'll have every possible shade in between to choose from, thus fixing the issue.

b80, Abram4235, Turi and 3 others like this.
  19. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The Blues Jr runs el84 right? I think that's a big difference. Maybe you could take equity from both the BJ and HRD and put it towards a Princeton?

If you had to special order the Blues Jr, a return is not simple, but if you bought it from a regular dealer, there should be a period of time to just return it (in new condition)

mlj_gear likes this.
  20. warren3333

warren3333 Supporting Member

The elephant in the room.. The BJ is a very average amp imho.

Boutique is the way sadly. We've all been there mate !

Abram4235 likes this.