Did Jimmy Page EVER play a Marshall in studio w/ Zep?

Balok

The Heartbreaker unaccompanied solo is THE textbook LP into cranked Marshall sound, and one of the best ever captured - very high volume and room miked. Why he couldn't have used this tone and other cranked Marshall tones on more Zeppelin solos is a head scratcher.

vintage66

I prefer his live tone in almost every instance. The one exception might be Since I've Been Loving You-anyone know what he was using there? Actually, his tones on Physical Grafitti were great. It's not that the studio sounds were bad, but, you know, Les Paul/Marshall is hard to beat.

The Heartbreaker solo and Bring It On Home are the only times Page explicitly mentions using them in the studio. Anything else is an open debate. Most of II was done with the Vox UL4120.

I doubt any of SIBLY was a Marshall, he wasn't using them at all at the time. The solo was done with an amp found in the studio.

hippietim

This is just about the best guitar tone ever. It's certainly the best song ever. IMO, of course.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
The Heartbreaker unaccompanied solo is THE textbook LP into cranked Marshall sound, and one of the best ever captured - very high volume and room miked. Why he couldn't have used this tone and other cranked Marshall tones on more Zeppelin solos is a head scratcher.
Because he almost always tracked the band live, and they almost always miked the drums in the "Glyn Johns" pattern (Over head mic 40-60" above drums, side mic equidistant from the snare) which would pick up far too much guitar, and he liked to not put the guitar in an iso booth or anything like that.

I've heard SIBLY was an amp found in the studio, and I read somewhere it was an ampeg.

ZosoRush

I prefer his live tone in almost every instance. The one exception might be Since I've Been Loving You-anyone know what he was using there? Actually, his tones on Physical Grafitti were great. It's not that the studio sounds were bad, but, you know, Les Paul/Marshall is hard to beat.
The amps Page used for Physical Graffiti were Vox AC30's

hippietim

Yeah,.....that's more like it. Why the hell would the cut that out? Up there in the top ten coolest live parts ever recorded.
No kidding. Everything about that version is near perfection. It's some of Bonham's finest drumming, the keys are magical, Plant is brilliant, and Page is just amazing.

Trending Topics