1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Did my amp get damaged

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by WorshipGuy, May 18, 2011.

1. WorshipGuy

WorshipGuy Member

Question for the amp techs and builders out there...
    Someone helping us set up turned my amp on in the standby position for about 3 - 5 minutes without the speakers plugged in. So no load on the amp.
    Did it get damaged??

Still works...but did anything bad happen that won't show up just yet that I should be concerned about??

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

What usually happens when you do this is that when you go to sleep tonight, your amp will run off with the milkman.

If it works, don't worry. :)

3. jerrydyer

jerrydyer Member

4. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

IF the amp was on standby while unconnected to a speaker nothing bad happened.

Most standby switches completely disconnect the high voltage supply from the tubes. A few simply mute the amp. Those are rare and since you didn't tell us what amp you're talking about :mob I'll sorta guess yours isn't one of those. Even for those this is not normally a problem.

There is nothing magic about the connect speaker first rule. In general you don't run without a speaker for the same reason you don't floor the gas pedal of your car in neutral.

For normal amps it is perfectly safe to connect and disconnect speakers in standby. If you mentioned what amp you have :bitch we could say for certain.

5. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Amps that just mute but call it standby should be banned. Call it what it is so we KNOW what the heck you mean.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

No input signal= no damage.You need to have input to get output so unless you plugged in a signal generator and hit it with a 1v peak to peak signal,then there is no way it can hurt the amp.

7. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Really? assuming that the amp is on standby (and again.. we dont know what type of amp but assume something fenderish) what would blow if there was no load and input signal?

8. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

No input = no output.What can get hurt?Try this: turn on your amp and idle it.Nothing going into the input jack.Measure the AC volts at the output jack.What reading do you get?
    Nothing,right?
    No input= no output.

9. WorshipGuy

WorshipGuy Member

The amp is a D13 EDT13/29

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

It doesn't take that sort of input, just a normal guitar signal with no load will do it. Seen it on the bench.

Some amps, I'm thinking old Marshalls from experience, tend to not be all that stable and can go into a self oscillation. This will do harm.

11. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Ok.. I am still lost here.

Scenario A) No load. Fender amp with nothing plugged in the output jacks (so they are shorted). Amp on STANDBY. Signal coming into the amp = Damage

Scenario B) No load. Fender amp with nothing plugged in the output jacks (so they are shorted). Amp NOT on Standby. No signal coming into the amp = ?