Did reverb.com remove the ages of listings? [EDIT: They're STAYING!]

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Smashies, Feb 18, 2020.

1. mdubya

mdubya Member

Yep.

Yep.

And, lesson learned. :aok

I won't rule out using Reverb for purchases, entirely, but I am much more reluctant to do so now.

I am glad the creators made their nut and I really enjoyed the Reverb experience up until my most recent purchase. The seller was perfect. Reverb was basically a$$h0les about it. Etsy can mull that over. Or not. :aok

If I were a seller, I would be using Reverb as an advertising wall to direct purchasers to private listing sites like tgp.

I have worked for great companies that were taken over by new companies who brought in new cultures and approaches. I left as soon as I could.

2. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Hi - Seymour, VP of Sales for Reverb.com here. Yeah, we took off the 'days online' metric from our site. We found that it disenfranchised sellers who had listings on for a long time - thereby subjecting them to low ballers, tire kickers, and chiselers disproportionately across the seller population. So, removing information levels the negotiation playing field. We also noticed the disparity of photo quality across sellers, so we're also removing them as well. A single sentence description of the instrument should be sufficient. 'Seeing less' is actually better for the sale!! Oh, we're also raising our fees 25%. Have a nice day! :D

FiestaRed, mdubya, Abram4235 and 2 others like this.
  3. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

I would not expect a seller in the first 7-10 days of a listing to be willing to move. They are testing the market for their item. I understand them wanting to see if they can get their ask. So I would not make an offer during that initial period. If I really want the item, and don’t want to risk losing it I will pay the ask.

Also the reality that their ask may not be reasonable for the item would start to set in after some time and would likely affect their openness to an offer... assuming a reasonable seller.

Additionally, if I think I might want to make an offer I would not want to potentially poison the well while they are in the initial “glow” of their listing and could take any offer personally (I have had sellers freak out over an offer 10% below ask on a multi thousand $$$ item).

A listing that has been there for an extended period and has offers (which were obviously rejected) can signal rigidity in the sellers pricing and would prevent me from making any offer.

As an example: https://reverb.com/item/21377423-jackson-randy-rhoads-1989-black-gold

I am interested in this instrument. It has been at $1,400 for about 7 months now. Comps sell for $1,000-1,200. 2 of the 4 offers came in while the asking price was $1,400. I would like to make an offer of $1,200, but I am confident it would be a waste of time and given his commitment to this price would probably insult him. He is at his floor (at least for the moment). He has not come to grips with the idea that the instrument is not worth what he is asking. This is a guy who given a bunch of realistic offers would end up on a forum complaining about lowballers. Having the data to decide that making an offer is futile makes it less stressful on everyone.

Your logic may actually be illogical I believe, because you seem to assume that all asking prices are reasonable and the buyer is the one being unreasonable. This is simply not the case. The polka dot V I shared earlier started at $20,000. All the comps I could find for a vtrem equipped polka dot rhoads V sold for $1,400-1,600. The seller has a 50% price reduction now. Looks like a big discount, but knowing it has been floating out there for 9 months adds context for people who may not be familiar with that particular guitar.

The listing age is an important metric for helping to determine if an item is overpriced for the market. Especially since we do not get to see actual sale prices on sold listings (unless you are lucky and an item has a price guide).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Jerrod, Abram4235, DGA and 3 others like this.
  4. Christian Marcelli

Christian Marcelli Member

First, market values are only reliable if consumers are informed. Second, retailers deal in new, mostly fungible products. So if Reverb wants to take off time-on-market for new items, fine. For used gear, it is important information. You even admit that people use that information to formulate offers.

Used gear requires information different than new gear. It keeps sellers honest, and I'm not sure why you are against it.

5. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Waste of time? It takes 2 seconds to make an offer. Offer $1200 and roll the dice. The worst that can happen is nothing. You're overthinking this.

soulman969 and Devnor like this.
  6. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

I think not. If I piss off the seller, I am dead in the water.

Also, I do not care to deal with some sellers nastiness in response to offers. Some people take things quite personal.

You can play checkers, I’ll play chess.

7. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

i build websites for a living and all sites are designed with the customer/user experience in mind. Are you saying that a designer hacked off this feature for “design/page layout” purposes? If so, this is a poor example of not listening to your customers.

8. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

Love Esnipe - never EVER put my highest bid in ebay and "wait it out". I DO however, do that in Esnipe. If I don't get the item, it wasn't meant to be.

Fantastic cook and chillybilly like this.
  9. Devnor

Devnor Member

There's the problem right there. Stop playing games and you won't have to deal with any nastiness. Make an offer, they might counter your offer now are you serious about buying a guitar you need or you just wrangling price to flip? Chances are you won't buy anyways. Something else always comes up. That's my experience with accepting offers.

ixnay and guitarbilly74 like this.
  10. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

I think they are A/B testing the removal. If that is accurate, they would be measuring performance of their control groups against the metric(s) they are trying to move.

Jerrod and danoverb like this.
  11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Sites oriented towards selling/sellers (from whom they make their money) often employ the tactic of providing as little information as possible that the buyer will find helpful when negotiating a price. It sucks...but there's nothing we can do about it, other than buy from somewhere that provides you with more info (good luck).

Abram4235 likes this.
  12. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

Meh - $200 diff wouldn't piss me off as a seller. If you offered $700 on that $1400 with no text or message, just a cold $700 (even a cold $1200 would signal "what the hell offer" to me) that would piss me off- - always start a chat first, if you're really interested.

Jayyj, uab9253 and guitarbilly74 like this.
  13. m@2

m@2 Member

+1 . this sums up my thoughts... items priced high that just sit forever are a big red flag for me, and I want the ability to quickly avoid these sellers.

Abram4235 and Gallery like this.
  14. guitarbilly74

Well, you can play checkers and chess yourself. I am on Reverb to buy/sell gear, not to play any games.

I always make my best offer upfront and let the seller decide. If I am "dead in the water", it's just a guitar and I have plenty of them.

Stop playing silly games lol

15. Toosday

Toosday Member

This is a small impact on me as I do not push people off-site but the worst thing about this is that it only effects individual sellers. Shops are not paying Reverb a contingency fee for every listing where someone calls the brick and mortar directly in an effort to save some coin.

All of this aggression on the part of online marketplaces is due to the change in the sales tax laws which essentially doubled the transaction costs.

16. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

No games being played. I only make offers if I intend to buy (if we come to an agreement) and if I believe I have a reasonable chance of getting a price I am comfortable with.

You are viewing everyone through the lense of your experience, just as I am.

I would be interested to see if perhaps your experience could be influenced by your pricing. If you are pricing too high and have your attitude towards offers your “tire kickers” are people who walk away due to your unrealistic expectations.

I don’t know if that is the case, but since you are painting with broad brushstrokes it is fair for me to do the same.

Jerrod likes this.
  17. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Ahh yes. Ease of buying on the internet is clearly the buyer's problem. :rolleyes: Let's just conveniently forget how easy (and free) it is for anyone to set up a virtual "storefront" via Reverb, and pretend to be a small business.

It's used gear, in a used gear selling platform. It's no different than a flea market. Primitive as trade can be nowadays, and still have the option of credit card. Haggling still rules the day (as it does in every flea market on every planet). The internet is the leveling field. Certainly not Reverb. If a seller can't handle the internet working against them, I suggest using the classified ads in a local newspaper. The ones that still exist, that is.

Abram4235 likes this.
  18. guitarbilly74

You're welcome. Sitting on a "rare guitar" for 7 months over $200 bucks. Some collector you are lol

but yeah, wait another 3 months until he lowers the price (if he does) so you can brag about the 20 bucks you saved for each month you waited.

games games games...

soulman969 likes this.
  19. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Well, that pretty much settles it for me. I'm out, best of luck and so forth.

BlueRiff likes this.
  20. guitarbilly74

you do realize he's not really with reverb and he's being sarcastic right?