Did Star Trek (original) influence Stanley Kubrik's 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BluesForDan, Mar 27, 2020.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

Last night I was watching "Tomorrow is Yesterday" episode 19 season 1 of Star Trek The Original Series. There was a motif in the soundtrack that seemed to channel the Also Sprach Zarathrusta theme from Kubrik's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Seeing at the TOS was 1967 and the movie was 1968, it had me wondering.

I loved Star Trek when it first aired and thought it was the greatest thing ever. I was a total space geek from the beginning of the space race. I had zero interest in the westerns shows that dominated and I do mean saturated American television in those days.

In 1968 when I was 10, my grandmother took me to see 2001: A Space Odyssey. God bless her, she was probably utterly baffled by it but I was enthralled. The music from that movie also seeded my love of classical music as well.

2. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Kubrick was already a futurist, so no I think with the rich heritage of American/worldwide SF that they were arrived at independently...

Sir Arthur C. Clarke did not "need" Gene Roddenberry any more than William Gibson
    needed Jack Kerouac... :)

We're all standing on the shoulders of giants.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

For what’s it worth, I played a world premier of a piece by this guy, who wrote the music for several episodes of Star Trek. It was nice to have electric guitar written, as if were a real instrument!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Duning

4. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I do think 2001 influenced the first Star Trek movie

sahhas and Gig Young like this.
  5. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Agree with much of what was said above. “2001” and the OG “Star Trek” series are very different.
    Some of the incidental music in the Star Trek series is certainly classically inspired(“Rite of Spring” figures into it).
    But, I doubt AC Clarke and Mr.Kubrick drew anything from Star Trek.(?)

sahhas likes this.
  6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I have never been able to make it through 2001 without falling asleep. Never. Tried three times. Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

sahhas, Comanche5 and sixty2strat like this.
  7. homerhead

homerhead Supporting Member

So what's this about syncing up Echoes with the Jupiter and Beyond end of the movie? First heard about it yesterday. Back to under my rock...

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

2001 was already well into production when the first Star Treks appeared.

Checking the Wikipedia page on the movie, Kubrick had chosen the classical pieces early, which would have been 1964, '65 or so, as temporary music for the soundtrack, and commissioned an original score to be written. Then in post production he decided to use the earlier chosen classical pieces, presumably including the Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I guess it's possible that work was included late, which may have been after the Star Trek episode which was January '67, but that all seems like a pretty big stretch to me.

Here's the whole Wiki section on the music--

Music--From very early in production, Kubrick decided that he wanted the film to be a primarily nonverbal experience[62] that did not rely on the traditional techniques of narrative cinema, and in which music would play a vital role in evoking particular moods. About half the music in the film appears either before the first line of dialogue or after the final line. Almost no music is heard during scenes with dialogue.[63]

The film is notable for its innovative use of classical music taken from existing commercial recordings. Most feature films, then and now, are typically accompanied by elaborate film scores or songs written specially for them by professional composers. In the early stages of production, Kubrick commissioned a score for 2001 from Hollywood composer Alex North, who had written the score for Spartacus and also had worked on Dr. Strangelove.[64] During post-production, Kubrick chose to abandon North's music in favour of the now-familiar classical pieces he had earlier chosen as temporary music for the film. North did not learn that his score had been abandoned until he saw the film's premiere.[63]

9. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Here’s the music for that episode. I can’t get enough of this mid 20th century modern orchestral music.

Robot B9 and HoweFan like this.
  10. HoweFan

HoweFan Member

Kubrick did the right thing with the score. 2001 without Gyorgy Ligeti's music would be like Alien without H. R. Giger.

BluesForDan, Heinz W and mycroftxxx like this.
  11. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

IIRC there was talk of Floyd wanting to score it.

12. LHakim

LHakim Member

I was also 10 when my mom and uncle took me to see 2001 in '68 in it's original widescreen format. We went to see it because I was totally obsessed with NASA and the space program. Little did they realize they were taking me to a movie that was designed to mess with our minds.;)

Anyways, 2001 to this day is the most impactful movie I've ever seen--especially the star gate sequence. For weeks afterwards, my friends and I would try to recreate those swirling, fluid effects.

I was also a hugh Star Trek fan. However I don't think Kubrick borrowed anything from it. More likely the other way around. I'd also bet Roddenberry was envious when he saw what he could have done with a bigger budget from Desilu/Paramount.

Anyways, even as a kid, I always thought the musical score fit that movie so well.

Heinz W and Derek Revell like this.
  13. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

I loved Star Trek too, but the funny thing is that probably most episodes were westerns after all. Instead of apaches and comanches bad aliens were the enemy, and instead of many carriages in a long trail the pioneers traveled in the USS Enterprise. And if an episodes wasn't a western, it was most likely a claustrophobic 'trapped in the submarine' episode. Loved it! :D

shane8 likes this.
  14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Kirk would bang anybody, no matter what planet they were from.

shane8 and peter_heijnen like this.
  15. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

That's how society evolved. Had it been in the wild west, he would hang anybody, no matter what gang they were from.

guitarjazz likes this.
  16. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

They were both influenced by the time, as in it was time for them to be written and produced. Fate can not be duped.

2001 is my favorite movie. During these last few months the final scenes replay often, with me as the dying man. It's somehow comforting that I'm not the first to experience the dawn of man or the final frontier.

Digital Larry and Heinz W like this.
  17. lhallam

lhallam Member

There is definitely some Holst influence in some of this.

27sauce likes this.
  18. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Eric Rowland and Robot B9 like this.
  19. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

The only "influence" Star Trek may have had on Kubrick, was likely that ST was the kind of thing Kubrick and Clarke were trying very hard to avoid.

middy and peter_heijnen like this.
  20. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

loved Lost In Space.

Eric Rowland likes this.