• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Did the Golden Reverberator knock your Strymon/SA off your board?

Did the UA Golden Reverberator replace your Strymon/SA

• Replaced my Strymon

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • Replaced my SA

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Replaced my SA/Strymon but then I went back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, couldn’t replace it

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • UA is my first reverb

• I don’t replace, I just add

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • It replaced _____ reverb

• Total voters

dk_ace

There's a happy contingent of people who love the UA pedals for what they are and their dreams of what they will become and there's a rabid group of people who hate the pedals for what they aren't in spite of wanting the tones and who don't want to wait for what is to come. One thing is clear, these are fantastic pedals that emotionally get people fired up, one way or another.
What is to come? Have they promised to add more presets and/or external control?

D

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
Because people with more money than sense will spend plenty on something boutique and obscure and cool looking for their Instagram pedalboards?
There are many who don't use Midi or want to delve into menus to manipulate parameters. I have may pedals that do midi, but its not for me and those options are pointless.

Many of us also have different boards for different purposes. A home board and a gigging board. Some like complexity when giggling and what to change everything with a press of one switch, while others have a core tone where much is set and forget with with the exception of one or two tones.

I like to fiddle with pedals at home, exploring settings and coming up with new textures, but when I am out I want it as simple as possible with no surprises.

Go into a good local shop and there are pedals that do less that costs more, so as I see it Universal Audio is doing just fine as they make their foray into the world of pedals.

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
Unmatched? That’s pretty questionable given the offerings of fractal, Ventris, Meris, CB, and strymon. I haven’t checked out the UA reverb because of its lack of enough presets. I could overlook midi if it was truly amazing. But given the competition, I don’t see why I would bother? I was going to order it when I heard about them then changed my mind seeing the lack of presets or midi. Can you point me to a clip or something that shows something unmatched by the competition? I wouldn’t rule it out if it’s truly noticeably better than all those other players.

D
I would suggest trying the Pedal out before you buy if that is an option for you. Sometimes what is on a Video Link doesn't fairly represent the pedal. The UA pedals are marketed as uncompromising recreations of the originals. Now, not having played the originals, but having sampled a lot, from the perspective of quality tone, UA appears to have hit their mark.

For some that is more than enough to justify a place on their board.

flpul

Silver Supporting Member
What is to come? Have they promised to add more presets and/or external control?

D
They haven't promised anything extra but are "listening to feedback". There are some obvious signs of what is to come. USB port for updates/connectivity and bluetooth plus app connectivity are here and active. The third LED has 2 colors, but are only using the red color at this moment so there is future expansion baked in. UA is famous for plugins, and it's obvious that there will be expansions that you could choose to add to your pedal in the future, again no promises, but it's easy to see the bones of the future here.

As far as presets and midi, for all we know, they could release a preset pedal that daisy chains via USB or controls all the pedals over bluetooth or you can just use your phone via app once they develop that out more. There's a lot of things they can do if they choose to do them. Maybe the pedals will just stay as they are and that's ok for me too... Inside though, I can't imagine they aren't working on some kickass plugins.

LoneStar73

Unmatched? That’s pretty questionable given the offerings of fractal, Ventris, Meris, CB, and strymon. I haven’t checked out the UA reverb because of its lack of enough presets. I could overlook midi if it was truly amazing. But given the competition, I don’t see why I would bother? I was going to order it when I heard about them then changed my mind seeing the lack of presets or midi. Can you point me to a clip or something that shows something unmatched by the competition? I wouldn’t rule it out if it’s truly noticeably better than all those other players.

D
I think you should try to hear them for yourself. I have tried a bunch of reverbs - Mercury 7, Big Sky, Flint, R1, Dark World, Afterneath, Dark Star, Talisman and now Golden. I use the Golden because the “traditional” sounds just seem head and shoulders above the rest. Very authentic to my ears. I do enjoy post rock, ambient, etc. though, so I still have Afterneath and Mercury 7 for when I’m working on the soundtrack to the forthcoming ”Pigs in Space” film. But you won’t know until you try them for yourself! :)

stubbyJ

Silver Supporting Member
If you have high quality gear the UA stuff will shine in how it preserves your signal. In a crap rig this aspect will be less evident.

Kennyscrown

I’m sure the UA pedals are fab, and for some people they meet an exact need in terms of sounds and features.

But I can’t help feeling - especially in light of the theme and name of this thread! - that people are buying them because they are the ‘next big thing’.

I understand the GAS - it rears up bad from time to time in me - but to eject a really great pedal to chase the latest offering is a bit sad. And very TGP.

flpul

Silver Supporting Member
I’m sure the UA pedals are fab, and for some people they meet an exact need in terms of sounds and features.

But I can’t help feeling - especially in light of the theme and name of this thread! - that people are buying them because they are the ‘next big thing’.

I understand the GAS - it rears up bad from time to time in me - but to eject a really great pedal to chase the latest offering is a bit sad. And very TGP.
I bought the golden because I wanted the classic sound reverbs in a box. Once I hooked it up in stereo, it is hard to explain how good it sounds. It truly nails the classic reverbs in a relatively small stompbox that isn't complex or hard to use. Then, I got the starlight, not because it was the next big thing but because the golden was so good. The starlight, with the special EP3 and DMM custom algorithms is also hard to believe, ping pongs, dry coloration, variable tape age, she's truly fantastic. So then I'm like, I can't imagine what the modulation has going, so I finally grabbed the Astra and the first strum of the Dynamic Harmonic Trem in stereo swinging left and right, speed dynamically changing with your playing, into the ping ponging DMM into a plate on the golden, man, these guys are doing things that make you smile. I'm sure some are buying because they are the next big thing, but don't discount what these things can do today. While I understand the feeling that these might be all talk, I highly recommend anyone on the fence to find a unit to try in stereo.

earwax

I bought the golden because I wanted the classic sound reverbs in a box. Once I hooked it up in stereo, it is hard to explain how good it sounds. It truly nails the classic reverbs in a relatively small stompbox that isn't complex or hard to use. Then, I got the starlight, not because it was the next big thing but because the golden was so good. The starlight, with the special EP3 and DMM custom algorithms is also hard to believe, ping pongs, dry coloration, variable tape age, she's truly fantastic. So then I'm like, I can't imagine what the modulation has going, so I finally grabbed the Astra and the first strum of the Dynamic Harmonic Trem in stereo swinging left and right, speed dynamically changing with your playing, into the ping ponging DMM into a plate on the golden, man, these guys are doing things that make you smile. I'm sure some are buying because they are the next big thing, but don't discount what these things can do today. While I understand the feeling that these might be all talk, I highly recommend anyone on the fence to find a unit to try in stereo.
What reverb were you using before?

In this comparison the Strymon has some great modulation(albeit it’s either on or off) but the UA does seem to leave that dry tone untouched and somehow pleasingly separate from the reverb.

Last edited:

Kennyscrown

Not the Fender-based spring algos, but there’s an EMT 140 and Lexicon 224 plugin. The algos on the Golden have been “tweaked”, so they might sound a little different than the plugins, but with more parameters that’s probably not too big an issue.
Do the plugins only work on their own audio interfaces or can you just purchase without that hardware? Their website is confusing, it says ‘exclusively powered by UAD hardware’ but then the individual plugins are available for purchase.

MrFuzzTone

Do the plugins only work on their own audio interfaces or can you just purchase without that hardware? Their website is confusing, it says ‘exclusively powered by UAD hardware’ but then the individual plugins are available for purchase.
UAD plugins only work on UAD hardware. You can't use them without the hardware.
I have an X4 and UAD-2 Satellite Octo

Junta

double post - but i guess a direct answer to your question as well:

Just replaced my Styrmon Flint with which I had a difficult relationship :facepalm with the UA Golden Reverberator...

Not to provoke users/admirers of the Flint ;), but I did not like its plate reverb at all!

And plate is pretty much all I use. I kept the Flint all these years for its harmonic trem ONLY (and what a great harmonic trem, i will miss that). But on an AMPLESS application like my mobile/headphone practice board below one definitely needs a really good reverb, or everything feels super dry (Please note the 'green light' on my IRIDIUM - Impulse Response only: the Revival Drive is the brain of this operation...). I tried one of my beloved Talisman (Talismen!), but it kind of sabotaged the stereo thing going on because it had to come before stereo pedals...

Enter the Golden. I cannot begin to tell you what an improvement it is over the FLINT's plate. Just awesome. For the record, on my main board with tube amps, I am using a Chase Bliss CXM 1978, so I know a thing or two about a good plate!

After half an hour of noodling, I am over the moon :)

Cheers!

Hot_Rolls

These are not the next big thing. In the recording/mixing world the UA DSP has been top of the heap for a looong time. If all you do in music is guitar stuff and you’re not so much into audio engineering then that would be easy to miss. Suggesting that we are somehow more vulnerable to UA marketing makes it clear that you don’t really know much about the company or how widely used the DSP is in the music industry.

When I’m mixing I don’t wish I had a plug-in of the plate from the strymon flint; that’s because I’m using the UA lex 224, 480 , emt 140, the akg spring, the ocean way room, etc. These are industry standard plugins and now they are in stomps and that’s why those who know are freaking out.

I had the el cap and dig. UA starlight sounds much better. The golden is the first reverb pedal I’ve spent big bucks on because I was very familiar with the plate and hall, but wow the spring is where I keep it

Last edited:

augur

The Golden did kick the Empress Reverb out of my board !
I find the UA to be very musical, easy to tweak, and sounding massive (especially in stereo with 2 guitar amps).
I don't like its spring that much (still kept the SA True Spring for this and the added tremolo footswitch), but the Plate and Hall settings are gorgious !

Plate on the Empress sounded very natural, I liked it for the past 4 years, but the UA is a bit above, fatter, and warmer.
The Hall setting on the UA is fabulous, massive, spacious, very very musical. I didn't use Hall setting that much on guitar before (I prefered it for synths), but it can definitely sound spacious but still natural !
When you push decay, you don't hear that much "digital artefacts", it decays musically and naturally.

The only downsides on the UA so far are :
- it doesn't sum to mono when only 1 cable is plugged in (Empress, SA and Neunaber does this, so easy to same pedalboard for mono or stereo output).
- no output volume (which can be very useful when you use 2 guitar amps on stage)
- only 1 memory slot
- when you recall this memory, you cannot see/find the recorded setting, so only use your ear (a clicking led would have been great)

Anyway, use only your ears and you might love it !
This is a simple pedal, definitely aimed to (guitar/bass) live players, and it does the job by far !

Top Bottom