Did the guys in Zep sing backing vocals in concert?

NB_Terry

Their albums list Page, JPJ and Bonham as singing backing vocals, but it really sounds like Plant did them.

What about live? Of the videos and pics I've seen, they don't ever seem to be near a mic.

zep41

Rarely, but yes sometimes.

- Page usually added a light harmony vocal to the refrain of Whole Lotta Love.

- Pretty sure it was Plant/Page/JPJ together on the "ahhh ahhhh" at the end of Thats the Way in 71/72/75

- Bonham provided backing vocal on Bron yr Aur Stomp in 72/73 and then Page did in 77.

- Bonham doing his intro in addition to some light harmony on The Ocean in 73.

- All four sang in unison the chorus to Tangerine at the Earls Court shows.

- and most famously...John Paul Jones on the answer vocal to Battle of Evermore in 77.

You are right, Plant did most of the backing vocal in studio -- but you can sort of tell which ones were not him (Communication Breakdown, Thank You, Gallows Pole)

NB_Terry

Rarely, but yes sometimes.

- Page usually added a light harmony vocal to the refrain of Whole Lotta Love.

- Pretty sure it was Plant/Page/JPJ together on the "ahhh ahhhh" at the end of Thats the Way in 71/72/75

- Bonham provided backing vocal on Bron yr Aur Stomp in 72/73 and then Page did in 77.

- Bonham doing his intro in addition to some light harmony on The Ocean in 73.

- All four sang in unison the chorus to Tangerine at the Earls Court shows.

- and most famously...John Paul Jones on the answer vocal to Battle of Evermore in 77.

You are right, Plant did most of the backing vocal in studio -- but you can sort of tell which ones were not him (Communication Breakdown, Thank You, Gallows Pole)

Wow, thanks. Great info..

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
It is true that the rest of the band only did sporadic backup vocals live. Plant was the voice in charge. Seeing them thirteen times, I rarely heard backup vocals, and when I did, they were not prominent.

Trending Topics