Did u dial in the gear or did it dial u in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by socalscott, Feb 28, 2012.

1. socalscott

socalscott Member

At times I've been surprised at how a player believes there has been desired changes to their tone, yet I would define the tone pretty close to unchanged.

Do you think it's fairly common that after a short period, dialing in tone is skewed by the very gear being dialed in?

I suppose this would be amongst players with limited amount of gear. Oops, that may be hard to relate to here, but we know 'they' exist.

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

You pose an interesting question. I'm taking it in a little different way. Thinking of how many amps I've tried to dial in, had trouble getting a handle on, until I put expectations and preconceptions aside and started experimenting.

Some equipment does seem to dial me in, outlasts my limited frame of reference, then rewards me later when I get more comfortable.
    MD

3. mignano

mignano Supporting Member

I've found that you really have to spend a lot of time working with your gear to get a good sound.

It seems like a lot of guys will buy something, not dig the sound, and then sell it right away and move onto something else. I used to do the same thing, then I found that if you spend a lot of time finding the right tubes, speakers, pickups, experimenting with tone controls etc., you can get great tone from just about any rig.

My rule is that if I'm getting 90% of the tone I hear in my head, than thats probably as close as I'm going to get!

4. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

if i like an instrument or amp or pedal,
    and if it survives one recording session and at least one live gig,
    then.....
    ..... i become, by default, committed to progressively "learning" it.

that often seems to work out well, for me, this "learning"-it-thing:
    new things to discover / uncover, when my perspective is 'open' and/or capable of shifting.
    it can take time, sometimes;
    but, it's worth it for me, if i dig the instrument/amp/etc.

5. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

I was schooled by a 65 ac100. Before I bought that amp I hadn't really experienced a cool interactive amp. Even at the lower volumes I played at, the amp was always doing something with my sound. It had great harmonic feedback that would pop up at just the right moment. It made my simple chords sound like the Who, just an overall encouragement to try new stuff directly from the amp. I did have a bunch of fx too, but they just made things more interesting....used just that amp for 15 years, finally gave it up, just tooooooo much wattage. But now I really know what I like in my amps.