Did VH use their best demo tunes on the new album IYO?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by carbz, Feb 8, 2012.

1. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I think they went a little overboard putting that many on the record but most of them came out rather well and even better then the originals. The one I really can't stand is "Beats workin" which I think is total cheese. It sounds like a bad Kiss tune or something. Personally I think at least either of these tunes are much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3cJk6CB8s0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp37Bov19Vk

2. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

I like those songs, but I think they made the right decision on the old cuts to include.

I'm enjoying re-recording of the old tracks on Truth, but I'll continue to listen to originals from the club days and the original demos as well. The recording and sound quality of the stuff from the mid/late '70s might not be so great, but the beauty of those tracks is it's played by a EVH young, hungry for success, and ready to put the world on notice that he has arrived. That's a moment in time that can't be duplicated or re-recorded.

3. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Personally, after thinking about this for a while based on all of the hoopla over the fact that they are re-recording demo songs for this album, I could care less.
    IT'S VH BACK WITH DLR!! (I mean, do you prefer Diver Down to this? Eddie cringes at that one due to all of the cover songs on it) Even Dave said that 'House of Pain' (from 1984) is an old song they used to play at backyard parties BEFORE VH1, so what you don't know won't hurt you.

Secondly, I think this is just a warm-up. I think they just wanted to see if they COULD do an album and tour together. If it pans out and EVH & DLR don't strangle each other, they'll keep going. Hey, you didn't see THE POLICE put out a new album of unreleased material before they bothered going on their (highly successful/lucrative) 'reunion' tour.....(and I just bought 'Certified' last weekend, which IS an awesome show).

They might be early demos, but they've recorded them with modern techniques and equipment. Probably sound 1000 times better now than they would had they been released 34yrs ago.

4. wideawake

wideawake Member

Just out of curiosity, which of the songs on the new record are actually new songs, and which are old demos?

For the record I am totally fine with them using old ideas.

5. Electric Storm

Electric Storm Member

I like the record, though that's not saying much since I also liked VHIII.

6. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

"Tattoo" uses parts from the never-recorded but often performed - in the late 70s - "Down in Flames"

"She's The Woman" retains its title and music from the club days

"You and Your Blues" is all new

"China Town" is all new

"Blood and Fire" recycles "Ripley," a riff that Eddie played on the soundtrack for "The Wild Life"

"Bullethead" retains its title and music from the club days

"As Is" is all new, although Ed once played the riff on the show "Two and a Half Men" and called it "Two Burritos and a Rootbeer Float"

"Honeybabysweetiedoll" is all new

"The Trouble With Never" is all new

"Outta Space" is a reworked "Let’s Get Rockin'"

"Stay Frosty" is all new

"Big River is a reworked "Big Trouble"

"Beats Workin'" is a reworked "Put out the Lights"

7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I think the big problem with using those demo's is that they have been available to the public for many years. I have nothing against using old material had they not been available to hear. The Warner Demos actually sound dam good so hearing them on this new album is not a big deal. The Gene Simmons demo's sound horrid. I think Chinatown is the best tune on the record. I like all the new tracks accept Honeybaby and You and your blues which just doens't sound like VH to me. It's not a bad tune, just sounds like someone else wrote it.