Did we discuss Eddie Murphy's appearance on SNL's 40th Anniversary?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by SinglecutGuy, Feb 19, 2015.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

Not sure if this was discussed yet.

I'm a huge Eddie Murphy fan. From Raw and Delirious, to his time on SNL. I think he was ( I say was because....) one of the funniest comedians to ever take the stage. It seems that he's just faded into the background now and hasn't done anything nearly as comical as he did when he was younger.

I was really hoping for a hilarious sketch or monologue with Eddie on Sunday night, but he stood there unamused and almost lethargic to his history. Even his pre-show interview was saddening. Not even from the perspective of what "I had hoped for", but he seemed to not even know what to say to the camera as he was being talked to.

What do you guys think? Is all the funny gone?

2. GuitarGuy3

GuitarGuy3 Member

He seemed to have a very elitist attitude about himself that night. Even on the pre show when Al Roker interviewed him I noticed it. He is one of the biggest stars of the comedy world but come on man. Maybe he was just so overwhelmed, he didn't know what to do with himself. That's just my opinion of him that night.

3. JPF

JPF Member

It sucked, and he may have lost it, not that it would be noticeable as he's long ceased to be relevant.

4. rivaeast

rivaeast Member

5. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

6. SinglecutGuy

A satyric sketch of Bill Cosby's current accusations is hardly the only thing Eddie Murphy could have performed. That's all well and fine (and somewhat respectful) that he chose not to do that sketch, but that was not the make or break moment of his appearance. He could have revived any of his previous characters even for a few minutes to gain the laughs of the millions of viewers who were waiting anxiously for his entry onto the stage.

7. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

:confused:

8. JPF

JPF Member

Thanks for posting that. I respect Eddie Murphy for taking the high road in this instance, although I still wonder why he didn't opt for a less hurtful sketch about a different subject. Perhaps there's some bad blood somewhere that only an insider could be aware of. Either way, when Eddie was on,, he was ON....!

9. drewl

drewl Member

This.
    And he's not funny anymore.

He was supposed to be in Ghostbusters, that would have been interesting but he did Beverly Hills Cop and became a superstar anyway.

10. SinglecutGuy

It's been well documented that the David Spade comment set Murphy off, and had a detrimental affect on Eddie's then future offers to return to SNL.

Then again, that was like, 20 years ago. Maybe time to let it go, and go back to being funny?

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

12. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Maybe he has become tired of the game?

13. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

He hasn't been funny in at least 20 years.

Saw an interview of his with (I think) James Lipton on the Actor's Studio and Eddie was almost comatose. No idea why he accepted to do it. He revealed almost nothing, did a couple of really forced jokes, and it was clear his pulse never rose over 60.

He seems happy in his life and has put it all behind him. From what I read, he doesn't party, doesn't do drugs or drink, and rarely if ever curses. Glad that he's happy in his life but it sounds to me that along with being content, he lost the motivation to be funny forever.

I personally doubt we'll see him in anything at all or perhaps anything good ever again.

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Diva still butthurt, and didnt like Kanye gettin' punked on the show either?

Wont do the Cosby pooty pops skit? Then, get all uppity and cop a 'tude for the masses.

This theory sure works for me...classy!

He used to be great. I mean, nothing was sacred to this guy through the years (especially Cosby!)...now he's grating.

And joins the Cheese Grater HOF with Kanye, Miles and Spike!

The loss of the above talent due to the destroying power of hatred is mindnumbing.

Oh well, life goes on. See ya, Jackass...

[​IMG]

S.
    j

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  15. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

I don't get posts like these. You see a thread about Eddie Murphy, who you clearly don't like (diva, jackass) and feel the need to let everyone know about that, it's so import that you take the time to hunt down a Shrek pic to make your point. Then you get in a subtle racial dig on him and that's not even accurate. Kanye was in on the jokes on SNL 40th, so highly doubtful Eddie Murphy was worked up about something that's only a reality in your mind. I don't like Kanye and Eddie Murphy I'm kind of meh about but some of you make me scratch my head about your need to let everyone know about your negativity.

Edit - Ha! I see you edited the racial dig out, why? If that's how you think, you might as well be honest about it.

16. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

17. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

not relevant for 20 years?
    ask millions of kids if donkey was funny in shrek
    sorry
    hundreds of millions
    maybe a billion?
    i wouldn't mind being irrelevant like that

18. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

This is about Murphy's racism, and his refusal to serve his world class talent.
    Kanye WISHES he could have 1% of Eddie's career.
    What EM doesnt get is how it is so counterproductive to what a guy like him COULD achieve with his gifts.
    He's too selfish/angry to see the bigger picture. Even if he could SEE the bigger picture, he appears to be powerless over himself
    to do a damn thing about it. He did great in Shrek...GREAT. Did anyone see 'Tower Heist'...that was the other side of the man, IMO. At any rate, his body of work will stand the test of time.
    His attitude, anger will not. If he proves me wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

Sorry you guys dont get that.

S.
    j

19. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

SNL should've invited Charlie Murphy instead... he's still got the funny.

20. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Interesting, as black racism/racial prejudice is one of the most woefully under-discussed topics concerning social order and prosperity. I haven't followed Murphy, and he has never really interested me. Do you have examples of his racial attitudes and prejudices? I wasn't aware of this, but am interested.