Did you ever love a pedal so much that you

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 70 Mach 1, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Agitator

Agitator Member

I've done this. I've bought knockoffs of pedals I like so that I can put them on multiple boards -- an Eno "Rat Distortion" and a Henretta "Emerald Prince" (EP-3 preamp).

The only true duplicate pedal I have is one of the "least TGP pedals ever" -- a CS-2. I love the one I bought in 1992 and always have. When I found that a buddy had one he wasn't using, I traded him a Pedaltrain 1 that I wasn't using for it.

2. ES330

ES330 Member

Interesting, I've been looking for a CS-2 for sometime.

3. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I wish I could, but getting an additional RotoPlex is not a very likely thing.....

However, other than Paul's amazing creations, I just don't see anything being so scarce that I COULDN'T get another version if I wanted to...

ALSO - I'd like to say that since I'm not a super famous artist with a particular sound that I NEED to recreate, I just can't see needing anything in the future....I can just grab a tone from something similar and jam away. :)

rsm and Wolfboy1 like this.
  4. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

I have two DS-1 pedals. One is stock and made in my high school graduation year.

The other, I've modded to hell and I love it. Might pick up another and mod that one, too.

5. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

This wins TGP for the day. Have a great day, everyone. See you next time.

6. lugnut111

lugnut111 Member

Paul Gilbert digs the mojo mojo as well.

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  7. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I've considered it but there is so much overlap in tone with pedals, especially OD, that I'm not worried about it. I wouldn't mind picking up a Jetter Helium in case my RED2 kicks the can, but I'm done collecting gear out of paranoia just to tie up funds for years.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  8. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

Never did. If something breaks down, I consider it an opportunity to try something else.

9. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Interesting because you don't hear much positive stuff about the Mojo Mojo on hear. (I've always wondered if it was a matter of pedal/amp EQs.) Are they still $50?

I bought a second Ibanez FL-99 flanger because I loved the pedal and thought it might get expensive later (i.e., I wanted to get it when it was cheap, not to sell at a higher price later), plus they seemed a bit rare.

I bought a second Arion SCH-Z chorus because they sounded good, were going for $20, and seemed flimsy. Also bought a second Arion SAD-3 because it was so cheap, though it didn't sound that great (really is SAD for an analog delay).

Have a Barber Gain Changer on both of my boards. It was so great sounding and affordable and I thought it would save wear and tear on the jacks and patch cables (especially George L's).

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Yes. Had 2 DM2's for a while.

Now i have 3 DMB Lunar Echo's---one is a spare. No longer made and unmatched IMO.

I got a '96 Fulldrive long ago that was a cornerstone to my sound and the later versions did not sound the same. So i found another '96 and it is now on a separate board.

rusty likes this.
  11. AVWIII

AVWIII Member

I loved my Joyo AC Tone so much I bought the tech 21 liverpool that it was cloned from, if that counts.

What type of settings do you use for your mojomojo? I have one and simply can't get into it.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  12. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

eq 12 O'clock, sometimes a tad more bass. Drive to suit song usually around 1-3 OC.
    level to suit room

this is one pedal i never had to eff with all day long to hear a nice tone. sounds great straight up.

playing thru LPs, strats, vintage Ibanez Artist, thru vintage and modern Fender and Peavey amps.

13. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Oh yeah. I have backups for a few of my favorite pedals.

14. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

RE OP: Yes, but I stopped that.

However, I still do it with amps though never with a guitar.

15. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

Sure.
    For a while I bought every first issue, made in the UK Marshall Guv'nor I came across.
    I have a couple away as gifts to people who really dig and still have them.
    I eventually sold them all and bought a Les Paul.

16. Agent76

Agent76 Member

I used to buy duplicates. I had some rare stuff, kept them for a while and sold them as common place before they became sought after. White dot Sun Face comes to mind, some delays, Skreddy pedals.

Oh well

17. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My Rimrock Mythical Overdrives.

sanfi4u and losrogers like this.
  18. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I currently have multiple OD-3s & ST-2s.
    When a particular flavor earns its place as a staple for me I tend to duplicate it across my large and small boards.
    Had several DL4s & DE7s before also.

19. CaprioM85

CaprioM85 Member

That's not a bad one to have to have a backup. Easy on the wallet. I have a backup TS9 in case mine every decides to quit. I also have a few "must haves" that I never had on my board yet just in case I need them.

20. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

Interesting though. I might have to grab another dark blue FF mini. Its not my goto jammer but it has a unique tone I like having around.