Did you guys see the MOD Devices stompbox?

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting. Doesn't seem like it would work as an all-in-one modelling solution. But it seems like it could be good with something like the Amplifire. Instead of getting an Eventide H9, you could use this. My main concerns are:
1) Are the plugins that are available any good sound-quality-wise?
2) Are there going to be any other plugins created and if-so, how much will they cost?
Seems like it might be nice to get a year or two down the road, but if everyone has that attitude, it will never get off the ground in the first place :D
-
Austin

ERGExplorer

I've seen various plug-in boxes over the years. It's an exciting idea, but I've never seen long-term success.

I think part of the problem is that demos for this kind of product often talk about what should be possible, instead of just saying, here's one combination (playing demo), here's a second combination (playing demo), and so on.

The videos for this device don't do much beyond showing me that a few of the knobs work. Don't tell me about its potential, show me that potential. Give me something along the lines of a PGS demo, where I can see the thing in action.

----

I find it interesting that convolvers have become standard for some high-end guitar gear, and that the Logidy Epsi can do reverbs as well as amps/cabs. One big reason I think convolvers have more of a successful track record than plug-in boxes is that an IR (Impulse Response) is not proprietary. The programming is all about how to apply an existing IR to the input sound. Anyone can load an IR.

Plug-in hardware relies on either knowing how to program the sound you want, or finding a plug-in from someone who does.

Viabcroce

I like the idea, and the rear Ethernet connection makes me think there will be controllers available in the future apart from MIDI.

Another thing I like is that the SDK for further modules is public, and there's a forum where developers and users can meet. A sort of direct Ideascale if you will? :)

I also see there are amp simulations, so not sure I get your concerns @atquinn ?

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
All their videos demonstrate the same thing and we don't have a demo. Idk what they are thinking.

CreamTele2

The clips are limited, but out there:

Its an open source plugin base, I don't know if they're any good, and have no association with MOD, but I wish them luck. I'll stick with my Source Audio gear for now. The PC/Mac interface UX looks amazing.

longi

It looks like a lot like an M5 physically! But it's quite expensive for something that there's no information on.

rsm

why not support VST/VSTi? Not sure how many plugins will be available in this format, and when, or the quality...

really wish the SM-Pro Audio V-Machine and V-Pedal idea was better received in the market.

thoro

But it's quite expensive for something that there's no information on.
I second that. I really like the idea of such a tool but the website gives just too little insight and examples of the product in action.

I'm located in Berlin – just like the Mod Duo team – and I think I will give them some feedback.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
When someone makes a little box smaller and cheaper than a Mac Book Pro that can host something as powerful as Spectrasonics Omnisphere II then I'm interested.
As for guitar effects and modeling I already have excellent choices...Helix, AmpliFIRE, Fractal AX8.....
I don't think that device is bringing anything new or better than those I already have, at least based on the demos I see so far.

chrisjnyc

Is this the new Istomp? Cool idea, but hard to make it work when you have so many great single stomp boxes out there, and also multi FX pedals with tons of FX on tap.

Trending Topics