Did you know people are STILL recreating Titanic moment on boats all over the world?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by StompBoxBlues, Jul 21, 2019.

1. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

And all those doing the Titanic pose probably think they are being very original.
    I thought the Rocky thing was after a traumatic experience, you close one eye and scream "Adrian!"

Jason_77 likes this.
  2. somecafone

somecafone Member

I’m surprised @PLX or @Eric Rowland haven't posted a gif of a binder paper sailboat being struck by an ice cube.

shane8, PLX, A-Bone and 1 other person like this.
  3. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Supporting Member

i gess thissll half toodoo...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    LDS22, sixstringfuel, shane8 and 6 others like this.
  4. hellbender

hellbender Member

On the roof too?

5. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

I don’t care what anybody says, I thought James Cameron did a fantastic job with Titanic. Fictional story with extremely well researched science about the sinking. Granted, I can’t sit through the whole movie as I think the love story gets old. But I can tell you I worked in a movie theater in college when that movie came out and tons of women were coming back to see it 3 and 4 times.

6. Stike

Stike Member

These are the people that didn't start saying "on fleek" until they saw a story about the phrase on Good Morning America.

Blue410 and A-Bone like this.
  7. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

You'd think that after the first time they would have known how it ended. :dunno

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I believe it! But also consider that while the real setting is of course going to inspire it the most, it's not really necessary and a lot of people probably just wing it on steps all over. Some don't even need the steps.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

For me it was just terrible. We brought our son, daughter and sons friend to see it.
    I just couldn’t get into it and honestly it seemed so ham handed in its manipulation of the audience. I really like DiCaprio but in that movie could not buy him as this roughneck, conman, world weary person. The woman’s husband was so melodramatically “evil and rotten” I kept waiting for him to take puppy dogs up to the deck, and start kicking them off into the ocean, while twiddling his handlebar mustache.

Just nothing about it rang true to me. It was hokey, over sentimental, didn’t deliver. Luckily some sixth sense told me as we left not to blurt out “GOD that was awful” when we were walking back from the theatre, because my sons friend who was I think fifteen exclaimed “that was the BEST movie EVER!” And thanked us for bringing him along. I’m very glad I didn’t say anything then.

It’s just my opinion, but it was just torture to me, I’m not sure why so violent reaction but as I say, I was seeing things coming a mile away, seeing the manipulation, not into it, thought the big scene at the bow was...embarrassingly schlocky. Maybe I’ve seen to many movies they took techniques from, I don’t know, but hey...if someone is touched by it and likes it, good!

But we gotta do something about all these recreations on ever damned boat. No?

Tom CT, AaeCee, Big'Uns and 1 other person like this.
  10. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

So if you were teaching a class on 90s Hollywood cinema, would you not include the film on the syllabus?

Beto, sixstringfuel and AaeCee like this.
  11. Swami Asango

Swami Asango Member

no

12. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

sixstringfuel, shane8, yfeefy and 4 others like this.
  13. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

Never underestimate the power of a sappy love story combined with bored housewives.

shane8 and StompBoxBlues like this.
  14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Man do I ever agree with this assessment! I've been saying basically the same ever since I wasted my time watching that sickeningly sweet retread (truly!). A terrible waste of a film, and with the exception of Terminator, just another dripping piece of garbage from that pandering huckster Cameron. IMO of course. :)

StompBoxBlues likes this.
  15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I know this wasn't directed toward me and forgive my intrusion, but I couldn't resist ...

I would include it due to the significant number of accolades it received from The Academy as well as its commercial success, but also to encourage conflicting views of said significance to be considered. You know, all in the name of constructive criticism of course. ;)

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think it would be a great opportunity to dissect, and show the sentimentality, the manipulation that wasn’t subtle (vs. A film that engaged one and was not overtly sentimental, by the numbers).

So yes, I’d include it. As bad cinema.

sixstringfuel, AaeCee and A-Bone like this.
  17. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

that's nice.

18. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Don't. I live near there (Abbey Road) and its a **** traffic nightmare

Angeln, sixstringfuel and A-Bone like this.
  19. shane8

shane8 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VooDooClown likes this.
  20. shane8

shane8 Member