did you like ABBA 's singing ?

d95err

ABBA is simply brilliant on all levels. The songs can sound deceptively simple, but when you look deeper into it, it is often very complex arrangements and structures.

Brilliant singing and playing (by real live misicians of course) and very creative studio work contributes.

One key to the ABBA sound is overdubbing the vocals while running the tape at a slightly different speed.

standard24

I got distracted when the girls were in those very short skirts...

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that one of their songwriters is still writing HUGE hits for today's pop artists.

chillybilly

Frida & Agnetha dutifully laid down vocal track after vocal track.

There was a 'Classic Albums' episode (or similar documentary) that included an interview with their studio engineer. He did an A/B demonstration of their 'trick' of tape machines running side-by-side with one slowed (detuned) just the tiniest amount. He played one machine alone ie dry then kicked the second one on. ZAP! You heard the ABBA sound...rich, full, chorus-y.

2-inch analog tape doesn't hurt either. Recently we debated using a state of the art studio vs a vintage place that used tape. But the tape ain't cheap so budgets dictated the digital option (ironically).

TB72

I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd take-a-chance take-a-chance take-a-take-a chance-chance.

Not something I'll go out of my way to listen to, but there's no denying the talent.

Will Box

Lovely voices that blend together and create magic. Production and song writing second to none. And, for us muso nerds, crack session players. Guitar ace Jan Schaffer played on most of the early stuff, there are some really cool licks on Mamma Mia for instance. Rutger Gunnarssons melodic bass playing is allways worth listening to, (Dee Murray of Elton Johns band was another bassman in the same vein).

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I can understand every word that comes out of their mouths. And English is not even their natural language. Their diction is perfect. Which is more that i can say for modern “artists”
Many years ago I saw a documentary on ABBA. A big part of their sound was their vocal diction. Since English was not their native language they worked very hard on the pronunciation of the lyrics.
In the documentary the were playing back the "dry" vocals and them someone mentioned "Here is the secret to their vocals" and added some kind of effect. Sounded amazing.

And yes, I'm a HUGE ABBA fan. Always have been and always will be.

sws1

I like the songs and production far more than the singing, which is ho hum to me.

GtrGeorge!

It's fashionable to like ABBA now, in a kind of hipster way, but I didn't like them back in the day and still dislike them very much today
Yes, hipsters care very much about how they are perceived. If fashions change, so do they. Fair weather friends. But good art Lives for a long time. ABBA crafted smart songs, that were catchy, excellently produced and carefully promoted. I don’t doubt they out sold the stones. The stones couldn’t even bother to tune up for “lady Jane “. Sure they got better, but ABBA dotted every i, crossed every t. A massive, sustained effort.

Trending Topics